Psi-Ghost Intangibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Psi-Ghost Intangibility

Almost all of these questions have been asked with regards to the intangibility Power on prior occasions. However, invariably, the answer is, "It depends on the Trappings." In the case of the Psi-Ghost, though, the racial Ghosting ability presumably has a constant, singular Trapping--and thus, should be amenable to an Official Answer. Sorry for the many questions, but this is seriously one of the most difficult Powers to run as a GM with any consistency:

Can a Ghosting Psi-Ghost:

1: Sink through the floor into a room below?
    2: Sink partially into the ground to gain cover as they move forward?
    3: Run? Jump horizontally? Jump vertically to higher ground?
    4: Walk up stairs? Climb?
    5: Fall, if they suddenly find themselves with an open space beneath their feet? If so, do they strike the ground below, or just kind of come to a stop?
    6: Walk on water? Not walk on water?
    7: Disembark a moving vehicle? Not disembark a moving vehicle? If a moving vehicle passes through them (or even if it passes them and they jump into it), can they hitch a ride like the subway-riding ghost in Ghost?

To be honest, I'm sure there's more, but a lot could be extrapolated from the answers to these.

Originally posted by Freemage View Post
    Almost all of these questions have been asked with regards to the intangibility Power on prior occasions. However, invariably, the answer is, "It depends on the Trappings." In the case of the Psi-Ghost, though, the racial Ghosting ability presumably has a constant, singular Trapping--and thus, should be amenable to an Official Answer. Sorry for the many questions, but this is seriously one of the most difficult Powers to run as a GM with any consistency
    So to start off, while I am going to answer these questions I think each GM should take them with a grain of salt and maybe even add in a pinch of their own as one of the big design philosophies for Savage Worlds (especially the Adventure Edition) is to not do comprehensive modifiers. These questions are getting way too far in that direction, and are largely are about the base intangibility power regardless of trapping or mega modifiers and are therefore probably more SWADE-level questions. If there are SWADE answers to them then those should probably take precedence, though I will answer these in the spirit of helping a brother (or sister) out.

In general, I am going off of the SWADE power's phrasing "He is unable to affect the physical world, and it is unable to affect him" but applying the caveat that the character's default form of locomotion (walking) is largely unchanged, though there may be a bit of "drifting" versus plummeting falls.

PS: your questions make me think of the Twins/Banshees in the Matrix Reloaded, so maybe watch the freeway fight scene to get an idea of what a highly acrobatic and agile Psi-Ghost is probably capable of if a GM wants to go in that direction.

Can a Ghosting Psi-Ghost:

1: Sink through the floor into a room below?
    They can pass through walls, so yes floors as well seems to make sense.

2: Sink partially into the ground to gain cover as they move forward?
    I don't see why not. In fact, the original Psi-Ghost art has her doing exactly that. https://i.pinimg.com/236x/1a/c8/f2/1...e92b44bba8.jpg

3: Run? Jump horizontally? Jump vertically to higher ground? 4: Walk up stairs? Climb?
    The power doesn't specify that they lose those movement options so I would definitely think so.

5: Fall, if they suddenly find themselves with an open space beneath their feet? If so, do they strike the ground below, or just kind of come to a stop?
    Fall like a feather? I don't think hitting the ground would deal damage while intangible, though the character would regain "traction"—but this is definitely more of a SWADE question and not a Savage Rifts one.

6: Walk on water? Not walk on water?
    Since liquid water is denser than gas I would imagine an intangible character would also have "traction" and be able to walk on it. Up to the GM.

7: Disembark a moving vehicle? If a moving vehicle passes through them (or even if it passes them and they jump into it), can they hitch a ride like the subway-riding ghost in Ghost?
    As long as the moving vehicle is not also intangible or arcanely warded then yes I would think they could pass through it (in or out) just the same as any wall.

Sean Owen Roberson
    Line Manager, Rifts for Savage Worlds

Comment

Working...
    X