Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Psi-Stalkers Psychic Sense: "inherent ability" or "Innate Ability"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Psi-Stalkers Psychic Sense: "inherent ability" or "Innate Ability"?

The text on the Psi-Stalker race write up on page 63 describes Psychic Sense as
    the inherent ability to detect arcana
    and, on page 64 in the table labeled "Psychic Sense," reads
    Dog Boys and Psi-Stalkers have the innate ability to sense and track the supernatural.
    Now that "Innate Ability" has a defined meaning in the TLPG (able to be activated as a free action and able to be modified by Power Modifiers), I could use some clarification on whether Psychic Sense counts as an Innate Ability. Obviously, it wouldn't benefit from being a free action (it's always on), but could certainly get some benefit from Power Modifiers.

Originally posted by Café Truck View Post
    Obviously, it wouldn't benefit from being a free action (it's always on), but could certainly get some benefit from Power Modifiers.
    "Always on" is just the Trapping. It's still a Free Action to actually use the power. In any case, it seems the intent is to make it an Innate Ability.

Comment

Well, now I’d like some clarification about whether it being always on uses up one of my maximum of three actions per turn.

Comment

Originally posted by Café Truck View Post
        Well, now I’d like some clarification about whether it being always on uses up one of my maximum of three actions per turn.
        How could it?
        The limit is on Actions, not Free Actions. Maintaining active abilities is a Free Action.
        By what logic could Psychic Sense consume an Action every turn?
        I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

My understanding is that, in SWADE, a character may only take 3 actions on his turn. A free action uses one of those, but doesn’t incur a multi-action penalty. I’m looking at p.103 of the SWADE PDF under “Multi-Actions,” for reference. Might be I’m looking in the wrong place?

Comment

• ValhallaGH
            ValhallaGH commented
            Editing a comment
            See Actions on page 92.

Never mind. I just apparently cannot read, because there’s a “Free Action” section a few pages earlier. Okay, now I’m just back to wondering if it’s an Innate Ability.

Comment

The Free Actions clause on 103 is largely my fault, letting me know that MAP doesn't apply to any Trait rolls you make for Free Actions.

Page 92, Actions, has a lovely section about free actions. A section that's very relevant.
            A hero can generally perform several free actions
            on her turn simultaneously (speaking and
            dropping an item while walking, for example).
            The GM must decide how much is too much.
            Free Actions are very different from normal Actions. Which is why they get that special note on page 103.
            I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

• Café Truck
              Café Truck commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, I had missed that one and somehow got myself all crossed up that free actions worked differently in SWADE than SWD. Gonna have to give the core book another read through or two before the final TLPG hits. Rifts is the only game I’m currently running, so my brain hasn’t fully absorbed SWADE.
          Working...
          X