Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TW Armor/Vehicles with built in Spellcasting

Hello,

A number of TW entries in AM have the notation that you can use the armor (vehicle's) spellcasting of d8 to activate built in powers etc.

Does this mean these items can be used by non-Arcane Background characters or is it just an another option for spellcasters?

Either way it is a new wrinkle on TW and probably requires a sidebar explanation.

VV

If you can't use TW gear then you can't use TW gear. Even if that TW gear can cast spells itself.
    To use TW gear, "(TW) gear operates with a flow of arcane energy and can only be used by those able to manipulate this mystical energy flow—usually granted by an Arcane Background or special ability."
    If you don't have an Arcane Background or other special ability that allows you to use TW gear then you can't use TW gear. Period.
    I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Originally posted by ValhallaGH View Post
      If you can't use TW gear then you can't use TW gear. Even if that TW gear can cast spells itself.
      To use TW gear, "(TW) gear operates with a flow of arcane energy and can only be used by those able to manipulate this mystical energy flow—usually granted by an Arcane Background or special ability."
      If you don't have an Arcane Background or other special ability that allows you to use TW gear then you can't use TW gear. Period.
      Thank you,

I was aware of the rules as written. AM even reiterates that in the introduction to the TW Weapons section but does not do so in the Armor section intro. That omission with the addition of built in spellcasting bares clarification. Which is why I asked.

Also, it remains a new wrinkle. For example, can TWs also add spellcasting to their creations or is it somehow unique to Arzno? It is a new mechanic without explanation and is sidebar worthy.

VV
      Last edited by Venatus Vinco; 08-02-2019, 07:25 PM.

Comment

I guess it also raises a follow-up question.

Why?

If only arcane users can operate the armor and they can activate TW powers with Arcane Skill or Spirit what additional value does the armor having its own spell casting skill bring to the table?

VV

Comment

• ValhallaGH
          ValhallaGH commented
          Editing a comment
          Now this is a very good question.

Originally posted by Venatus Vinco View Post
        I guess it also raises a follow-up question.

Why?

If only arcane users can operate the armor and they can activate TW powers with Arcane Skill or Spirit what additional value does the armor having its own spell casting skill bring to the table?

VV
        The value would be if the user does not have the strength minimum, or or in the case of power armor if the psionic user does not want to suffer a -4.

By the armor itself having the ability the the modifier would not apply.

Comment

Its because the PA is closed off to magic or hampers the psionic caster no?

Wearing power armor makes using Potential Psychic Energy (PPE, including magic and miracles) impossible due primarily to the caster's inability to perform gestures or connect with energies outside the suit in a meaningful way. Those utilizing Inner Strength Points (ISP, including psionics and gifted) may use their abilities at –4, reduced to –2 if the helmet's faceplate is opened, or –1 if the entire helmet is completely removed.

having the armor have dice to cast the power circumvents that issue.
          Last edited by tbone9581; 08-02-2019, 09:55 PM.

Comment

in the Arzno book they talk about how humans who live in magic rich /tw dependent cities haver a higher P.P.E total than other humans and they can all activate TW devices despite not begin a magic uses or psychic. Maybe this added spellcasting skill in tw armor is part of that change. we might see humans who have 5 base PPE in one of the othe books for base line humans who can use tw devices. At least those are my hopes even if I doubt im right.

Comment

• mikelamroni
              mikelamroni commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, most of Arzno would have Innately Magical as a trait - probably along the lines of the Dweomer and Psyscape Background Edges

VV is correct, the person operating the TW vehicle/item uses their Spirit in absence of an Arcane skill.

I removed the offending lines of text from the Sandstorm and the Trailblazer. Did you see that crop up anywhere else in A&M or B&B? Let me know if you do find more!

Sean Owen Roberson
            Line Editor, Rifts for Savage Worlds

Comment

Working...
            X