Embedded Item Powers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Embedded Item Powers

To what extent can powers embedded in items be affected by a character's abilities/Edges?

If it is an EF with an enchanted item, and the power is trapped as Lightning or Steam (Fusion Synergy), do they get to apply the fusion synergy bonuses to the embedded power? Can the EF use his Variable Trappings power to cast the power with any of his attuned elements?

I mainly came to ask for my EF, but I think it's a valid question in general.

Could an AB Magic user with Wizard change the trapping on the fly?

Can a Psionic pump ISP into the item to activate it with +1-+2 Psionics via Major Psionic (assuming the power doesn't activate as part of another action)?

What are the limitations of activating Embedded Powers with character abilities/Edges?

Hey Koshnek,

Thanks for the great questions!

Originally posted by Koshnek View Post
    To what extent can powers embedded in items be affected by a character's abilities/Edges?
    The activation effect of Powers embedded in magic items generally can't be affected by a character's Abilities or Edges. The Techno-Wizardy Gear sidebar on page 82 of the second edition Tomorrow Legion Player's Guide states that "Embedded powers do not use Power Modifiers unless noted otherwise"—please see the Embedded Powers section of the entry.

If it is an EF with an enchanted item, and the power is trapped as Lightning or Steam (Fusion Synergy), do they get to apply the fusion synergy bonuses to the embedded power? Can the EF use his Variable Trappings power to cast the power with any of his attuned elements?
    I assume an EF means Elemental Fusionist, especially since you discuss Fusion Synergies.

Elemental Fusionists have Arcane Background (Gifted) and use Power Points, not PPE, to power their abilities. They can't channel PPE, use TW Gear, or arcanely manipulate most magic items (which run on PPE in Rifts). Please see page 11 of Arcana & Mysticism (which contains reminder text) and page 120 of the second edition Tomorrow Legion Player's Guide where this is covered in more detail.

Could an AB Magic user with Wizard change the trapping on the fly?
    This is more of a base SWADE question and should be answered in the main rules forum. https://www.pegforum.com/forum/savag...-on-core-rules

However, I will go ahead and give my answer (which in no way overrules differing SWADE errata or official responses). To me, the text of the Wizard Edge clearly states when and how it can be done:
    "A Wizard can spend 1 extra Power Point when casting a power to change its Trapping" (my emphasis bolded)—so that would be a "No."

Can a Psionic pump ISP into the item to activate it with +1-+2 Psionics via Major Psionic (assuming the power doesn't activate as part of another action)?
    The Major Psionic's ability cannot be used this way with most TW Gear.

What are the limitations of activating Embedded Powers with character abilities/Edges?
    As stated above, they generally can't affect the Embedded Power itself—the user is merely exerting their will to activate a compatible arcane device. It is like pulling a trigger on a gun; aiming is important but won't change the properties of the bullet itself.

This is one of the inherent disadvantages of most Techno-Wizardy Gear and magic items, they have cool effects for those able to interface with them but they aren't as flexible as an arcanist.

PS #1: There are a lot of different questions here. In the future please ask them in separate threads for ease of use by the community.

PS #2: Please don't unnecessarily abbreviate game terms, they can be difficult to parse.
    Sean Owen Roberson
    Line Manager, Rifts for Savage Worlds

Comment

Working...
    X