I.S.A.A.C., an A.I. hovercycle Sidekick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I.S.A.A.C., an A.I. hovercycle Sidekick

While I'd be down to play an Intelligent Construct, I have to admit I see the framework as the perfect "Sidekick" concept. And if you'll forgive the obvious nod to Knight Rider, an intelligent vehicle is the perfect companion for a bold adventurer. I created this build during my quarantine-induced boredom and figured I would share it in case anyone else finds a ready-made A.I. hovercycle useful.

Note that (A) I'm presenting this in the condensed NPC format rather than as an expanded character sheet (with the build notes to follow) and (B) as a character, it uses Athletics for maneuvering, not Piloting. The Particle Beam Cannon is a vehicular weapon, but the TX-50 isn't so I used the "Anti-Personnel" tag there to avoid confusion (since it is technically a "vehicular" weapon still)

I.S.A.A.C. - Intelligent Stealth Armored Assault Cycle
    -- Attributes: Agility d12, Smarts d6, Spirit d8*, Strength d12+2, Vigor d12*
    -- Skills: Athletics d12+2, Common Knowledge d4+2, Fighting d4, Notice d6+4*, Persuasion d4-2, Repair d4+2, Research d4, Shooting d12+2, Stealth d10+2
    -- Flight: 48" (120 MPH), Parry: 4, Tough: 27 (12 MDC)
    -- Hindrances: Heroic, Illiterate, Loyal, Outsider (Major), Overconfident, Wanted
    -- Special Abilities:
    * Construct/Iron Jaw: +2 to recover from Shaken, Soak, or resist KO blows. Ignore -1 Wound penalty. Doesn't breathe. Immune to disease/poison.
    * Electronic/Sensor Suite: 360-degree awareness and ignores Darkness. 20-mile radio and electronic interface jack.
    * Heavy-Duty Hovercycle: Size +2 (Normal). Load 500 lbs., maximum 2,000. Passengers are exposed.
    * Improved Dodge: -2 to be hit at range. +2 on Evasion.
    * Retractable Arms: At -2 to physically use most gear.
    * Technological: Must be repaired, not healed. Subject to technical difficulties. Requires one hour of charging per day. Cannot improve Agility, Strength, or Vigor.
    -- Weapons:
    * TX-50 Rail Gun: 50/100/200, 2d10+2 (AP 5), RoF 3, Shots 20, Anti-Personnel
    * Particle Beam Cannon: 40/80/160, 4d8+4 (AP 16), RoF 1, +2d6 damage on raise, Atomic Annihilation (TLPG, p. 100)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The full detailed build:

ATTRIBUTES BEFORE FEATURES
    Agility d12 (4)
    Smarts d6 (1)
    Spirit d4
    Strength d4
    Vigor d4

CONSTRUCT BUILD
    -2 Artificial Intelligence (no AB)
    -2 Technological System (fix w/Repair)
    +0 Heavy Frame (Size/Tough +2, -2 to use gear)
    -2 No Ground Locomotion
    +2 Advanced Senses (360, ignore Darkness, +4 Notice)
    -2 Obvious Construct
    +0 Standard Vocal Unit
    -4 Feature Locked Physiology (fixed Agi/Str/Vig)
    +3 Armor 3 (+12 MDC)
    +2 Attribute (Spirit d4->d8)
    +6 Attribute (Strength d4->d12+2, enc/min as d12+3)
    +4 Attribute (Vigor d4->d12)
    +2 Edge 2 (Brawny, Iron Jaw)
    +1 Electronics Package (20m radio, +2 CK, Repair, Research)
    +8 Flight (48"/120 MPH)
    +2 Reinforced Chassis (+4 Tough)
    +3 Skill Bonus (+2 to Athletics, Shooting, Stealth)
    +1 Weapon Mount, External (TX-50 Rail Gun)
    +2 Weapon Mount, External (Particle Beam Cannon)

HINDRANCES
    Core Directive = Overconfident (Major)
    Heroic (Major)
    Illiterate (Minor)
    Loyal (Minor)

DERIVED
    Flight Pace 48 (no run)
    Parry 4
    Toughness 15 (2 + 6v + 2sz + 4rc + 1br)

SKILLS
    *Athletics d12+2 (4)
    *Common Knowledge d4+2
    Fighting d4 (1)
    *Notice d6+4 (1)
    *Persuasion d4-2
    Repair d4+2 (1)
    Research d4 (from bonus)
    Shooting d12+2 (5)
    *Stealth d10+2 (3)

BOUGHT EDGES
    Dodge
    Improved Dodge

WANT TO ADD VIA ADVANCES
    Nerves of Steel
    Improved Nerves of Steel
    Raise Repair, add other skills
    Last edited by pkitty; 02-10-2021, 03:49 PM.

This looks cool, there's only two issues I see, which is that you've mounted two Vehicular class weapons on it (the Mini Railgun and the Particle Beam Cannon), but per the rules in Empires of Humanity, you can only mount one vehicular weapon (Empires of Humanity, Page 14)

"For vehicular weapons systems each Mod equals +1 point, but no weapons with a Mod value greater than the Construct’s Size can be mounted, and only one vehicular weapon can be mounted." (emphasis mine)

The other has to do with skill costs and Edges Per the rules concerning Intelligent Constructs, you choose the kind of Intelligence (in this case, Artificial), then you apply Attributes, Skills, Hindrances and Edges, and then you apply all the rest of the Intelligent Construct stuff.

