Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaken versus MDC

Greetings and thanks for being here.

I'm planning my next session of Savage Rifts and came across a situation I didn't expect.
    Wild Vampire versus SAMAS Power Armor.

In one direction its very clear what will happen, the SAMAS can shake the vampire but not wound it.
    In the other direction though it seems clear but I'm not certain.
    I know the vampire can't wound the SAMAS, but can it shake him?

My question:
    Can a non mega damage melee attack cause an MDC target to be shaken? (If it rolls high enough damage of course)

Mega Damage and MDC equates to the Heavy rules in Savage Worlds.
    So I looked those up, but they use unclear terms such as Hurt or Harmed.
    I'm not sure that being shaken is being Hurt or Harmed.

So I'm not sure if the Vampire can shake the power armor, or if the vampire can have no effect at all.

Any insight would be most appreciated.

Originally posted by SillyDodger View Post
    Greetings and thanks for being here.

I'm planning my next session of Savage Rifts and came across a situation I didn't expect.
    Wild Vampire versus SAMAS Power Armor.

In one direction its very clear what will happen, the SAMAS can shake the vampire but not wound it.
    In the other direction though it seems clear but I'm not certain.
    I know the vampire can't wound the SAMAS, but can it shake him?

My question:
    Can a non mega damage melee attack cause an MDC target to be shaken? (If it rolls high enough damage of course)

Mega Damage and MDC equates to the Heavy rules in Savage Worlds.
    So I looked those up, but they use unclear terms such as Hurt or Harmed.
    I'm not sure that being shaken is being Hurt or Harmed.

So I'm not sure if the Vampire can shake the power armor, or if the vampire can have no effect at all.
    Being Shaken by a physical attack counts as being "hurt," so the vampire can't affect the SAMAS pilot with a physical attack at all unless it does Mega Damage (or has a way to bypass the armor)

For clarification, per Applying Damage in the core rules <italics added>, "If he was already Shaken, he suffers a wound and remains Shaken. To cause a wound, the latter Shaken result must come from a physical attack of some kind—not a Test of Wills or other maneuver."

So a Shaken result from an attack is damaging in that it can cause a wound on an already Shaken target where any other source of Shaken cannot.

Hope that helps!

Clint Black
    Forum Admin & Rules Answer Guy
    Savage Worlds Brand Manager

Comment

Working...
    X