• Vehicle Combat Play Test

Cast
    • Robot Vehicle Ace, Titan Combat Robot
    • Robot Vehicle Ace, IAR-4 Hellraiser
    • Robot Vehicle Ace, Triax Ulti-Max
    • Psi-Operator, Skycycle
    • Power Armor Ace, Jackrabbit PA

Chase Scene
    Our first scenario was a chase. We were ambushed by a CS patrol in the Ruins of Old Chicago and started running for our lives. We had to get to card ten before they caught us - or killed us - in order to escape. The enemy consisted of 5 UAR-1 Enforcers (WC) and 5 CS Skycycles (extras).

First Off: This took a long time. This was driven by:
    1. Unfamiliarity with the SWADE Chase Rules
    2. Unfamiliarity with our characters/vehicles
    3. Extra rolls related to chases: Piloting to Move/Evade, Reaction Fire, etc.
    4. The sheer volume of actions vehicles can take with high ROF weapons and edges that allow multi-actions with little to no penalty. With Ace and Combat Ace, you have 2 actions per round, minimum with no penalty. With edge choices you can hit three with no penalty at all. STS covers a LOT of sins too.
    The good news is vehicles are no more a death trap than anything else. If you are built for vehicle combat, you will do well. Your skills and build choices matter. Medium Missiles are a threat but soakable. The Titan was regularly targeted by 2 Enforcers shooting both rail guns and missiles and managed to soak most of the time (incidentally the Titan having 5 wounds is amazing). Using Piloting to soak (when maxed at d12 and +2 from vehicle interface cybernetics) beats the hell out of using Vigor and assuming average rolling can really help keep vehicles alive.

Everyone of us had a reaction weapon, so shooting us in the chase was a death sentence for the skycycles. They would open fire then get pasted back for their trouble even with the -2 (see above with all the penalty negations).

Take ‘Em Down is super handy against larger armored opponents like Enforcers. With the AP from the vehicle weapons +5 from Take ‘Em Down the Robots were shooting against base Toughness most of the time.

Exposed Crew is still deadly. A 50% chance an attack will hit the rider instead of the vehicle, when using vehicle level weapons this is not good news for the rider. Crew compartment hits on Robot Vehicle also hurt. Make sure your pilot is wearing body armor in there. Also, Robots have a different Critical Hit Table than vehicles in SWADE - we forgot to use this one.

Took us three to four rounds of firing and retreating to essentially wipe out the opposition. So instead of a retreat it could have been a stand and fight.

Our second scene was a woodland battle against a demon lord and his gargoyle mooks. I had to leave after the first round - which even with us being more familiar with our vehicles/sheets still took a while due to the multiple action economy described above.

Robot Aces using Combat Edges in their vehicles is great! My Titan pilot had First Strike with Giant Vibro-Sword (+1 Reach), so when the mooks tried to get close one of them got stopped in its tracks and couldn’t close to melee.

Fighting a greater demon was hard with no arcane buffs, but missiles still hurt. I’ll let others chime in about how the combat when from there as I had to go to bed.

From what I saw it was a good thing that there were plenty of missiles given that Greater Demon was running around with Greater Invisibility. AoE allowed them to tag him at least a couple times before I went to bed.

Comment

PBeam Cannon is nuts! I was plinking away at the demon 3shots a round. Just enough damage to shake and wound from shaken, but wounds is wounds and wounds is bennies!

Particle beams are one of my favorite new toys . Also, I think my psi-operator build was actually a viable.

Exposed Crew is nuts, though. Luckily I was ready w vehicle interface and 12 piloting / iron jaw and d8 vigor plus luck. The wounds I took were manageable. If you want to take an exposed crew vehicle into combat as a PC you gotta give serious consideration to survivability!

All in All - I was surprised that my build was actually a viable build. Psioperator w telemechanics, COre Electronics Packagr and Vehicle Control Interface, so I was good at flying and good at fixing machines (or hacking them).

Edit: There’s also something satisfying about wielding a katana mid-air telekinetically at mooks and then switching to melee when they close in and driving the bike telekinetically. Felt really cyberpunk (which was my concept-ish).

Comment

I do wonder if crew is hit... Does the AP of the weapon apply? Rules say:
        For direct damage, subtract the robot vehicle's Armor and apply the remainder to a random crew member. Area effect weapons affect everyone. If this is the result of a Collision, the occupants are Shaken.

Last edited by tbone9581; 09-20-2019, 02:53 PM.

Comment

• PEGRoberson
          PEGRoberson commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, per Shane Hensley. No double-jeopardy, though, so it wouldnt apply to any Armor bonuses the pilot himself might have (natural, body armor, whatever).

