No announcement yet.

Major Powers used on items for bonuses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major Powers used on items for bonuses?

If I use two minor powers on an item for the same power, I add +2 shooting or a penalty reduction of +2 to called shots etc. to said item. If I use major powers, do they count as two stacks of the minor power & if so, does it add +4 if I stack two majors?

You can replace major upgrades with minor ones but you still are limited to 2 of the same minor upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by Radecliffe View Post
      You can replace major upgrades with minor ones but you still are limited to 2 of the same minor upgrade.
      so, each major upgrade would only provide +1 like it was a minor? Or would it just count as 2 minors in all ways & only one be usable? My character is a legendary master artificer. I am looking to build a rifle scope with Far sight - Dark Sight - then stack 2 major powers into reducing called shot penalties by 4. The minor powers I am adding in are stacking 2 weight reductions, & then +2 to shooting.
      Last edited by Kellary; 10-07-2020, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kellary View Post

so, each major upgrade would only provide +1 like it was a minor? Or would it just count as 2 minors in all ways & only one be usable? My character is a legendary master artificer. I am looking to build a rifle scope with Far sight - Dark Sight - then stack 2 major powers into reducing called shot penalties by 4. The minor powers I am adding in are stacking 2 weight reductions, & then +2 to shooting.
        I'm not sure if I understand you meaning but it's not like a minor it is a minor. At Legendary an Artificer can add up to 4 minor upgrades and 4 major upgrades. These upgrades follow the same rules as TW conversions so only 2 applications of a particular upgrade is allowed (e.g. +2 Shooting) Another thing you are allowed to do is replace major upgrades with minor upgrades. So the same Legendary Artificer can put up to 8 minor upgrades and ZERO major upgrades on an item if they so choose. Slots are swapped on a one for one basis BTW. You don't get multiple minor slots in exchange for a major one.

In your example you are using 2 major upgrades to install powers (Far Sight and Dark Sight.) You then want to reduce called shot penalties by 4. This isn't explicitly in the list so it would be a GM's call but I would imagine this would be 2 minor upgrades (negate 2 points of penalties per upgrade.) Reducing weight twice would use two minor slots and +2 shooting uses two more minor upgrades. This would be eight total and no more than 4 of them are major upgrades so you should be ok.

A couple caveats though. First I assume you are actually doing a TW conversion? Major Item Creation is strictly for non-mechanical and non-electrical items. A rifle scope is most definitely a mechanical item of precision machining and wouldn't qualify for enchantment. I would also recommend just adding the edges Marksman and Sharpshooter instead of the negate 4 points of penalties. You get the same effect and then some and you are still at 4 or less major upgrades too so you are still ok in that department.

Of course if you are trying to do an enchanted item there are easy workarounds. Create a simple iron ring then enchant it as above and mount it as a sight on your weapon.

Also, it's helpful if you don't refer to upgrades as powers. It's very confusing.

Hope this helps.

Comment

I am a Weird Scientist, so all of my powers are trapped as technological & require a full machine shop[I have a headquarters edge for that] & lots of computer programming. I have those combat edges & Trick Shooting already, with cover penalties range penalties etc I find I could use more penalty negation to make myself more able to kill them before they can kill me. I was concerned about the penalty negaters because some of us read it as a +1 per major power & some of us think it should count as 2 minors for a major, the argument pretty much centers on being able to add 2 +4 armor penetration modifiers. I don't much care either way, it is still a bonus from standard & that helps IMO

Comment

• Ndreare
            Ndreare commented
            Editing a comment
            With you use of Weird Science for upgrades and an edge not from Rifts "Headquarters" I think it is possible you are looking for official feedback on a question related to house rules.

That said, if you are talking about Techno-Wizardry, you could get the official answer here by asking in that forum.

As a GM, I give the side eye to anything or combination of things that grants more than +4, no matter the source. But am generally okay up until that point. So while things may be mechanically possible, it does not mean they are appropriate in all games.

For example while trying to run the PPC in Blood and Bane I reviewed the mission and specifically asked the players to make lower powered characters, because their normal characters would walk through the PPC unchallenged. (Though only two of them, the married man and my daughter, did so.)

Please post rules questions in the Q&A forum and I'd be happy to answer there
          Sean Owen Roberson
          Line Manager, Rifts for Savage Worlds

Comment

Working...
          X