Vronwor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vronwor

Am I missing something, or are the Vronwor the Rahu-men? I may have skipped a book in my collection.....

They seem to be, though that's a not a name that's ever used for them in the original source material. I'm guessing that the Savage Rifts crew made up a "real" racial name for them, given that "rahu" is a term from a real-world religion (Hinduism) and that "Rahu-Man" both sounds goofy and is gendered for no particular reason.

Comment

Yeah,

Sean mentioned in a few podcasts that there were some issues with the name. I thought it was licensing but could also be those described above.

VV

Comment

Originally posted by Venatus Vinco View Post
        Yeah,

Sean mentioned in a few podcasts that there were some issues with the name. I thought it was licensing but could also be those described above.

VV
        Hmm, it could be a licensing thing relating to the fact that Pinnacle has the rights to use Rifts stuff but not Palladium Fantasy stuff, and the Rahu-Men technically started as a Palladium Fantasy element even though they show up pretty prominently in Rifts,

Comment

We do get a chuckle when we have to interact with female "Dog Boys" or such in the game, so I'm kinda glad we don't have Rahu-Men added.

Comment

• Deskepticon
          Deskepticon commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, it's insensitive to use the moniker "Dog Boy" for the females of the species. Call them bitches.

• PEGRoberson
          PEGRoberson commented
          Editing a comment
          much better

Yeah, Rahu-Man for the entire species is kinda silly. I really love that race, so I'm glad they made it in, whatever they're being called!

Comment

I'd love to know where Vronwor came from though. I'd have gone with an anagram myself. Hamrenu has a nice ring.

Comment

• Atlatl Jones
            Atlatl Jones commented
            Editing a comment
            I like Hamrenu, as an anagram.

Though I would change the original into a single word like Rahuman, reminiscent of Hanuman. Or maybe Rahumon, so remove the appearance of gendering.

Originally posted by DarkFlite View Post
          We do get a chuckle when we have to interact with female "Dog Boys" or such in the game, so I'm kinda glad we don't have Rahu-Men added.
          Originally posted by doomfarrow View Post
          Yeah, Rahu-Man for the entire species is kinda silly. I really love that race, so I'm glad they made it in, whatever they're being called!
          Why would Rahu-man for a species be any sillier a name than any other? It is another species, people would say "those evil giants over the hill, the Rahu-men" And everyone from earth would think they are talking about delicious noodle soup. Most names are strange after all until you get used to them.

Comment

• ValhallaGH
            ValhallaGH commented
            Editing a comment
            Names are always weird until you get the cultural and linguistic context behind them. Then they become logical from their weird assumptions.

• Ndreare
            Ndreare commented
            Editing a comment
            Very True,
            My wife's middle name is Anacoleta. To me it was really hard to remember and I needed reminded at least three or four times. But now it is natural and I do not even remember why it felt strange those first couple months. It just took a moment to get used to the novelty of it.

Aha! 4-armed giants sounded extremely familiar for Rifts, on-the-tip-of-my-tongue familiar. So I was really surprised when a google image search showed up nothing.

Comment

so we going to see a similar change once Wolfen get finally statted, since Wolfen is a Palladium Fantasy thing brought over to Rifts?

Comment

• PEGRoberson
              PEGRoberson commented
              Editing a comment
              same issue

• magusrogue
              magusrogue commented
              Editing a comment
              Totally understand.

Thanks for posting this topic, I was hoping to see this race from my old Rifts books of yore, but I forgot their name and also couldn't find any pictures under the new name. I'm also curious why SW doesn't have any pictures for them.

Comment

• PEGRoberson
              PEGRoberson commented
              Editing a comment
              on the cover of the book, awesome art

Thats what we're missing! Wolfen! Wonder if they're going to be able to get the go-ahead for them.

Comment

"Rahu Men", like" Chromium Guardsmen"or "The Wolfen Empire" are part of the PB MEGAVERSE but not part of the Rifts Intellectual Property (IP). That said, I love the addition of enlightened cannibals to the setting.

Comment

Working...
              X