Bio-Wizardry Appendages and Mega Damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bio-Wizardry Appendages and Mega Damage

Are these supposed to inflict mega damage? The claws, fangs, horns, and pincers in particular seem like they should.

You could possibly replace ", see The Tomorrow Legion Player's Guide." With ". All appendages inflict mega damage." at the top of page 69.

No, even in the PB book they did not do MD unless the host already did or was converted to in a chamber.

Comment

I know they have said before back when it was new and we were still doing reviews for the old kickstarter melee things are deliberately made MDC to encourage a certain type of action. I really do not see it as that much of a problem, MD or not is not nearly as important as the dice rolled. Most baddies are not MD anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by Shinigami View Post
        No, even in the PB book they did not do MD unless the host already did or was converted to in a chamber.
        One of the really silly aspects of the Palladium material is the arbitrariness of what does SD or MD, though that's beside the point. Serious melee weapons do mega damage in SWADE, and having these weapons not do that kind of damage badly weakens their appeal. OTOH, that kind of perfectly captures how bad of an idea paying for these was in the original material.

Thinking on it some more, the one place Mega damage should definitely be noted either way is somewhere in the bio-borgs abilities. Currently, I am not sure if a pair of bio-borg pincers could hurt a PA pilot.

Comment

Ohh... for the Bio-Borg. Yes, Mega-Damage in that case. It is still unarmed and Bio-Borg do Mega Damage with unarmed attacks, even though they are considered armed for determining if they are Unarmed Defenders and fighting vs. Two Weapons.

Comment

Upcoming errata: Attacks with Strength d12+1 or higher deal Mega Damage.
            Sean Owen Roberson
            Line Editor, Rifts® for Savage Worlds
            Creative Director, Palladium Books

Comment

Just for bio-wizardry or in general?

Comment

Originally posted by paladin2019 View Post
                Pretty sure its for bio-borgs with melee weapon bio-wizardry.

Comment

In general.
                  Sean Owen Roberson

Comment

I would strongly recommend against that. Part of the adaptation philosophy was to cut back on the sources of mega damage. This will expand it. Juicers and Grackleteeth will regularly start dealing mega damage and the investment for Altarans, orcs and ogres to do so will be pretty minimal, too.

Comment

Basically, I think simply tying mega damage to a Strength rating as a general rule puts too many characters in tank-punching club.

Comment

Part of the adaptation philosophy was to cut back on the sources of mega damage.
                        We redefined what was and wasn't "mega damage". The philosophy wasn't to simply reduce the number of sources just for the sake of it.

Juicers and Grackleteeth will regularly start dealing mega damage
                        Grackle Tooth and Juicers (high PS) are both able to do mega damage with unarmed attacks in the source material.

and the investment for Altarans, orcs and ogres to do so will be pretty minimal, too.
                        The investment would be pretty high, actually, requiring sacrifices to other Attributes and the expenditure of multiple Edge/Advancement choices. On the other hand, the same character could spend one Edge to take a Cybernetic weapon, Tattoo weapon, etc to gain a similar ability to deal Mega Damage in melee combat.

Just counter-points. I'm open to discussion on this one.
                        Last edited by PEGRoberson; 09-03-2021, 08:06 AM.
                        Sean Owen Roberson

Comment

I think that the high strength = mega damage in melee rule is a fantastic idea. A lot of things that have that insane of strength really should do mega damage. Also, most PC juicers don't even hit d12+1 strength in my experience. It's cool that those who do make that investment get a mechanic to emphasize their sheer physical power.

Comment

High strength causing your unarmed and natural weapon attacks to be mega damage makes sense to me. One could quibble over exactly how high should be required, but making it anything above the normal trait cap is elegant and easy to remember.

Characters with "low" superhuman strength and normal fists are still going to be pretty bad at punching tanks. With d12+1 or d12+2 mega damage and no AP the odds of wounding a target in even light power armor aren't great. You can take edges to improve that, but honestly if someone wants to build their character around being a Juicer that can take down a SAMAS with their bare hands, I say more power to them.

Comment

I think it would be fine. A normal human maxes out at d12 strength (or d12+2 assuming they have the Professional and Expert edges). So anything over a certain point is extraordinary anyways. To say once you have extraordinary strength you are able to inflict mega damage hurts nothing, but lets the door open for concepts like Titan Juicer Bruiser who likes to fight bear handed.

Comment

Working...
                              X