I'd say the AP applies to the Robot Armor as normal. If there is leftover AP that's a good question if it would apply to the crewman. If the leftover AP is due to Take em Down then I'd say no unless the crewman is wearing MD armor.

Comment

Overall, Robot combat takes a long time because the options available means when the players turn comes he has to think on it before rolling. I do not think I would change that.

What was good is every attackhow enough AP the enemies may as well had been naked, this lets wounds get through.

What I would change is how many weapons have the reaction feature. I think this should be an installation option, but not inherent to the weapon. Also this feature should be on occasional small automated defense weapons. Basically those tagged anti personnel. But having it on mini and light rail guns is a bit much. While fighting vehicles it was not the end of the world. The tactic of holding to fire from cover is eliminated for PCs when fighting a robot with any of these vehicle grade weapon.

Example, you hold come out from cover to toss a grenade. As soon as you resolve damage the enemy gets a free attack and rolls 4 shooting attacks against you! Then your corpse falls back behind cover.

Comment

• PEGRoberson
            PEGRoberson commented
            Editing a comment
            HAHA! Well put thanks.

Originally posted by Ndreare View Post
          What I would change is how many weapons have the reaction feature. I think this should be an installation option, but not inherent to the weapon. Also this feature should be on occasional small automated defense weapons. Basically those tagged anti personnel. But having it on mini and light rail guns is a bit much. While fighting vehicles it was not the end of the world. The tactic of holding to fire from cover is eliminated for PCs when fighting a robot with any of these vehicle grade weapon.

Example, you hold come out from cover to toss a grenade. As soon as you resolve damage the enemy gets a free attack and rolls 4 shooting attacks against you! Then your corpse falls back behind cover.
          Reaction Fire is only during Chases, though, correct? Not sure it's going to be a problem for infantry, unless they're riding in an open-top vehicle (ie. suicidal). And Reaction Fire is also limited to once per round per weapon, so a squad of SAMAS or whatever harrying your robot with flybys just has to sacrifice one of their number.

Comment

• ogbendog
            ogbendog commented
            Editing a comment
            Reaction fire is on page 117 of SWADE. it's not only for Chases, it can happen whenever a vehicle is targeted.
            note sure if an area attack like a grenade would count

• Tribe of One
            Tribe of One commented
            Editing a comment
            P.117 is the Chase rules. And the Reaction Fire weapon quality on p. 82 specifically "These weapons have special abilities in Chases. See page 117."

The special ability doesn't apply outside of a Chase.

• Ndreare
            Ndreare commented
            Editing a comment
            We only used Reaction Fire in the Chase and assumed it was a Chase only rule.

That said, it was another thing to add to chase time and duration. Chases are miserable long because the SWADE Rules, not a flaw in Tactical combat which was way better.
            A robot pilot with Combat Ace gets all the following:
            Free Action Movement
            Free Action Evade
            Attack One (usually RoF 3 or higher)
            Attack Two (usually RoF 3 or higher)
            - - Potential Reaction Fire from enemy (usually RoF 3 or higher)
            - Potential Third Action if player accepts MAP or has edge (usually weapon with RoF 3 or higher)

For the bad guys I simply forgot some of their attacks, but luckily the players did not complain.

I know, I would never use a chase as written for more than 3 rounds as a gm. If I did, I would simply declare escape after that.

One thing I did think of while playing in the chase was how do you calculate the power armors top speed to determine if they get a bonus to their piloting roll to move down the card chart.

What I would love to see in the GM guide for SR is just some designer thoughts to help GMs run a savage rifts chase simply because the weapons, vehicles, powers, etc are so over the top, some clarity on how to run a chase in the setting would be illuminating. Even if it was just an example of a chase between some coalition enforcers, samas, and sky cycles vs a party with a mystic, crazy, PA pilot, Titan RA, and mountaineer would be helpful.

Comment

• tbone9581
            tbone9581 commented
            Editing a comment
            Ok cool... Next time for sure then I can make sure the jack rabbit is being placed correctly.

• Radecliffe
            Radecliffe commented
            Editing a comment
            All the Power Armors in TLPG have a Top Speed value in addition to their Pace.

I see the ones in A&M don't though.

• Ndreare
            Ndreare commented
            Editing a comment
            There were guidelines in SWADE for providing these bonuses. I awarded them to the sky cycles and to Derek's character.

I also arbitrarily decided as per SWADE that they were both fast enough they could leave combat at any time by simply using their action to flee.
        Working...
        X