Hero's Journey After Character Creation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hero's Journey After Character Creation

In your games, do players ever ask to roll on the Hero's Journey tables after character creation? We had this come up in a way in our game when a player wanted to add an enhancement from the Ranged Weapons table to his character's rifle at Seasoned rank. Our GM ultimately allowed it at the cost of what a similar TW upgrade would cost, but it got me thinking about the tables generally.

Would you, for instance, allow a player to forego an Advance for a roll on a table? On the one hand, the tables can give some pretty powerful results. On the other, the randomness balances it out a bit. What do you guys think?

As you mention, some of the options on Hero's Journey are very powerful. Two off the cuff thoughts:
    1. If they want to just choose one, make it 2 advances worth.
    2. If it is random, have it be one advance worth but it takes effect over the next session or two as it is worked into the storyline by the GM and players.

Comment

As an alternative to the 'working it in' option, some cases could be handled by the player doing an Interlude-type sequence where they lay out what happened. If you make them also take a card for a Theme (per the Interlude rules), this could be a challenge in itself.

And yes, I agree that it would 1 Advance for a Random Roll, and I probably would not allow the 2-for-1 to pick at all.

Thinking on it further, I might limit the option to the IF's preferred tables. So only a MARS character would really have open access--other IFs get to be more IF-y.
      Last edited by Freemage; 08-10-2017, 04:59 PM.

Comment

I have thinking about this myself a little bit. In FFG Age.of Rebellion the group has a stat called contribution ranks which measures how much they have been helping the cause. As their rank gets higher they get access to more powerful things.

So I was thinking of doing something like that for Savage Rifts that would allow the characters to get a rile on a Heroes Journey table.

Salcor

Comment

Background edges can be taken after character creation so if your character doesn't have it yet you can always take Rich and/or Filthy Rich to roll on the appropriate table.. For myself, however, other than that would not be in favor of allowing rolls and if I did there would be no 2 for 1 swaps with the exception of the aforementioned Rich edges. Having said that if there were some mod that someone wanted off one of the equipment tables as GM I'd be happy to negotiate a price to make it happen.

If players just want new equipment then that is what credits are for.

Comment

Originally posted by Freemage View Post
            Thinking on it further, I might limit the option to the IF's preferred tables. So only a MARS character would really have open access--other IFs get to be more IF-y.
            I like this approach a lot. It feels organic and on-theme while still allowing for some randomness to Advances for players who are interested.

Comment

I've used HJ results as the effects of various magic items and relics.
              My crew finished A Fine Solution, and looted a psionic circlet that provided the 17-18 result (+2 Intimidation and Persuasion, +2 to cast fear), no ISP cost to benefit. They seemed pretty impressed with it.
              I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Originally posted by ValhallaGH View Post
                I've used HJ results as the effects of various magic items and relics.
                My crew finished A Fine Solution, and looted a psionic circlet that provided the 17-18 result (+2 Intimidation and Persuasion, +2 to cast fear), no ISP cost to benefit. They seemed pretty impressed with it.
                That's cleverly done. I might do something similar for side adventure rewards in my game. Thanks for the idea!

Comment

Working...
                X