question on combat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question on combat

So my group plays a few games. We run an OSR BECMI D&D game, and then a Deadlands game in Rotation. So while I've been on this forum a while, I'm not very experienced with running combat. I had to get that out of the way so I could ask a really newb question. Do ranged powers work like ranged weapons in combat?

My huckster is attacking a zombie with a burst of power. On my turn, I roll attack. I use my Spellcasting of D10 + D6 Is this against a static target number of 4, or is it against the zombie's spirit or some other target number? And when resolving damage do I roll a D10 + a D6 (wild die) against a target number of my opponent's toughness? Do I just roll the D10? Lastly applying damage and counting raises if successful.

I know combat is simple in this game as opposed to Pathfinder. But I feel like I'm missing something. Combat in our group is somewhat clunky at times. And this is mostly my fault. Few of my players know the game very well. So while I will own most of the clunkiness, they contribute to it by not knowing the game yet. My next game session is in October, so I have some time to smooth this out.

Thanks in advance guys!

Ack.

Originally posted by ack View Post
    So my group plays a few games. We run an OSR BECMI D&D game, and then a Deadlands game in Rotation. So while I've been on this forum a while, I'm not very experienced with running combat. I had to get that out of the way so I could ask a really newb question. Do ranged powers work like ranged weapons in combat?

[I]My huckster is attacking a zombie with a burst of power. On my turn, I roll attack. I use my Spellcasting of D10 + D6 Is this against a static target number of 4, or is it against the zombie's spirit or some other target number?
    By "burst of power," I'm going to presume the literal Burst power to start out with.

First off, any static TN is always 4 except for two specific cases; Parry and Toughness (opposed rolls use the other character's total as the "TN").

And specific regards arcane powers, per Activation in the Powers section, "A character activates a power by picking a target within Range and making an arcane skill roll. A roll less than 4 means the power doesn’t activate," and "A roll of 4 or higher means the power activates."

Of course, that's the basic TN as any penalties effectively require a higher result to get a 4+ total in the end.

Now, if by "burst of power," the reference is to the Bolt power, note that it specifies in the description of the power that other penalties apply to it (as a single target attack) than to any other damaging power.

Originally posted by ack View Post
    And when resolving damage do I roll a D10 + a D6 (wild die) against a target number of my opponent's toughness? Do I just roll the D10? Lastly applying damage and counting raises if successful.
    The effect of each power is in the power description, which lists the damage done for any power (Burst, Bolt, Blast, etc.) which do direct damage. Typically 2d6 damage or 3d6 with a raise or better.

And just to clarify the "counting raises" (plural) point, an attacker only gets +1d6 damage regardless of the number of raises rolled on the attack result.

So, when resolving damage, the character would (typically) roll 2d6 damage (adding all the dice together) and compare it to Toughness.

Hope that helps.
    Clint Black
    Forum Admin & Rules Answer Guy
    Savage Worlds Brand Manager

Comment

Working...
    X