Pronunciation Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pronunciation Guide

I'd like to thank the guys at Pinnacle for giving us pronunciation guides (eg Zai-tik-iks). I know your plate is full, but a page in the GM guidebook with all of the pronunciations would be a real help.

Is that really how "Xiticix" is pronounced?

That's nearly as hard to wrap your mouth around as a Robert Jordan glossary (Wheel of Time fans know the pain).

I've been reading it as ZIT-a-six. It's more palatable, even if it's wrong.

Comment

I just mumble even in my head.

Comment

I've been using zy-TIK-ziks, myself.....

Comment

Originally posted by Rifts, p253
          Xiticix (pronounced Zy-tick-icks)
          There it is.

Comment

I always thought that the name for the Xiticix was kinda absurd. Most of the population is illiterate, there isn't a lot of long-distance communication and no one cares what the Xiticix call themselves. "Those bug things" seems a more appropriate name.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkFlite View Post
              I always thought that the name for the Xiticix was kinda absurd. Most of the population is illiterate, there isn't a lot of long-distance communication and no one cares what the Xiticix call themselves. "Those bug things" seems a more appropriate name.
              How you introduce their name to the players should always be up to you. Maybe a Rogue Scholar would know, or some city-states whom have attempted diplomatic relations with them, or maybe even some other DeeBee race who has had prior contact with them would know to call them that. Maybe Xiticix is actually Splugorth for "Annoying Bug Pests?" I think this is just one aspect of world-building that simulationists* like you and me have to account for.

*Simulationist - A GM who tries to make as realistic a world possible and who attempts to run a game that accounts for realism in details; a term I just heard a couple weeks ago on a Matt Coalville or Seth Sorkowsky video on YouTube which I find accurately describes people who have the same concerns you air in your post. Note: I am also a simulationist, so I feel your pain.

Comment

Here is the current list I have. I'll add to it if you have any further entries or corrections:

Xiticix (Zai-tik-iks) [SR Blood and Banes, p87]
                Splugorth (Sploo-gore-th) [Palladium Rifts SourceBook 1, p106]
                Lord Splynncryth (pronounced "Splin-cry-th") [Palladium Rifts World Book 2: Atlantis, p39]
                Chi-Town (Ch-eye-Town) [Thanks PEGRoberson via Kevin S]
                Dweomer (Dwee-mer) [Thanks to Grave Knight]
                Kilairgh Automaton (“kill-air”) [SR Arcana & Mysticism p40]
                Nxla (nicks-law) [Palladium Rifts World Book 12: Psyscape, p22]
                Ixzotz Kingdom (Eesh-zotz) [PR WB 1: Vampire Kingdomes, p47]
                Camazotz, Lord of Bats and Darkness (ka-ma-zot-z)
                City of Ixion, Cyber-Horsemen (eye-zon) [PR Conversion Book 1, p113]
                Clszymllxbrrxxyfwrr (god help you)
                Last edited by Joe Brown; 09-23-2019, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X