Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dragon metamorphosis & gear (again) & Dragons versus The Ground.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dragon metamorphosis & gear (again) & Dragons versus The Ground.

Okay, so a dragon picks up a big gun and turns into a man... The gun hits the ground next to him because objects only meld in one direction. So far, so good.

The same dragon turns into a man and picks up a big gun, then turns into a dragon. The gun melds with his dragon form, cannot be used but is with him when he resumes human form (and indeed, I'd argue any human form because the purpose of the rule seems to be to avoid unfortunate and unexpected nudity).

So the question is, what's the reasonable limit on 'armour and weapon'?

I lean towards no powered armour - so body suits only - and only equipment you can carry on your person in reasonable fashion (so backpacks, suitcases and the like) but a hatchling dragon can pretty easily heft an eight hundred pound railgun ripped off a tank or bean someone with an uprooted tree. So in your opinion is the reasonable restriction based upon encumbrance, based upon body size or - as I'm starting to think as I write this question - things that are 'personal effects', in other words things that have been with you for a little while and which are considered to be 'yours'? by the acquisitive dragon in question?

Secondly, a dragon falls out of the sky (for some reason) and lands on a thing. Right now, we're using falling damage and applying it to both parties equally (plus perhaps a bonus for size like the one from:

https://www.pegforum.com/forum/savag...ow-much-damage

But should that damage be MD (environmental damage usually ignores armour, but a dragon is MD without armour). Should it be MD depending upon what you hit (images abound here of an unhurt dragon embedded in the SDC earth up to his shoulders like a giant, scaly lawn dart or crumpled up on a ferrocrete runway like Wile E. Coyote post-impact), should it be MD just to the dragon and SD to whatever was struck, or should it be MD to both parties because they just had a dragon fall upon them and that's enough to ruin anyone's day?

Originally posted by Korentin_Black View Post
    Okay, so a dragon picks up a big gun and turns into a man... The gun hits the ground next to him because objects only meld in one direction. So far, so good.

The same dragon turns into a man and picks up a big gun, then turns into a dragon. The gun melds with his dragon form, cannot be used but is with him when he resumes human form (and indeed, I'd argue any human form because the purpose of the rule seems to be to avoid unfortunate and unexpected nudity).

So the question is, what's the reasonable limit on 'armour and weapon'?

I lean towards no powered armour - so body suits only - and only equipment you can carry on your person in reasonable fashion (so backpacks, suitcases and the like) but a hatchling dragon can pretty easily heft an eight hundred pound railgun ripped off a tank or bean someone with an uprooted tree. So in your opinion is the reasonable restriction based upon encumbrance, based upon body size or - as I'm starting to think as I write this question - things that are 'personal effects', in other words things that have been with you for a little while and which are considered to be 'yours'? by the acquisitive dragon in question?
    Per the description of the ability, it affects <italics added>, "Weapons and other personal effects (up to body armor)."

A weapon bigger than a suit of body armor isn't going to be affected. In fact, the use of "personal" tends to follow the category of "Ranged Weapons: Personal," so probably just those unless the GM decided to make an allowance for the option to use Vehicular Weapons as hand weapons. Even then, per those rules, the dragon will be limited by the Size of the humanoid form taken as to what weapon they could use, but an 800 lbs. Mod 4 weapon is going to be impossible unless the form is at least Size +3, which means definitely not human and some kind of D-Bee.

Originally posted by Korentin_Black View Post
    Secondly, a dragon falls out of the sky (for some reason) and lands on a thing. Right now, we're using falling damage and applying it to both parties equally (plus perhaps a bonus for size like the one from:

https://www.pegforum.com/forum/savag...ow-much-damage

But should that damage be MD (environmental damage usually ignores armour, but a dragon is MD without armour). Should it be MD depending upon what you hit (images abound here of an unhurt dragon embedded in the SDC earth up to his shoulders like a giant, scaly lawn dart or crumpled up on a ferrocrete runway like Wile E. Coyote post-impact), should it be MD just to the dragon and SD to whatever was struck, or should it be MD to both parties because they just had a dragon fall upon them and that's enough to ruin anyone's day?
    Effectively, the planet has MDC. So any falling creature is going to take full damage, MDC or not. As far as it hitting someone on the ground, the likelihood of that is so rare as to fall purely within the GM's call (like the decision to apply falling damage to both), but an object with MDC hitting another object with MDC do normally affect each other.
    Clint Black
    Forum Admin & Rules Answer Guy
    Savage Worlds Brand Manager

Comment

Working...
    X