More Two Weapon Fighting questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Two Weapon Fighting questions

I’ve been thinking a lot about two weapon fighting as describe on pg 108-109 in SWADE the last couple of days and something occurred to me. I’d always assumed that to get the +1 bonus against opponents without two weapons or a shield, you needed to *attack* with both weapons on your turn. But that’s not what it actually says. It says “A character *armed* with two melee weapons…”

This got me thinking:
    1. How does that interact with Martial Artists, who, unless they literally have one arm, would always be considered armed with two weapons?
    2. If “yes” to question 1, does this mean others targeting them armed with 2 weapons would not get a +1 bonus against them?
    3. What about creatures with claws or similar Natural Weapons on each hand/limb?
    4. You can shield bash, is a sword and board character always considered armed with two melee weapons…?
    RAW, I would be pressed to say yes to all these situations, but I don’t think that’s the intention of the rule. Am I missing something?

Originally posted by ellipses View Post
    I’ve been thinking a lot about two weapon fighting as describe on pg 108-109 in SWADE the last couple of days and something occurred to me. I’d always assumed that to get the +1 bonus against opponents without two weapons or a shield, you needed to *attack* with both weapons on your turn. But that’s not what it actually says. It says “A character *armed* with two melee weapons…”

This got me thinking:
    How does that interact with Martial Artists, who, unless they literally have one arm, would always be considered armed with two weapons?
    Takes a couple of cross-referenced rules to fully explain, so bear with me, and I'll try to make it as clear as possible.

<italics added in all cases below>

First, per Two Weapons, "A character armed with two melee weapons," and "Melee Weapons" are a specific gear category (on page 72).

Then under the Martial Artist Edge, "Her fists and feet are weapons (see Natural Weapons, page 104), so she’s always considered armed."

Which takes us to Natural Weapons, "Creatures with natural weapons are always considered armed. This means they aren’t Unarmed Defenders and foes fighting with Two Weapons gain no advantage against them (see page 108)."

So, the distinction here is creatures or characters with Natural Weapons are "considered" armed, but are not, in fact, armed with melee weapons. The second sentence specifies the exact affects, that they are not considered Unarmed Defenders and foes with Two Weapons get not advantage.

What it does not state is that they count as actually being armed with two melee weapons. If so, they would both gain the benefits of Two Weapons, and foes could not use it against them. Instead, Natural Weapons only grants them the second effect.

I[*]If “yes” to question 1, does this mean others targeting them armed with 2 weapons would not get a +1 bonus against them?
    What about creatures with claws or similar Natural Weapons on each hand/limb?
    Just to reiterate, Two Weapons does not grant a bonus against creatures or characters with natural weapons.

Noted under Natural Weapons as listed above and under Two Weapons as well, "It adds no bonus against creatures with Natural Weapons (page 104)."

You can shield bash, is a sword and board character always considered armed with two melee weapons…?
    Nope. Shields are specifically called out under Two Weapons, "if his foe has a single weapon or is unarmed, and has no shield," and neither are they in the Melee Weapons category in the Gear section.

So, in short, a character actually has to be wielding two melee weapons to gain the benefits from Two Weapons.

Hope that helps and clarifies.
    Clint Black
    Forum Admin & Rules Answer Guy
    Savage Worlds Brand Manager

Comment

Working...
    X