A way to tranlaste powerful RCC: S.A.T.U.R.N. IF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A way to tranlaste powerful RCC: S.A.T.U.R.N. IF

Some races have difficulties being balanced at +2, and yet do not have enough abilities to become full-fledged IP. Here's where S.A.T.U.R.N. comes into play, inspired by the MARS IF. Basically, they replace the normal MARS benefits by a powerful race balanced at +18. Comments are, as always, more than welcome.

A Superior Alien, Tribe, Unique Race or Non-human (S.A.T.U.R.N.) is for all intents and purposes better than your average human or D-Bee. They face most of the difficulties associated with being different than humans in the world of RIFTS Earth, but can definitively hold their ground better than some. Follow the following steps when creating a S.A.T.U.R.N. character.

1. Do not select a race. This IF is your race.
    2. Select one of the S.A.T.U.R.N. package below
    3. Roll of the MARS Fortune & Glory table twice.
    4. SATURN heroes begin with two rolls on any Hero’s Journey tables
    5. Build your character as normal with 4 additional Advances, beginning play at Seasoned.

Examples of S.A.T.U.R.N. packages (Generic enough)

Daeva
    Six-armed and both physically and mentally superior than humans, the Daeva probably inspired some of the earlier earth mythologies.
    -D-Bee
    -Non-Standard Build
    -Size +1
    -All Attributes starts at d6 (max d12+1)
    -No Multi-Action penalties
    -Pace 8
    -Reach +1

Giants
    12 to 15 feet tall, Strong as a hundred men.
    -D-Bee
    -Non-Standard Build
    -Bad Reputation
    -Large
    -Size +4
    -Strength starts at d12 (max d12+4)
    -Vigor starts at d8 (Max d12+2)
    -Natural Armor (+2 MDC)
    -Pace 12 (run 2d6)
    -Reach+2
    -Unarmed attacks deal Str+d6 (Mega Damage)

Alternatively, M.A.R.S and S.A.T.U.R.N. packages can be taken together. In this case, follow the following steps:
    1. Do not select a race
    2. Select a MA.R.S package
    3. Select a S.A.T.U.R.N. package
    4. Begin with two rolls on any Hero’s Journey tables (no Fortune and Glory rolls)
    5. Build you character as a normal Novice character.

Okay, I absolutely love the acronym. You win Savage Rifts for today.

This looks solid. It's all based around the assumption that a MARS package is worth +16 points, which is reasonable as most range from +15 to +19. Basically, you kind of did turn the race into an I.F., but it's an open-ended I.F. into which any SATURN face could be slotted. Good job!

Comment

• dentris
      dentris commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks,
      I must admit that once the basic outline of the IF was finished, I knew I needed planet-inspired initials. Finding the right words took longer than designing the IF proper...

I actually ttied to balanced the IF at around +14, (there is one less HJ roll) because racial abilities are more versatile than Edges.
      Last edited by dentris; 05-10-2020, 04:47 PM.

Okay, I'm breaking down the math because I do really like this idea and want to add it to our games, and I need to atomize everything before using it.

So a typical M.A.R.S. character breaks down as:
    • Normal Race: +2
    • Two F&G rolls: +8
    • Three HJ rolls: +6
    • Four advances: +8
    • A package of stuff ranging from +15 to +19
    So 22 + (15 to 19) = 37 to 41 points total.

So the first option breaks down as:
    • SATURN race: +18
    • Two F&G rolls: +8
    • Two HJ rolls: +4
    • Four advances: +8
    So that's a total of 38 points. As you note that racial abilities are pretty potent, so this should be on the low end; very fair.

The second option breaks down as:
    • SATURN race: +18
    • Two HJ rolls: +4
    • A package of stuff ranging from +15 to +19
    So that's a total of 37 to 41 points, exactly the same as the MARS characters. Arguably a better deal due to those potent racial abilities, but I think the tradeoff of not getting to start Seasoned makes a big difference; one of the hidden benefits of MARS characters is early in-play access to a ton of other Edges that non-MARS have to wait for.

Yep, math works out perfectly. Only thing I might do differently is take the race to +16 and leave the HJ rolls at 3, just because the consistency makes it easier for players to remember, and also I think it's actually easier to fit more OP races into the 12-15 range.

dentris , would you mind if I put the SATURN option up on our wiki? I'll be happy to credit you and/or link back to this thread (or your website if you have one).
    Last edited by pkitty; 05-11-2020, 06:26 PM.

Comment

pkitty By all means share it away (a simple credit and link to this thread is fine). I would love to see other Saturn packages as well, so I want this idea to be as open as possible.

Comment

Out of curiosity, what’s the point value of +2 MDC as a racial ability? It seems like something grackletooth should have, imo more than an extra action because of their tail.

Comment

• pkitty
          pkitty commented
          Editing a comment
          I definitely would not give the Grackletooth MDC armor. They are not tanks. The only reason the Dragon Juicer gets it is from the metaphysical power they draw from the dragon's blood.

As for a fair cost, it might be worth posting a thread in New Release Feedback specifically to ask Sean what value he assigned when building the Dragon Juicer.

Originally posted by Kramrassa View Post
        Out of curiosity, what’s the point value of +2 MDC as a racial ability? It seems like something grackletooth should have, imo more than an extra action because of their tail.
        I think it is simply to make them immune to non-MD weapons, much like the Dragon Juicer. As for Grackle Tooth, it probably goes back to the "is this a tank" thinking. I'm fairly new to the system, but I've seen a player generate a Grackle Tooth MARS Mercenary that seems pretty cool (although I do worry that he'll fall behind later with so many growth options unavailable to him).

Comment

• dentris
          dentris commented
          Editing a comment
          Kramrassa Exactly this. A giant shouldn't be bothered by small arms.

It’s just that Grackletooths we’re MDC brings in the source material and I don’t THINK they got extra actions, they could use their tail but I forget if it could hold guns or not.

Comment

• dentris
          dentris commented
          Editing a comment
          Many things were MDC in the source material and aren't anymore. Part of the SW design philosophy is convert the feel, not the exact mechanics. Is it necessary for the Grackle Tooth to be MDC to keep their ''feel''. I don't think so.

• pkitty
          pkitty commented
          Editing a comment
          Pretty much EVERY race after the first few books was MDC. Freaking fairies were MDC, as were normal orcs and other completely mundane races. Basically, Palladium realized that it was impossible for anyone to survive without MDC, so instead of addressing that on a system level, they just started making everything and everyone MDC.

I'm overjoyed that Savage Rifts didn't feel the need to copy THAT over and instead used MDC for its original stated purpose (even more so in the new edition).
      Working...
      X