Dragon-ing the Werecat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dragon-ing the Werecat

As currently written, I would have to ban Werecats as Player Characters in a campaign I was GM-ing. They are simply too powerful, and we generally banned them in Palladium Rifts campaigns too. Here is my attempt to save the Race/IF:

Invulnerable does NOT apply in Human form.

The Dragon Hatchling loses power in human form, but can use equipment & generally interact more easily with humans. To help the Human form, all body armor & gear was magically absorbed into the Dragon metamorphosis. I think this is a great way to balance out the Werecat. Basing it on the Dragon, a Werecat can maintain a Human and/or Cat form for Spirit die hours before needing six hours rest in its natural Man-monster form.

Human:
    Acrobat Edge
    Cast Magic
    Use Psionics
    Low Light Vision
    Regeneration
    Wear Armor
    Use devices/technology

Man-monster:
    Acrobat Edge
    Invulnerable
    Use Psionics
    +2 Notice
    Low Light Vision
    +2 die Strength
    +2 die Agility
    Claw/Bite = Str + d6 MD, AP2
    Regeneration

Cat:
    Acrobat Edge
    Invulnerable
    Use Psionics
    +2 Notice
    Low Light Vision
    +2 die Agility
    Bite Only = Str + d6 MD, AP2
    Regeneration
    +2 Stealth
    Speed Bonus (double speed for 4-legged form?)
    Size -1
    Last edited by Joe Brown; 09-19-2019, 10:56 AM.

Really, they do not seem all that powerful to me.

Tribe of One
    Did you do a point breakdown? Where do they sit? Am I missing a big threat?

Comment

• Ndreare
      Ndreare commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, I thought only NGR had Depleted U rounds

• Radecliffe
      Radecliffe commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm sure the NGR will sell the CS DU rounds. Though as they are not magic nor silver would it make a difference? Without a boost from smite or something anyway.

• Lockheart
      Lockheart commented
      Editing a comment
      Depending on how much into Rifts lore Savage Rifts gets into the a CS unit in wouldn't have U rounds of any type on hand as the CS Gov and Military banned their use citing environmental concerns and has an agreement with Triax that they not export them to the Americas. Most other gun manufactures tended to stay away from the material as well for the same reason. Now that isn't to say the CS doesn't have some stockpile laying around somewhere as well its the CS, but without a really good reason possibly near last ditch effort wouldn't bust them out for just anything. U rounds should in 95% of cases stop anything's regen until the round is removed and then afterwards still have some time before the wound actually healed.

DU rounds on the other hand are somewhat less controlled as you don't need to worry about their hotzone time, but they also aren't as deadly to supernaturals as they weren't potent enough to stop their regen.

It's kind of a crapshoot because Invulnerability is hard to price (I went with 40 points) but the Werecat doesn't worry me at all. Vampires clock in at about the same points as a Dragon, but Werecats are about 25 points below that, sitting a bit above a Borg or RV Ace and a bit shy of a Momano. I don't think they'll be disrupting you game. They're pussycats. All defense, no O. Their ABs are both blunted with wretched power lists, their natural weapons aren't as good as a vibro-sword and their shape-shifting will make armor difficult to manage. They can hug a fusion block, sure, but will spend a lot of combat Shaken and scratching at things they can't really hurt.
    ​​​​

Comment

• Tribe of One
      Tribe of One commented
      Editing a comment
      Ndreare: I accounted for the Weaknesses separately. Here's the post where I broke it down. I went with 40 to be consistent(ish) with the SPC-based values I used for other IFs -- fire immunity for Dragons and Bursters, for instance, was 10. It's just a point of reference. As a comparison, I went with x4 that for immunity to all energy types, rail guns, explosives and melee. Then -5 for the Werecat weaknesses, Vamps I think was -10. So total looking at 30-35 pts. You could knock another 10 or 15 off that if you really think it's not that useful and it wouldn't change the relative comparisons (ie. where the Werecat and Vamp stand in relation to other IFs) noticeably.

As for how Sean valued something else, or what someone else personally thinks, it's not really relevant. I'm just telling you where they fell within the rating system I used for everything else.

Either way, Werecats and Vampires seem like pretty boring characters to me. And while they could be awkward to integrate into some campaigns, they're not going to wreck your balance.
      Last edited by Tribe of One; 09-19-2019, 04:23 PM.

• Ndreare
      Ndreare commented
      Editing a comment
      Tribe of One yeah i should have looked in the post where you did break downs first.

• PEGRoberson
      PEGRoberson commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah dont try to extrapolate too deeply from the "numbers" I appeared to use in one circumstance versus another. Just FYI.

Unlike a Dragon a Werecat is a lot more defense than offense. This is a major problem when just determining arbitrary points and adding them up. I've seen this in other systems where point values get wacky because a unit is weighted heavily to offense or defense and results in a number that does not represent the units overall value.

Increasing their offensive capabilities would have an inflated affect on their true value so it's a tricky rope to walk.

Comment

• Tribe of One
      Tribe of One commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with your conclusions. As long as both are relatively toothless offensively, their resistance to damage isn't game-breaking.

• Joe Brown
      Joe Brown commented
      Editing a comment
      The low offensive capabilities is a good point, but solved with a nice weapon or 2 from a HJ roll or scavenging.

As it is, a pack of Werecats could walk into a Xiticix Hive, and if they avoid the queen, just kill all day long. Someone should let Lazlo know. Ditto for the Dinosaur Swamps, or facing off against ARCHIE's entire Shemarrian Army.

CS troops could get silver ammo, but it's not standard issue. The GM has to Deus ex machina the CS, or basically everybody, into having silver rounds. If *everybody* has Silver, it ruins the whole point.

PS:
      It seems the majority of the posters here like the Invulnerability as is, which is fine, I'll just house rule it out.
Working...
X