Necromancer siphoning from summoned Zombies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Necromancer siphoning from summoned Zombies

From Facebook Savage Rifts Group: I have a player that is playing a Necromancer. If he summons Zombies then casts Siphon, can he then Siphon PPE from the Zombies? My gut says no but the rules say “Unless noted otherwise, beings without a PPE-based Arcane Background have Size+4 ambient PPE available”. I can’t find any note that says otherwise.

Jason_Sunday thanks for posting the question here!

Originally posted by Jason_Sunday View Post
    From Facebook Savage Rifts Group: I have a player that is playing a Necromancer. If he summons Zombies then casts Siphon, can he then Siphon PPE from the Zombies? My gut says no but the rules say “Unless noted otherwise, beings without a PPE-based Arcane Background have Size+4 ambient PPE available”. I can’t find any note that says otherwise.
    Hmm, I can see how this wording isn't quite explicit enough. Your gut feeling is right.

So the full wording is:

"Individuals with PPE-based Arcane Backgrounds may take PPE from willing allies as a free action. Unless noted otherwise, beings without a PPE-based Arcane Background have Size+4 ambient PPE available..." (emphasis added)

#1: A zombie is neither a willing ally or an independent being, it is an animated construct.

#2: I doubt your player was trying to game the system per se, but this could be a weird end-run around power points—essentially generating unlimited PPE through a "technicality". In Savage Rifts®, these odd conundrums will occasionally crop up and I encourage GM's and players to avoid doing anything which is obviously against the spirit of the rules.

This particular case will be errata, and until further notice please consider the text updated to read "Unless noted otherwise, living beings without a PPE-based Arcane Background have Size+4 ambient PPE available."

Also, if summoning actual beings—like elementals or demons—it is important for the GM to decide whether or not they are "willing allies" or unwillingly constrained and controlled beings. In the former case the summoner could Siphon their PPE, in the latter case they would be forced to use the drain Power Points power to take the PPE (see the TLPG page 116).

I will think about whether we need to expand the wording to cover all summons/zombies. Thanks again for the question.

Sean Owen Roberson
    Line Manager, Rifts for Savage Worlds

Comment

Working...
    X