Ilumination penalty with Area of Effect Powers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ilumination penalty with Area of Effect Powers

When casting powers that use an area of effect template (MBT, Cone, etc) such as Havoc, Blast, Burst, Stun, should we apply the illumination penalty? I would say yes and I know with bolt you would, but I figure it's harder to hit a specific target with a small bolt vs hitting multiple targets with a medium blast template or cone where you just need to aim at a general area. Maybe the penalty should be halved?

Thanks,

Originally posted by basic_element View Post
    When casting powers that use an area of effect template (MBT, Cone, etc) such as Havoc, Blast, Burst, Stun, should we apply the illumination penalty? I would say yes and I know with bolt you would, but I figure it's harder to hit a specific target with a small bolt vs hitting multiple targets with a medium blast template or cone where you just need to aim at a general area. Maybe the penalty should be halved?
    Yep, as noted under Casting Requirements, the use of powers does require seeing the target, and per Illumination on page 102 <italics added>, "Subtract the following penalties from rolls affected by Illumination, such as attacks, Notice rolls, the use of powers, etc."

That said, for the Blast templates, the target is a location, so the character could choose a better lit location as the center while foes in darker areas would still be in the overall area affected. Cone templates have an advantage in this case as they emanate from the caster, so there's no specific target to inflict illumination penalties, but the caster still needs some general idea where the ones they wish to affect are...or just choose a direction and keep their fingers crossed.

Hope that helps.
    Clint Black
    Forum Admin & Rules Answer Guy
    Savage Worlds Brand Manager

Comment

Working...
    X