No announcement yet.

Remote Viewing needs a nerf or counter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a note pkitty I am not trying to be argumentative or disagreeing "just because". I am not even opposed to an Opposed Spirit roll.

But I am imagining player characters not scrying on Bob the Big Bad, but choosing to scry on the throne room instead and just following Bob around as a way to get a target of 4. I am normally not a fan of mechanics easily evaded by PCs doing basic tactics. Though at 3 power points per room shift it would get expensive to try and scry the room over the individual.

Comment

One thought I just had (in addition to the ones above) is that it might be fairer if you have to know that the person exists and know that the place they're in exists. (E.g., you don't have to know specifically that Emperor Prosek is in the Dark Vault, but if he is there you have to know that the Dark Vault exists.) So if they're in a secret room that you have no knowledge of, it fails -- or takes a huge penalty. Combined with removing "you can look around" as the Raise effect, that would go a long way toward preventing someone from just exposing every secret in the game.

Comment

Here's how I'd revise Remote Viewing for game balance in Rifts specifically. PEGRoberson, feel free to steal this (it's roughly the same word count). Everyone else, please don't hesitate to weigh in on it.

------------------------------------

The caster secretly spies on a distant item, creature, or location. Casting takes one minute, during which she’s Vulnerable, cannot take other actions, and fails if she is Shaken or Stunned.

If targeting an unwilling person, they oppose with Smarts but are unaware (the GM rolls for players). The caster’s arcane skill is at -2 to scry a location she’s never visited, or fails if she doesn’t know the location exists. Scrying a different region of the world imposes a -2 penalty, or -4 for another dimension. She has -2 if targeting an item or creature she’s never seen in person. Conceal arcana and similar abilities impose their penalties. All modifiers stack.

Success lets the caster clearly see or hear (her choice) as if standing in the same location. On a raise, she gets vision, hearing, and smell.

Comment

Originally posted by pkitty View Post
          Here's how I'd revise Remote Viewing for game balance in Rifts specifically. PEGRoberson, feel free to steal this (it's roughly the same word count). Everyone else, please don't hesitate to weigh in on it.

------------------------------------

The caster secretly spies on a distant item, creature, or location. Casting takes one minute, during which she’s Vulnerable, cannot take other actions, and fails if she is Shaken or Stunned.

If targeting an unwilling person, they oppose with Smarts but are unaware (the GM rolls for players). The caster’s arcane skill is at -2 to scry a location she’s never visited, or fails if she doesn’t know the location exists. Scrying a different region of the world imposes a -2 penalty, or -4 for another dimension. She has -2 if targeting an item or creature she’s never seen in person. Conceal arcana and similar abilities impose their penalties. All modifiers stack.

Success lets the caster clearly see or hear (her choice) as if standing in the same location. On a raise, she gets vision, hearing, and smell.
          Generally it works okay, but I would never codify "the GM rolls for the players" into a game. If the player's character is allowed a roll then let them roll. If not, then not. But it is better to have no roll or GM use fiat than it is to have the GM roll on behalf of the player. How can a player chose to use bennies or other mechanics when the GM is 'secretly rolling' on his or her behalf?

Comment

PS: As a GM there have been times I needed to roll secretly for a player. But I offered them a benny for it as a compromise for taking the choice from them.

Comment

Working...
            X