Psionic Barriers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Psionic Barriers

Posted this in Savage Worlds, but felt it was more appropriate here, as this is a Rifts setting question...

Have a question that popped up in our last session, want to see if I can get a resolution here before next session.

We had a psionic character create a barrier around an enemy with the standard trapping of telekinetic force. This player wanted to make this barrier selective so that their teammates could still attack the enemy. At this point is was argued that there was no need to make the barrier selective as all of the teammates had magical based attacks, and that as long as they had line of sight the barrier would not affect their attacks.

Question: Is this true? Due to the molten glass appearance of a telekinetic force psychic barrier does this allow magic based attacks to pass right through without being hindered in anyway by the barrier? If so, where is this rule in Savage Worlds, or Savage Rifts?

Thank you!

Hey machinegunharry welcome to the official Q&A and thanks for posting

So yeah this really is a core rules question, but it seems like there is maybe some hangup on the psionics trapping so I will go ahead and answer it.

Originally posted by machinegunharry View Post
    Is this true? Due to the molten glass appearance of a telekinetic force psychic barrier does this allow magic based attacks to pass right through without being hindered in anyway by the barrier? If so, where is this rule in Savage Worlds, or Savage Rifts?
    A rule changing the in-game effects of the telekinetic force trapping isn't anywhere in Savage Rifts, and I should know because I wrote that one lol. Revised TLPG p121 (emphasis added):
    Psionic combat powers have a telekinetic force Trapping with an appearance like molten glass, possibly arcing with energy and tinted with color.
    Except for when foes have a listed Weakness or Resistance to specific trappings, trappings don't change a power's base game mechanics (SWADE p150). The barrier power "creates a straight wall...of immobile material." It's a wall, you can't shoot or move through it. It doesn't matter what color or special effect (Trapping) the wall has. Just because the telekinetic force trapping might be imagined as translucent "like molten glass" in no way changes the mechanical effect. Steel, stone, fire, air, water, ice, telekinetic force, rainbow magic...its all mechanically the same! If you want to be able to shoot or move through a barrier then the Selective power modifier sounds like a good idea.

If the telekinetic force trapping has no mechanical effect, some readers might wonder why the trapping was added in the first place. Good question. Here are some of the things to keep in mind:
    1. Theme: Telekinetic force is commonly associated with psychic combat powers in Palladium Rifts®. I added it to help improve thematic consistency.
    2. Game Effect: In Rifts® damage is often divided into two main types: Kinetic and Energy. Knights of the White Rose, for instance, have an Energy Invulnerability ability (say that three times fast) so this trapping would bypass that defense. In other cases, it can become a liability.
    3. Exclusivity: The other major reason to define the trapping is that it prevents psychics from choosing other kinds of trappings. This makes the Ley Line Walker's ability to freely assign any trapping to a new power something a little bit special. It also makes opening up elemental trappings through the Master Psionic Edge have a little more weight and meaning.
    Again, welcome to the official forums. I hope my answer helps, and feel free to post again if you need more clarification or have any more questions!

Sean Owen Roberson
    Line Manager, Rifts for Savage Worlds

Comment

Working...
    X