Is Grappling an action?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Grappling an action?

I know starting a grapple is an action, but say it comes around to your turn later and you want to, say, whip out a pistol and shoot someone while continue to hold onto the guy you grappled last turn. Is keeping the guy grappled an action, and subsequently impose a –2 penalty to firing the gun? The common sense answer feels like "yes" but it's not clear in the text.

If so, does Crushing, or trying to grapple again to get an Entangled victim to be Bound, also suffer that Multi-Action penalty? I know that might feel like a steep penalty for the grappler, but since Entangled victims are always Distracted, the MAP applying to Crush / further grapple the victim would mean it's an even opposed roll—without the MAP crushing or further grappling a target would heavily favor the "attacker," and I don't know if that's the intent or not.

This is an older answer from Clint on the topic from back in the SWD days and I want to see how much of it holds true or if it's changed at all, since the results of grappling has been codified into the core rules since then.
    Join the Unofficial Savage Worlds Discord! Check out Expanded Wealth!

My thoughts, musings, and general character adaptations on Savage Everything.

Is keeping the guy grappled an action, and subsequently impose a –2 penalty to firing the gun?
    Yes

If so, does Crushing, or trying to grapple again to get an Entangled victim to be Bound, also suffer that Multi-Action penalty?
    Yes. Crushing specifically says "as an action" in the book.

Comment

Working...
    X