New Rose Knight edge / TW gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Rose Knight edge / TW gear

So two of the most iconic pieces of Rose Knight gear didn't make it into B&B. Since both are unique pieces that only work with their energy-channeling abilities, I figured it would make sense to tie them to an Edge instead of giving them a credit cost.

New Iconic Edge: Front-Line Defender
    Prereq: Knight of the White Rose

You have been granted a Conduit Sword and Barrier Shield. These are TW weapons made exclusive by and for your order, and only function in the hands of a Rose Knight. If either or both are damaged or destroyed (not sold or given away), you automatically have them fixed or replaced between adventures (assuming there's some downtime).
    • Conduit Sword: This energy blade (similar to a Flaming Sword) lets the wielder use their bolt as a melee attack, allowing for Edges like First Strike, Frenzy, etc. The PP cost to activate it per round equals twice the cost of bolt, or quadruple the cost to also give it Reach 1. (Damage/AP as per bolt, Min Str d4, 2 lbs.)
    • Barrier Shield: Treat as as a Medium Polymer Shield (Savage Worlds, p. 71) except with Hardness 20. For 1 PP per 5 rounds, the wielder's Energy Invulnerability extends 1" to either side of the Rose Knight, allowing others to take cover behind them and gain the same benefit against incoming energy attacks. While so activated, the shield itself is unbreakable, but still provides only Armor +4 if shot through.
    Thoughts?
    Last edited by pkitty; 03-09-2020, 11:40 AM.

On the Conduit Sword, why does it have Reach 1? Were the originals really that much longer than a regular sword? I'm picturing a Master Blaster with one of these.

Comment

• pkitty
      pkitty commented
      Editing a comment
      I just reread the original description, and realized I'd been misremembering -- you get a shortsword for 2xPPE but to get a bastard sword you need 4xPPE. And those seem fair in Savage Rifts, too, IMO. Thanks for catching that.

• pkitty
      pkitty commented
      Editing a comment
      And yeah, the intent is definitely that you can combine this with modifiers and such to get pretty crazy, but the PPE cost continues to scale and it'll never do more damage than what you can already do with bolt.

Originally posted by pkitty View Post
    So two of the most iconic pieces of Rose Knight gear didn't make it into B&B. Since both are unique pieces that only work with their energy-channeling abilities, I figured it would make sense to tie them to an Edge instead of giving them a credit cost.

New Iconic Edge: Front-Line Defender
    Prereq: Knight of the White Rose

You have been granted a Conduit Sword and Barrier Shield. These are TW weapons made exclusive by and for your order, and only function in the hands of a Rose Knight. If either or both are damaged or destroyed (not sold or given away), you automatically have them fixed or replaced between adventures (assuming there's some downtime).
    • Conduit Sword: This energy blade (similar to a Flaming Sword) lets the wielder use their bolt as a melee attack, allowing for Edges like First Strike, Frenzy, etc. The PP cost to activate it per round equals twice the cost of bolt, or quadruple the cost to also give it Reach 1. (Damage/AP as per bolt, Min Str d4, 2 lbs.)
    • Barrier Shield: Treat as as a Medium Polymer Shield (Savage Worlds, p. 71) except with Hardness 20. For 1 PP per 5 rounds, the wielder's Energy Invulnerability extends 1" to either side of the Rose Knight, allowing others to take cover behind them and gain the same benefit against incoming energy attacks. While so activated, the shield itself is unbreakable, but still provides only Armor +4 if shot through.
    Thoughts?
    I've never been a fan of edge or class abilities giving you gear instead of mechanics. It's why the GB pilot fails and either should have been a MARS from day one or give them unique abilities to actually make them an IF.

Same here, as an edge is a skill or focus or aspect that enhances what a character can do, so make it so the Edge gives you a Conduit skill when using swords or tw swords, and same with Barrier skill, gives you unique training that you can apply to the use of a skill or item.

A Conduit Sword should have it's own basic stats that anyone can pick up and use, but to make use of this edges abilities you need to have energy channelling or be a mystic knight. Same with the shield.

Overall I like the concept that you are trying to add for functionality when using that type of item and fits the theme of the mystic knight.

Comment

Looks fun.

Maybe for simplicity sake don't make these physical items but have them work like Psi-Blade and Psi-Shield. They form the sword or shield from energy. Then make them Iconic Edges to limit access.

You could even go so far as to make Conduit Sword a special power modifier for bolt. That would capture its altered PPE costs and link to the power. Then reach can become an additional modifier if needed.

Consider the same same for the shield, linking it to the barrier or protection powers.

Just some thoughts that might help capture your stated intent.

VV

Comment

Originally posted by Nether View Post
        I've never been a fan of edge or class abilities giving you gear instead of mechanics.
        Savage Rifts already has Edges like Rich and Filthy Rich, Tundra Ranger, Upgrade, etc. for which the sole (or at least primary) benefit is that you get extra gear. I don't see why one more would be an issue.

It's why the GB pilot fails and either should have been a MARS from day one or give them unique abilities to actually make them an IF.
        FWIW, I don't think the Glitter Boy framework "fails" at all; I think it works great as an IF.