Therefore, since (If i'm reading your sheet right, and I apologize if I'm not), you only spend 1 point in Agility and none in Strength, it'd be Agility d6 and Strength d4. Which means you don't qualify for Dodge and Improved Dodge, and Shooting d12 would cost 8 points, not 5, Stealth d8 would cost 3, not 2; and Athletics d12 would cost 9 points

EDIT: Had to recalculate some numbers. Math hard when just awake.
    Last edited by TheFinish; 04-20-2020, 03:31 PM.

Comment

• pkitty
      pkitty commented
      Editing a comment
      Easy enough to swap the rail gun for a personal model, but you're right that I completely messed up the order of creation here! Basing skills on the attributes BEFORE Features is a crucial point that I missed, so I'll have to revamp that. Thanks!

• pkitty
      pkitty commented
      Editing a comment
      Edited with updated version, which should be 100% rules-legal.

Originally posted by TheFinish View Post
    The other has to do with skill costs and Edges Per the rules concerning Intelligent Constructs, you choose the kind of Intelligence (in this case, Artificial), then you apply Attributes, Skills, Hindrances and Edges, and then you apply all the rest of the Intelligent Construct stuff.
    Given that Shemarrians immediately follow the construction rules in the format of a combined race/IF (which it is, like the combat 'borg) to select, this is at best ambiguous. You are suggesting that when creating a renegade Shemarrian that the player, unlike any other SR character made, chooses race and IF as the last step of character creation rather than the first and second. I don't believe that fits RAI, and arguably not RAW. The Construct bits are the character's racial and IF abilities and the creation rules say to create the character as normal for SW, listing the remaining steps after choosing an IF in the same order as TLPG.

Comment

• pkitty
      pkitty commented
      Editing a comment
      If that were the case, though, I don't think the paragraph "Once you have determined the type of intelligence, follow the normal character creation process from Savage Worlds, selecting Hindrances, Attributes, Skills..." would follow immediately after the Cogito Ergo Sum section. And nothing in the Shemmarian write-up contradicts the RAW interpretation. In particular, I disagree that it's presented as an IF; it's very much presented as an Intelligent Construct build.

Originally posted by paladin2019 View Post
    Given that Shemarrians immediately follow the construction rules in the format of a combined race/IF (which it is, like the combat 'borg) to select, this is at best ambiguous. You are suggesting that when creating a renegade Shemarrian that the player, unlike any other SR character made, chooses race and IF as the last step of character creation rather than the first and second. I don't believe that fits RAI, and arguably not RAW. The Construct bits are the character's racial and IF abilities and the creation rules say to create the character as normal for SW, listing the remaining steps after choosing an IF in the same order as TLPG.
    Yes, but the construct rules specifically say, after "Cogito, Ergo Sum"

"Once you have determined the type of intelligence, follow the normal character creation process from Savage Worlds, selecting Hindrances, Attributes, Skills,and Edges."

The process for an Intelligent Construct, per RAW, is to select your type of Intelligence, then do normal SW creation, then Technology Base, Locomotion, etc. If the intent was to finalise everything before doing the normal SWADE generation, there'd be no need for them to state what they do right after the Intelligence types.

The Shemarrian example doesn't contradict this RAW either, but it has other problems, because...

Well, because the Shemarrian example given in the book is bad. There's no two ways about it. For one, it breaks the rules by having Woodsman, which is illegal (it has neither the Survival nor the Spirit requirements, and Intelligent constructs can only ignore Rank prerequisites). For two, it's hardwired skill cost is also weird, since it's assuming the Shemarrian will have d4 in all stats (which, considering they get +3 Agility die types, this is not true either)

Comment

• pkitty
      pkitty commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, if I recall correctly those were pointed out late in the process and Sean said something to the effect of not wanting to contradict the NPC stats, so the Shemarrian will just be a special case if someone uses that specific exact build.

But Intelligent Construct is an Iconic Framework. This IF uses 24 points to determine all of its features in the same way the MARS PCC simply gets 6 skill points and 3 Edges. The description says to follow the normal process and IF stuff is added to the character before the rest. You can't do that if you haven't determined what features you IF provides. Your interpretation is ambiguous RAW and nonsensical RAI.

Comment

• pkitty
      pkitty commented
      Editing a comment
      Paladin, your last statement was probably not intended to be rude, but it certainly came across that way. TheFinish’s interpretation *is* RAW and I see no reason to think it isn’t RAI, but feel free to ask for an Official Answer if you wish. Otherwise there’s really nothing to be gained by simply restating how you feel.

• TheFinish
      TheFinish commented
      Editing a comment
      It's fine, but it really all comes down to the paragraph right after "Cogito, Ergo Sum". If it's as paladin says, that paragraph has no business being there at all. But it is there, so we have to assume it's for a reason.

Intelligent Construct is by far the most complex IF out there though, so confusion is to be expected.

• PEGRon
      PEGRon commented
      Editing a comment
      MOD VOICE: Be careful categorizing people's opinions as "nonsensical." This borderlines on personal attack.

Now I want sentient armor that turns Into a motorcycle.

Comment

Oh man, I can totally see the Intelligent Construct being used way more for sidekicks of main characters then for actually playing as one.

As our group just rebuild a set of characters we were using before for the updated version, my Ninja (fallen CK) is totally getting a sidekick AI drone that attaches to the back of my armor.

Seeing this thread was good timing.

Comment

I rather like this. I could use him in my Junkyard Campaign.

Comment

I made this out of lego, I think it is usable.

Comment

Working...
          X