Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions about quick flex Psi-Slingers and other instances of edge dulication.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottbert
    commented on 's reply
    Good to know the official answer even if we don't like it. Perhaps this, with or without the suggestion to work with the player to find alternatives, could be in the text somewhere? Just so it's not left in an ambiguous state by default. (I'd prefer finding alternates / letting some things stack, too, but I guess there are just too many edge cases to have everything covered by hard rules and balanced.)

• PEGRoberson
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks man. We are peddling as fast as we can.

• PEGRoberson
    replied
    The official answer is that duplicate Skills, Edges, Powers, etc are lost. Thats a core SWADE answer.

Personally I would work with a player for an appropriate replacement. Honestly, in a crazy game like Rifts the GM needs to be a little flexible when these edge cases come up. We have worked really hard at deconflicting this stuff, but its not a perfect game. Thanks guys!

Leave a comment:

• Radecliffe
    replied
    It should only take a fairly short paragraph. In case of skills do this... In the case of attributes do this... In case of edges do this...

Leave a comment:

• Venatus Vinco
    replied
    I think PEGRoberson is doing a heroic job, "de-conflicting" as much as possible. However, at a certain point we just have to let GMs make a call with their players.

Hopefully, there will be guidance on doing this in the players and GMs books. Otherwise you'll need to revise the players guide every time a conflict pops up in a supplement.

VV

Leave a comment:

• Icedman
    commented on 's reply
    I like @Freemage's comment here...

• Icedman
    replied
    So I unintentionally encountered this myself today, when dreaming up a Psi-Ghost "Gizmoteer"; gonna call it that so we don't confuse the character archetype with the Gadgeteer edge...

Anyway, when trying to decide where the best bang for my buck was, I noticed that the SW team have "patched" this for Arcane Backgrounds that are granted by your choice of Race. In just about every one I can think of (note: I haven't trawled the books to verify completely) - Simvan, the Psi-Ghost, etc, if you apply an Iconic Framework with the same AB as your Racial AB, you get 2 free powers (ie: New Powers edge).

So it's at least somewhat in mind...

Leave a comment:

• Ndreare
    commented on 's reply
    This is why I provided example text above in the quote

• Deskepticon
    commented on 's reply
    Some GM arbitration will still be needed in such a front-loaded setting as Rifts. In this case, player and GM should agree on a similarly themed Edge.

• Deskepticon
    commented on 's reply
    Ndreare The TLPG just went through a massive rewrite, including a rebalancing of the races and IFs. Honestly, it was a missed opportunity not to address the issue of duplicate abilities from the get-go.

The advice in your sidebar would still be valid because the "fix" I proposed doesn't address Edges or HJ rolls, so some GM arbitration is going to be needed.

• Ndreare
    commented on 's reply
    All the rewriting I think would be bad. That is why I am in favor of the sidebar like I quoted above.

• AlanGunhouse
    replied
    Originally posted by Deskepticon View Post
    It would require a great deal of rewriting and reorganizing of the books, but a good fix would be to give the races a Trait die and Frameworks a static Trait bonus.

So a Trimadore would get a free d6 Repair while the Operator gives +2 Repair.
    That does sound pretty good, but what about edges?

Leave a comment:

• Freemage
    commented on 's reply
    "Duplication During Creation: In the case where Iconic Framework abilities, Racial abilities and/or Hero's Journey Table rolls produce duplicate bonuses, the GM and Player should negotiate a reasonable substitution, which should reflect the original intent of the bonus. Thus, if both the race and HJ rolls, for instance, grand d6 Stealth, the character might receive the Thief Edge, instead."

Personally I'd prefer the following general rules of thumb:
    Edges should be advanced along their Edge chain, if any, or to 2 bonus points to be spent on the appropriate Skill.
    Duplicate Skills should be converted to Skill points to be spent on the Skill in question.

• Deskepticon
    replied
    It would require a great deal of rewriting and reorganizing of the books, but a good fix would be to give the races a Trait die and Frameworks a static Trait bonus.

So a Trimadore would get a free d6 Repair while the Operator gives +2 Repair.

Leave a comment:

• tbone9581
    commented on 's reply
    Maybe just to go with die type increases.
Working...
X