A Conduit Sword should have it's own basic stats that anyone can pick up and use, but to make use of this edges abilities you need to have energy channelling or be a mystic knight. Same with the shield.
        Except that isn't how they work in the setting. They are specifically two pieces of gear that amplify two of the unique abilities that only a Rose Knight (well, or Mystic Knight) possesses. Why would I bring that over into Savage Rifts just to change it completely?

It's no different from the Heavy Cyber-Knight Armor only working for Cyber-Knights, for example. Some gear is IF-specific and IMO that's a good thing -- it's part of what makes these IFs cool and interesting.

Originally posted by Venatus Vinco View Post
        Maybe for simplicity sake don't make these physical items but have them work like Psi-Blade and Psi-Shield. They form the sword or shield from energy. Then make them Iconic Edges to limit access.
        I don't really want to make a change to the setting just for the sake of changing it though. I'm just trying to bring a bit more of the flavor of the Rose Knights into Savage Rifts, and their armory is a big part of it.

Comment

Originally posted by pkitty View Post
          Savage Rifts already has Edges like Rich and Filthy Rich, Tundra Ranger, Upgrade, etc. for which the sole (or at least primary) benefit is that you get extra gear. I don't see why one more would be an issue.
          Those aren't the same thing. The Rich edges though can be the exception as that is what they are all about, but even still you didn't sell the farm to get some bucks to buy some items, it's also an rp element that you are rich. But inherently most will see it only as a 'get money now' edge to buy some gear. But if just used for the one time purchase of stuff then in the longer run that character loses as others get the gear they need, now that 'rich' character is one less edge in ability vs the others, or two with Filthy.

Tundra Ranger is not like that either, it gives you some mechanics aka bonus to certain skills, and it is always saying you have unlimitted use of x items, which is an ongoing ability. So Tundra Ranger could do with never buying a vehicle or gun if he didn't want to, and never worries about ammo.

There are other edges similar to Tundra Ranger, which again is not 'get gear once' edges.

FWIW, I don't think the Glitter Boy framework "fails" at all; I think it works great as an IF.
          When most players commonly would make a MARS PA pilot and then 'get' GB suit because you were a vastly better pilot and not having your characters abilities reduced just because you had an awesome item to start, it says something. Also the IF had nothing unique that a MARS couldn't do better in every way, which begs to question why is it even a IF then. Items that can be taken away, damage, lost ect should never be a balancing factor to a class.

Except that isn't how they work in the setting. They are specifically two pieces of gear that amplify two of the unique abilities that only a Rose Knight (well, or Mystic Knight) possesses. Why would I bring that over into Savage Rifts just to change it completely?

It's no different from the Heavy Cyber-Knight Armor only working for Cyber-Knights, for example. Some gear is IF-specific and IMO that's a good thing -- it's part of what makes these IFs cool and interesting.
          I think you misunderstand, if we are talking about an edge, then what skill or ability did you learn from it? Can you take any TW sword and now channel a bolt power into it? Can you cast Barrier into a Shield for extra effect, like creating a Barrier without the item being TW?
          I'm pretty sure this is not what you are indicating but my next point;

You want a Conduit Sword and Barrier shield and how to bring them into SR;
          Well, they are just TW items, and no need to have an Edge for them. So just construct them as such.

Conduit Sword, melee activation to cast Bolt power. Users edges will determine how potent it is. (Blaster ect)
          -limited to only Mystic Knight I think is not necessary, as in why would it be in SR?
          -the original description sounds like anyone that can cast a bolt type spell can energize it to effect

Barrier Shield, this one is simply a TW shield with Barrier and Deflection on it.
          -the original had no reqs of a Mystic Knights abilities to be used, and both are identified as TW items.

The specific bonus from TW modding you put on it can vary but I think the best and most direct way of bringing these items in is to just make them what they are, TW items. Do a mission for the order and get rewarded, or jack them off a filthy Rose and then kill him with them for good measure.then proceed to taunt them with how you have them.

Comment

I'm not going to address the "gear from Edges" and "Glitter Boy" aspects, because we'll have to simply agree to disagree on both.

However, I'm curious what you would consider a fair price for the two pieces of gear. Just adapt the prices from the Madhaven book?

Comment

A lot of the gear in Savage Rifts does use the price point from the original material. Not all of it but a lot.

Comment

pkitty It depends on how you incorporate those items. I would say just use the Madhaven costs or the TW build costs, whichever is more.

If the TW build costs, then for Knights I would let them buy it at cost, so no markup or additional labor costs due to rank and availability of the orders crafters. For any other 'trusted' ally that add those markups.
                I would also offer them as rewards for missions. There is lots of other decent stuff you can convert over from that book to.

With that said though, I kind of liked the idea you were going with for the barrier shield, so an edge that allows the Knight to channel into any TW shield he uses his energy invulnerability, say on small or med blast template to protect those behind him with it's resistance. It probably means people want to throw grenades at you, but you are safe from sunburns at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                X