No announcement yet.

I want my Giant Robot Vehicle to have a cup holder and an e-clip charging point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want my Giant Robot Vehicle to have a cup holder and an e-clip charging point

It seems to me that if you can jury rig an e-clip charger from a vehicle nuclear power plant then the smart folks at Northern Gun, Titan Robotics, Triax etc would include that incredibly useful item as standard in their nuclear powered vehicle. Right next to the cup holder...

It does seem like a reasonable add on. Or to powered armor for that matter

Comment

Only if the increased sales (or protected sales, if competitors start offering it) would offset income from charging services.

I could easily see it as a common aftermarket upgrade, though.

Comment

• ogbendog
        ogbendog commented
        Editing a comment
        I doubt the manufacturers of Robot Vehicles also are in the e-clip recharging business

• McSquizzy
        McSquizzy commented
        Editing a comment
        Eh, Northern Gun certainly would be, but I can see your point.

I have always assumed there is one attached to just about anything "major" with a nuke engine. AKA Robot Armor, Power Armor, vehicles.

Comment

Originally posted by Gancis View Post
        I have always assumed there is one attached to just about anything "major" with a nuke engine. AKA Robot Armor, Power Armor, vehicles.
        That’s the way I gm it as well for Robot Vehicles and Nuclear Vehicles. I don’t put it in power armor though. In my minds eye there isn’t enough room inside to fiddle with one.
        Last edited by d22249; 07-12-2019, 01:22 AM.

Comment

• ValhallaGH
          ValhallaGH commented
          Editing a comment
          I always thought there was one on the outside, so you could pop a clip into charge while walking around between firefights. When the little timer on your HUD dings you swap another empty in.
          From a military logistics view, that's one hell of a good feature. And wildly safer than making your troops field rig every time they need to reload.

Officially, there is not, and it's a tricky, dangerous task to jury rig

Comment

But that jury rig rule is pretty stupid and I haven't seen a GM yet that enforces it. You have parties running around the wilderness all the time, usually with their own nuclear power plant along for the ride. That makes for a pretty huge incentive for someone to think "Hey, all I have to do is install a glorified USB port to recharge e-clips!" Not to mention any electric vehicles or the odd Gladius suit that might be along for the ride.

Comment

Originally posted by ogbendog View Post
            Officially, there is not, and it's a tricky, dangerous task to jury rig
            True. And I think that's kind of dumb.

Having that rule as an option makes a lot of sense.
            But most military equipment not having a charging port, or six, as standard is a mind boggling bizarre choice from a logistics view. You're already fielding nuclear reactors with nearly unlimited output; why not use those to charge the e-clips for your long range patrols, sieges, and multi-day battles? It clears a host of serious supply issues, letting you devote more transport to food, water, and medical supplies instead of crates of e-clips.
            Not having it on the electric engines makes sense. That would just drain their charge faster, reducing range even further. Not worth it.
            But for the nuclear reactors, like robot vehicles and power armor, there's no real reason to not have e-clip charging stations as either standard features or optional accessories.
            I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

It doesn’t make a whole lot of sense not to have e-clip chargers in Nuke Vehicles in Savage Rifts. I always thought that the Tomorrow Legion served several purposes. It got the pc’s together, gave them a purpose and took care of logistical needs so the players and gm didn’t need to track beans and bullets unless the plot needed it. If that’s true, then it makes sense to be able to easily recharge energy weapons/stuff in the field.

Magic users can get their energy refilled by resting. The new Ley Line rules eliminated tactical recharges but they can still recharge by resting. E-clip charging ports would give energy weapons the same ability.

Comment

Not to mention that rail gun ammo lasts for what seems like forever.

Comment

NG does offer UEL (universal Energy Link) in most of its newer models of PA. Also the NG 96, battery (the type that powers the Gladius) UEL is also available for Borgs.. but the UEL substitutes for a E clip. I havnt found reference to a charging function.

Comment

Working...
                  X