Cybernetics, Helmets, Scopes, Sights and Shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cybernetics, Helmets, Scopes, Sights and Shooting

Do the Cybernetic Targeting Eye and Range Data System negation of penalties and bonus to Shooting stack with the Multi-Optics Helmet?

What about stacking with the Red-Dot/Laser sight, Rifle Scope and Multi-Optics Scope?

What about stacking with weapons that have a Shooting bonus?

Also, wouldn't it be more realistic to require characters to shoot a weapon a few times in order to calibrate said weapon with the Targeting Eye and/or Multi-Optics Helmet?

In SWD like bonuses didn't usually stack. So two pieces of equipment that offered a bonus to shooting you would pick one. Two pieces of equipment that negate penalties to shooting you would pick one. You could stack one piece of equipment that offered a bonus and one that negated penalties then both would apply. At least that's how I understand it.

Don't know if that is still the case in SWADE but my guess it's still the same.

Comment

It's a little more complex than that (or was in SWD, SWADE it's up in the air). Targeting Eye and Ranged Data System would definitely work in concert, because one is a bonus, the other negates penalties.

In the second part of this Clint opinion he makes a distinction between magic bonuses and those from Edges or items. You can't stack bonuses of the same type, but can stack those of different types. So you could only have one magic bonus, one item bonus, etc. So, you for example, stack the benefit of Farsight (from a Magic Optic System or enchanted item that gave those benefits) with the equipment bonuses of a Multi-Optics Helmet. But you couldn't claim the "negate penalties" benefit from both a Multi-Optics Helmet and an MO scope, because both are equipment. (You could, however, use an MO scope with a red-dot sight, because the benefits are different).

Where there's potentially some wiggle room/gray area is whether cybernetics bonuses are the same as item bonuses. In the absence of clear guidance, I personally would let them stack, for a variety of reasons (one, fluff - ie. your Targeting Eye integrates with that red-dot sight; also because generally if a character is using cyber they're not using magic, so if magic + item can stack, cyber + item should stack, too). But counting the cyber bonuses as "item" bonuses wouldn't be wrong, either.

Comment

• Ndreare
        Ndreare commented
        Editing a comment
        Funny,
        I have a house rule (that is not universally well received) that bonuses just do not stack. You can put five layers of magic and tech on top of each other, and you will only get the highest.

Honestly it works and it keeps the AB characters from always being better than the tech characters.

RL Example: you can have a scope, holographic sights and flip up sights on a rifle all on the same rail. But you can only use one at a time. Trying to layer them would prevent you from using any of them correctly.

Originally posted by Cyborgspectre View Post
      Do the Cybernetic Targeting Eye and Range Data System negation of penalties and bonus to Shooting stack with the Multi-Optics Helmet?
      Nope, those cyberwares and the MOH are basically doing the exact same thing, they dont stack.

What about stacking with the Red-Dot/Laser sight, Rifle Scope and Multi-Optics Scope?
      MO Scope is basically an advanced version of the laser sight/scope combo. So they dont stack.

Also, the laser sight/scope dont stack with the MOH, it is just a really advanced version of those two things, a laser distancer, and computer to collate the data. Just like the cyberware, just broken out a bit differently.

What about stacking with weapons that have a Shooting bonus?
      YES, they DO stack. Weapons with Shooting bonuses have them for all types of reasons (balance, accuracy, beam coherence, the "shotgun" effect, etc), so they stack with calibrated targeting equipment and other aim enhancements.

Also, wouldn't it be more realistic to require characters to shoot a weapon a few times in order to calibrate said weapon with the Targeting Eye and/or Multi-Optics Helmet?
      Maybe, unless their advanced equipment is able to adaptively pair weapons with a high degree of accuracy, which seems to be the assumption.
      Sean Owen Roberson
      Line Editor, Rifts for Savage Worlds

Comment

This is such an unrealistic ruling. Everyone who knows anything about tactical guns knows accessories always stack. Case in point:Click image for larger version

Name:	The-Most-Tactical-AR15-EVER-618x412.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	28877

Comment

• Ndreare
          Ndreare commented
          Editing a comment
          I can just imagine seeing this at the range and having a laugh. The best part is pulling it up against his jaw like that.

PS: Some of those parts are not cheep.

• Radecliffe
          Radecliffe commented
          Editing a comment
          I can't help but feel that he's going to break something important if he pulls that trigger.

• Tribe of One
          Tribe of One commented
          Editing a comment
          He's gonna break reality.

Re: Spending time to calibrate it:
        That makes sense but it potentially makes for extra bookkeeping as now each character has to track whether they've calibrated that gun with their equipment yet. Which isn't a problem until it is (my main gun just critfailed, which of the guns we looted off the last guys have I calibrated?) Perhaps an optional rule?

Comment

• PEGRoberson
          PEGRoberson commented
          Editing a comment
          personally if my players had ANY downtime i would assume they calibrated their weapons, or at worst let them spend a Benny to retcon it

Well, Targeting eye and the Multi Optics Scope/Helmet all say you need to calibrate for a round. This should assume that all weapons in your possession are calibrated. However, if you were forced to pick up a weapon off the ground you would either forgo the bonus or stop and spend a round to calibrate your Eye/Scope/Helmet to the new weapon.

Comment

Working...
        X