Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mind Melters finally get an Iconic Edge but is it worth taking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ndreare
    commented on 's reply
    I think Success would be shaken and a raise would be a wound. (Like with Banish or Illusion, which both follow this pattern.)

However maybe allow multiple wounds with multiple raises like with normal damage.

• PEGRoberson
    commented on 's reply
    Interesting ideas!

• PEGRoberson
    commented on 's reply
    Haha!

• Aarron
    replied
    I really like the option of just being able to melt minds. Direct brain damage, whether organic or artificial.

Melt Mind: You attack the target's mind directly. Make an opposed psionics roll against the target's smarts. Success causes a wound. Additional successes cause the target fatigue.

Or maybe a custom version of fear, playing on the Mind Melter's ability to access and manipulate their opponent's innermost reality and manipulate their own auras.

Nightmare: Innate ability. No ISP cost. The Mind Melter reaches deep into their opponent's minds and becomes their greatest fear. Usable only during combat. Takes an action to activate. When activated this ability triggers a fear test at -4 among all enemies who can sense the Mind Melter and who are not immune.
    Last edited by Aarron; 10-29-2020, 05:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Deskepticon
    commented on 's reply
    You'll be hearing from my lawyer.

Haha, just kidding! I can't afford one.

• PEGRoberson
    replied
    I hope yall don't mind I'm taking notes for possible future Edges

Leave a comment:

• PEGRoberson
    commented on 's reply
    Well the main difference it that it can kill/Incapacitate. This can be super powerful against Wild Cards or physically tough enemies. That said, as I mentioned above please post about it in the Feedback forum

• PEGRoberson
    commented on 's reply
    not a bad suggestion. please add it to the Feedback forum.

• Deskepticon
    commented on 's reply
    Salcor
    It was originally written under deluxe.
    But obviously rewritten for SWADE.
    Still, slumber existed under Deluxe so I imagine the original versions of the Edges having the same issues.

• Salcor
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks that is actually pretty elegant. Perhaps make it an Iconic edge that gives that special.mega power modifier to the MM.

• Salcor
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for the feedback. Somethings to consider. The idea was generated to give mind melters that ability to affect people unseen from a distance. It was originally written under deluxe.

Salcor

• Chainsaw
    replied
    I do think there is some utility in Bio-Manipulation, but you do have to focus resources into it and realize you are dependent on the rest of your party to really make it shine. Its too slow only when the Mind Melter is on his own and needs to take down a foe quickly. That's a bad situation for a Mind Melter to be in anyway. I guess the value depends on the group and what you are trying to do.

That being said, I really would like to see a way for a Mind Melter to do a taunt/intimidation Test with no multi-action penalty. Taking a page from Elemental Manipulation's Exalted Manipulation modifier and applying it to Empathy:

Exalted Empathy (needs a better name) (+2): The mental effect lashes out at the caster’s opponents. Once per round the caster may use a free action to initiate an Intimidate or Taunt Test on a target within Range using his arcane skill in place of his Taunt or Intimidation skill.

Couple this with humiliate, menacing, rabble rouser, etc. and you have a cool maintainable option that is more 'mind-melting'. Add the fatigue modifier to it and with a successful raise on a Bio-manipulation you could incapacitate a foe on your turn.

Yes it is still very resource intensive, but something that powerful probably should be.

Leave a comment:

• Deskepticon
    commented on 's reply
    Radecliffe Ah, ha! I see. Thanks!

Although that's not what the OP says:
    When using certain powers... you can cause fatigue IF getting a raise and IF they don't fail to resist they take an extra level of fatigue which can incapacitate.
    "Don't fail to resist" = power is not successful
    And "extra level of Fatigue" suggests two total.
    _____

Anyway, I think I need to agree with you then. It's a pretty weak Edge.
    Last edited by Deskepticon; 08-27-2020, 12:13 AM. Reason: Whoops! Forgot word "not"

• Radecliffe
    commented on 's reply
    Nope, to get any effect you have to get a raise and they have to fail to resist so the most you can get in one go is 2 fatigue assuming you are using the fatigue mod.

• Deskepticon
    commented on 's reply
    Radecliffe
    You need three fatigue to incapacitate actually.
    Oh, maybe I misunderstood how the Edge works (again, I don't actually have any of the books). From your description above, it sounds like the Edge deals one level of Fatigue if the power succeeds, and another if it hits with a raise (for two levels total). Adding the Fatigue power modifier would add a third level.
Working...
X