Body armor vs modern weapons

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body armor vs modern weapons

Should the body armor and power armor in rifts resist bullet damage? Power armor used to ignore 4 AP from ballistic weapons, but this has been removed.

Modern firearms from the SWADE book offer strong offensive options for their financial cost. Even if increasing the cost by 5 or 10 times they are still great options. Has anyone had any experiences with this, consider it a problem, or think that it is fine as it is?

I feel that either using either "Ballistic Protection" or "Sloped Armor" could be used to great effect to give the armor that feeling of being superior to what would be primitive fire arms.

Generally, the large amount of protection offered by Rifts armors renders modern firearms relatively ineffective.
    The double barrel shotgun is the only consistent exception. The +4 damage for using both barrels is shockingly effective, even against Dead Boys.

Personally, I'm happy with the results. Modern combat soldiers will often laugh at a bow and arrow, but a pointed stick to the neck is still often fatal.
    I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychonus View Post
      Power armor used to ignore 4 AP from ballistic weapons, but this has been removed.
      Wait, they changed that? Why was this removed? Was it because the designers felt the rule was bad, or just that it came up too rarely to be worth noting?

Comment

As I completely missed the original rule I won't miss it!
        More seriously, the fewer exceptions and special cases I have to remember the better

Comment

I believe that rule came up in play one time for me in one game.

Comment

It was an extremely niche rule in my experience. I remember it getting discussed a few times but I don't think it actually ever came up.

Comment

I could see the idea that modern Rifts Body Armor is more for energy attacks and less Ballistic protection. So, yes, technically kevlar is better than some Body Armor against bullets, but overall Body Armor is better

Comment

In the modern armor section of the SWADE book (p. 70) there's a note about Ballistic Protection and kevlar armor reducing the damage from bullets by 4. The question is should that rule apply to RIFTS armor? And that opens up a lot of questions about what counts as a "bullet" in this setting. I can see arguments showing up about railgun shots counting for this coming up.

Comment

• Deskepticon
                  Deskepticon commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Might be a good note to add to "hyperkinetic" rounds, seeing as how currently that tag only affects the elusive Sloped Armor.

Rail guns were not considered ballistic was we think of the term in the last version of Rifts. Nothing to indicate this has changed. If they want damage from some weapon types to be modified by certain types of armor they will say so.

Comment

Originally posted by Radecliffe View Post
                  Rail guns were not considered ballistic was we think of the term in the last version of Rifts. Nothing to indicate this has changed. If they want damage from some weapon types to be modified by certain types of armor they will say so.
                  Strike that and reverse it. Rail guns were the only ballistic weapons in SWD Rifts, but they were specifically exempt from the "ballistic armor" rule.

Also, few armors in SR playtest can't match a kevlar vest's effective 8 points of of protection vs bullets.

Comment

• ogbendog
                    ogbendog commented
                    Editing a comment
                    and of course, a kevlar vest is useless against a called shot to the arm or leg

• paladin2019
                    paladin2019 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Uhh, few can't = most can. We agree.

Thanks for breaking down the list.

• paladin2019
                    paladin2019 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Also, bullets, per kevlar's special rules, come from firearms. Only modern .50 cals are heavy weapons, so very few of them can damage a character wearing MDC armor.
                Working...
                X