we're having a discussion about Power Armor & Sharpshooting multiple action penalties

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kellary
    Registered Member
    • Jan 2020

we're having a discussion about Power Armor & Sharpshooting multiple action penalties

I am curious what the collective opinion on this is, Power Armor has a possible -2 multi-action penalty/range or other penalty reduction, how does that combine with a suit that has the quickness trait with it's -2 multiple action penalty reduction & a pilot with sharpshooting that cuts the multi-action penalty in half?. I come down on the two -2 reducers don't stack to -4 side of this, with the edge cutting that modified penalty in half, but the argument that since it something that is chosen instead of using it for range or other penalty reduction it should stack makes some logical sense to me also
  • paladin2019
    Registered Member
    • Oct 2018

Originally posted by Kellary
    I am curious what the collective opinion on this is, Power Armor has a possible -2 multi-action penalty/range or other penalty reduction, how does that combine with a suit that has the quickness trait with it's -2 multiple action penalty reduction & a pilot with sharpshooting that cuts the multi-action penalty in half?. I come down on the two -2 reducers don't stack to -4 side of this, with the edge cutting that modified penalty in half, but the argument that since it something that is chosen instead of using it for range or other penalty reduction it should stack makes some logical sense to me also
    Let's review a moment...

Power Armor STS: -2 to named shooting penalties including MAP
    Sharpshooting: -4 to named penalties at ROF 1, not including MAP

Quickness: -2 MAP, is a Power Modifier for speed. What PA is it added to? Or are you speculating a TW suit that has that as an embedded power?

In any event, if a PA trooper with the Sharpshooting Edge and enhanced by the Quickness Power Modifier is shooting pretty much anything besides a railgun, he has a high probability of being able to make three ROF 1 ranged attacks in a turn at no penalty, and might even be able to do so when running.

Comment

• Kellary
      Registered Member
      • Jan 2020

ugh. I meant trick shooting edge from pg 32 empires of humanity. One of our players is deciding whether or not to try to build it into the suit of NG Sabre Armor he is rebuilding through weird science

Comment

• Maelgwyn
        Maelgwyn commented
        Editing a comment
        I didn't realise that Weird Science allowed you to add edges to gear, only powers? I thought that only Technowizardry could add edges?
    • paladin2019
      Registered Member
      • Oct 2018

Originally posted by Kellary
      ugh. I meant trick shooting edge from pg 32 empires of humanity. One of our players is deciding whether or not to try to build it into the suit of NG Sabre Armor he is rebuilding through weird science
      So in this case, because Sharp Shooting is a requirement, everything I said stands, except that the suit driver can definitely make the attacks without penalty when running. That is the operative effect of Trick Shooting in this instance. The halving of MAP isn't a non-factor as STS and Quickness have likely already reduced it to 0. If the STS modifier has to be used for something else then Trick Shooting will come into play. Now we have the crux of the question. Does Quickness reduce the MAP to (4-2=) 2 then Trick Shooting halves it to (2x1/2=) 1 or does Trick Shooting apply first (4x1/2=2) then Quickness to brings it to (2-2=) 0? I'm pretty sure order of operations has been addressed before, I just can't find it. (Standard math would suggest the latter process, however No Power Points points to the former.)
      Last edited by paladin2019; 06-29-2020, 10:14 PM.

Comment

• Radecliffe
        Banned
        • Aug 2017

Based on what I read in an official answer (which I haven't been able to find yet) edges would apply first then power effects are applied. I'll edit when I find the official answer.

Edit: Found the reference I was looking for. Not the exact same but the process seems consist with what is being done here only here we have bonuses instead of penalties.

https://www.pegforum.com/forum/savag...and-darkvision
        Last edited by Radecliffe; 06-29-2020, 10:22 PM.

Comment

• paladin2019
          Registered Member
          • Oct 2018

Originally posted by Radecliffe
          Based on what I read in an official answer (which I haven't been able to find yet) edges would apply first then power effects are applied. I'll edit when I find the official answer.

Edit: Found the reference I was looking for. Not the exact same but the process seems consist with what is being done here only here we have bonuses instead of penalties.

https://www.pegforum.com/forum/savag...and-darkvision
          So based on this, Trick Shooting is the base for the character, halving the MAP from -4 to -2 then Quickness applies to lower the penalty by 2 to -0.

Comment

• Kellary
            Registered Member
            • Jan 2020

Maelgwyn we just used The Warriors Gift Power, combat edges only but for Powered Armor that works just fine.

Comment

Working...