Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Code of the New West (Empires of Humanity)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Code of the New West (Empires of Humanity)

I'm not a english native. Can someone please explain what is meant in the Code of the New West in Empires of Humanity with
    "Never take money that ain’t owed you."

Does that mean you always help for free? Does it mean when you work for the Tommorow Legion you dont take your salary? Does it mean you dont want your share of "loot"? Does it mean you dont accept bribes? Does that mean when for example you perform (with the performance skill) you dont take your fee? It's extremly vage from my standpoint. Unless its some sort of idiom that has some cultural reference that I dont know.

"Do not take something that is not rightfully yours" would be clearer (I hope)

Comment

• R-Cane
      R-Cane commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes it is. But it still is kinda vague. I mean "rightfully" per definition is debatable since it can either be seen from a moral or a legal perspective.
      The moral part is just completly up for grabs since if in your moral mindset you say that what you fought for is yours that would likely be opposed by someone elses view on morals.
      If you would replace "rightfully" with "legally", that is way less debatable, but would be kind of narrow, since it is stated that in the New West where the Code was formed there is basicly no official law since there is no government, which is why vigilantees like the Justice Rangers can claim they represent it without having any official justification . Saying "Do not take something that is not legaly yours" that would for example include
      1. loot from enemies (We are just talking stuff that can be stripped from them without breaking the "Respect a worthy opponent and show them courtesy even in death.", like weapons, mounts etc.)
      2. any form of compensation that wasn't contractualy agreed upon
      3. anything you find laying around
      since for all of these things, there wouldn't have been an agreed upon change of possession.

So, it probably would be easier to just claim it is meant in a moral manner, at least if existing laws dont contradict, which would make people abiding The Code a bunch of self-rightious individuals and would potentionaly lead to a lot of conflict whenever two of these individuals meet.

Thinking about that makes me kinda of like that approach since that is kind of a trope for classical westerns. Sometimes a duel is the only way to prove whos standpoint is stronger. After all there are only two kinds of lawmen in the New West. The quick and the dead.
      Last edited by R-Cane; 01-30-2021, 10:58 AM.

It's flexible. It basically means, "If someone doesn't owe you money, don't take money from you." At the baseline, that obviously means, don't rob people. It might also mean that if you encountered a village under attack and then helped them, you shouldn't take money for your help, since you did not arrange for such a thing. The scruples of the one with the code would affect how such a rule is interpreted.

Comment

Don't steal or rob.

Comment

Yeah, it generally means don't rob, steal, or swindle (trick others for money).

Pay from the Tomorrow Legion or another employer, winnings from gambling at dice or cards, winnings from a bet, loot from a battle or expedition, etc would all be ok to take!
        Sean Owen Roberson
        Line Manager, Rifts for Savage Worlds

Comment

Thanks a lot. That's how I'll handle it should the question come up again. A little late to the party because since I have to go GM now the Justice Ranger is removed from the group, but you never know when he'll be back.....with gritty determination in his eyes.

Comment

Working...
          X