Free attacks...again ;)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free attacks...again ;)

So looking for some further clarification from this post: https://www.pegforum.com/forum/savag...aging-in-melee

In particular, this question and reply in italics:

Originally posted by Jensolovski View Post
    I want to run past an NPC in a corridor. I have no intention of engaging him or hitting him - I have the higher Initiative card and he is not on hold. Will the NPC get a free attack as I run past him within his reach?

The NPC can attack. You enter melee when you hit a square they can affect.

So, our group's question:

Fighter A takes her turn, she plans to attack Fighter B. She moves towards Fighter B to close distance and attack with her sword. So does Fighter B get a free attack as soon as Fighter A hits a square Fighter B can effect?

Thanks for any clarity.

Originally posted by Padre Moto View Post
    So looking for some further clarification from this post: https://www.pegforum.com/forum/savag...aging-in-melee

In particular, this question and reply in italics:

Originally posted by Jensolovski View Post
    I want to run past an NPC in a corridor. I have no intention of engaging him or hitting him - I have the higher Initiative card and he is not on hold. Will the NPC get a free attack as I run past him within his reach?

The NPC can attack. You enter melee when you hit a square they can affect.

So, our group's question:

Fighter A takes her turn, she plans to attack Fighter B. She moves towards Fighter B to close distance and attack with her sword. So does Fighter B get a free attack as soon as Fighter A hits a square Fighter B can effect?
    Nope, not unless Fighter B has First Strike (or some similar ability) allowing an attack when a foe moves into Reach.

The key part of the previous question was <italics added>, "I want to run past an NPC." So the character would "enter melee" when they get within Reach, but the source of the attack is running past and then Withdrawing from Melee (page 109).

Hope that helps.
    Clint Black
    Forum Admin & Rules Answer Guy
    Savage Worlds Brand Manager

Comment

Working...
    X