Automaton Controller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automaton Controller?

So, the Arcana Playtest dropped tonight.

It has the Controller Edge (for controlling Automatons). It also has a bunch of shiny new Automatons.

What it doesn't have is any means of starting with one, or acquiring one. I would have thought "Automaton Controller" would've been an obvious MARS package for this book, but I don't see it. And there's not even a price guide for the Automatons themselves (ideally, the Colossus would be "Not available for love or money", but otherwise...)

Is this an oversight, deliberate, or did I just miss it?

(I just found the sidebar on Automaton Creation--namely saying that's something that's limited to the Lords of Dweomer--but that still doesn't cover the idea of either a Dweomer or Tolkeen Automaton controller who then joined the Legion.
    Last edited by Freemage; 07-29-2019, 02:46 AM.

Swap out controller for robot vehicle jock, in the mars RV ace. Then pick one of them.

my best guess.
    Last edited by tbone9581; 07-29-2019, 03:58 AM.

Comment

• Freemage
      Freemage commented
      Editing a comment
      Seems the most likely approach, but it'd be nice to have it official. Also, they should absolutely say, "No, you cannot have a Colossus or a Killairgh as your starting Automaton."

• Ndreare
      Ndreare commented
      Editing a comment
      You stop that, I need to start with a Colossus.

• PEGRoberson
      PEGRoberson commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL you guys are great.

In Cannon, any of the Magi can use them, with the Battle Magus the most common.

Since they are never sold, and are actually imparted with the Essence of The Three, it would make sense to havethe "Magi of Dweomer" edge as a prerequisite for the "Controller" Edge.

Comment

My reading of A&M is that automatons don't leave Dweomer, and thus aren't for PCs. That's fine with me, but I don't particularly care if others want to open it, allowing PCs to have absconded with one, or whatever. But the Colossus or a Killairgh should be off the table, either way.

Comment

• Ndreare
        Ndreare commented
        Editing a comment
        But dang it I want a Colossus.

Maybe a broken one without armor or spells. But imagine the intimidation factor!

• Freemage
        Freemage commented
        Editing a comment
        Dweomer Automatons don't leave Dweomer, but those were not the only ones in existence in PR; it's noted even in A&M that several saw service in Tolkeen. Given how many Tolkeen vets there are in the Tomorrow Legion, it seems strange to flat-out rule that none of the Automaton Operators have made the jump.

• Venatus Vinco
        Venatus Vinco commented
        Editing a comment
        During the Ask me Anything, the Birchers suggested stealing one or GM fiat for starting with an Automaton.

As a GM, then, I would say take the robot pilot MARS package, swap in the Controller edge and away you go.

VV

One could run a Dweomer campaign.

Comment

• Tribe of One
        Tribe of One commented
        Editing a comment
        Then I think you're ignoring my point. In the current rules, the assumption is that players are part of the Tomorrow Legion and per the rules, they do not have access to Coalition gear. If a GM wants to run a Coalition game, they can, but will have to house rule access to Coalition equipment. The situation with Dweomer, so far, is set up in exactly the same way. Per the A&M draft, PCs don't get access to automatons. If a GM wants to run a Dweomer game, they certainly can, but will need to house rule access to Dweomer equipment.

• Radecliffe
        Radecliffe commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm not ignoring your point I said I didn't see your point. I said that pretty plainly.

Given all the stuff that PEGRoberson has said about Empires of Humanity I still don't how a Coalition campaign will require a house rule. There's going to be MARS packages to do a number Coalition OCC's and Arcana & Mysticism certainly has MARS packages to build Dweomer OCC's. Even have edges specific to that purpose.
        Last edited by Radecliffe; 08-07-2019, 06:19 PM.

• PEGRoberson
        PEGRoberson commented
        Editing a comment
        Tomorrow Legion is the core playstyle but we want to support GM and player ingenuity when thematically possible. I want to do a Merc book for example.

Here's what we came up with:

Automaton Controller
      Begin with Occult d6, Piloting d6,
      plus the Ace and Controller Edges.
      „„Select one available Automaton (per
      GM’s review).
      „„Make one less roll on the Hero’s
      Journey tables.
      „„Begin with standard Starting Gear and
      an arcane tool kit.

I also had to advise the GM that the Infiltrator (my desired model) was way overpowered, because they decided to give it infinite ISP (which it definitely did not have in PR). We toned it down to a respectable 40 internal ISP available for spellcasting; it recharges at the Controller's rate, or can be speed-charged just like any TW gear. Figuring out Trappings for the Automaton's Powers by going to the PR sourcebooks was fun.

Comment

• Ndreare
        Ndreare commented
        Editing a comment
        This is missing the Arcane Background Magic.

So you may have to take away the skills to make room for Brotherhood and AB Magic?

Then again the Golems are not as powerful as real robots, because they do not protect you. So maybe just add the Brotherhood and AB Magic

• Venatus Vinco
        Venatus Vinco commented
        Editing a comment
        We also saw a sneak peak that says Robot Aces will get access to their combat edges when fighting in the vehicle. So, if that boost is there for them AB Magic would be no problem to add to the controller.

VV

• Freemage
        Freemage commented
        Editing a comment
        Gah, you're right. I actually did AB: Magic instead of Ace.

But I've stated my reason above for not seeing a need for Dweomer ties as part of the baseline MARS Package. It certainly COULD be, and would make sense, but between Tolkeen, Lazlo and other locations that do make use of Automatons, I don't think it's something that has to be required.
    Working...
    X