Weird Science and Super Technology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird Science and Super Technology

The current rules allow a Weird Scientist to take Artificer, Minor Item Creation and Major Item Creation.

I really, really like this and absolutely do not want it to change.
    What i would like changed is a paragraph added at the end of Weird Scientist saying...

"Weird Science replaces the Occult skill with Science skill for all other Edge requirements. In addition Weird Science items do not recover at Ley Lines instead using Power Ports for power point recovery and the GM may assign major power sources as Places of power."

Nothing else. This is perfect thanks.

PS: Please note I will be doing this no matter what. But I would like it official.
    Last edited by Ndreare; 08-15-2019, 11:02 PM. Reason: Fixed some stuff

This is an excellent idea. +1

Comment

It would be nice if the mundane Arcane Background wasn’t required to take occult to make fancy science tech for his friends.

Comment

Agree with all this.

Comment

Originally posted by Ndreare View Post
          The current rules allow a Weird Scientist to take Artificer, Minor Item Creation and Major Item Creation.

I really, really like this and absolutely do not want it to change.
          What i would like changed is a paragraph added at the end of Weird Scientist saying...

"Weird Science replaces the Science skill for Occult when determining requirements for the Artificer, and Item creation edges. Such items do not recover at Ley Lines instead using Power Ports for power point recovery and major power plants as Places of power."

Nothing else. This is perfect thanks.

PS: Please note I will be doing this no matter what. But I would like it official.
          Have I missed some edges somewhere? What is the "Minor Item Creation and Major Item Creation" you mention for the Weird Scientist?

Comment

• Radecliffe
            Radecliffe commented
            Editing a comment
            They are Power Edges in Arcana & Mysticism.

Originally posted by Koshnek View Post
          It would be nice if the mundane Arcane Background wasn’t required to take occult to make fancy science tech for his friends.
          I would propose Science be allowed to replace Occult on all edge requirements for a Weird Scientist and will edit above.

PS: Nice a ton of likes an affirmation posts with no strong arguments against. That is super rare.

Comment

The more I think about it and given that in Rifts Weird Science is NOT supernatural what I'd like to see Weird Science get their own edges in either Empires or B&B. That way they can maintain the separation between magic and super science. The edges should be essentially the same but the requirements could be tweaked to make it more compatible (e.g. lose Occult, add Science)

Comment

• Radecliffe
              Radecliffe commented
              Editing a comment
              That's the problem, IMO. This is a magic book with magic edges in it. Trying to smoosh it into a new shape for super science is going to leave headaches down the road. From my viewpoint KISS is keeping magic stuff magic and science stuff science. They can all follow the same process, they just need to make it clear that super science is not arcane, not supernatural. Repurposing these edges does not clearly accomplish that and there will be confusion. I'd like to avoid that.

Now, if they won't put new edges in the Empires book then in my view repurposing these edges is plan B. I don't like doing it that way and they need to be rewritten to make clear that there are two different paths to take when using them as AB(Magic/Miracles/Psionics) vs AB(Weird Science). Right now there is no distinction so Weird Scientists take these edges to make "magic items" which is not optimal as we all agree.

• steelbrok
              steelbrok commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree with the above. I'd drop Weird Science other than the Techno-Wizard version and have something else for Super Science, (maybe based on the Invent power from the SPC?) and not using power points but some sort of build/reliability mechanic instead.

• Radecliffe
              Radecliffe commented
              Editing a comment
              Weird Science isn't perfect but IMO it's preferable to coming up with custom rules for super science. I think this is the best plan A. Having said that if they came up with a new way to implement super science that was simple and clean I'd give it a shot.
          Working...
          X