Magic Items on Techno-Wizard melee weapons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magic Items on Techno-Wizard melee weapons

I have a question from the techno-wizard melee weapons chart, the Battle Fury Blade and the Draining Blade are both listed as magic items not Techno-Wizard Weapons. But both still have power points cost to activate there abilities. How are these items different than other Techno-Wizard weapons? Do magic items have their own amount of power points that anyone can use?

Salcor

What you're missing is that the TW weapons cost (usually) 1 PP to activate for 5 rounds. If you don't do that, you can't even use it as a weapon. So magic items can be used at their base stats without having to spend PP -- and you may optionally spend PP to gain the additional features in the Notes.

In other words, even if I'm out of PP completely, I can use a Battle Fury Blade as a Str+2d6+4 weapon, which is still pretty darn good. If I were out of PP completely and holding a TW Light Blade, it would be no more effective than holding a roll of quarters.

Comment

pkitty, thanks. I guess I am still not sure what the difference between Techno-wizard item and a magic item is supposed to be. Things like the spirit bow are supposed to be fully usable by characters that do not have an arcane background I believe. But perhaps I have missed some small but critical piece of information.

Salcor

Comment

In a related thought, if those two blades are not considered TW items and are just magic items that will run off generic PP, does that mean that they are usable by characters with Gifted and Weird Science backgrounds?

Comment

Originally posted by Salcor View Post
          pkitty, thanks. I guess I am still not sure what the difference between Techno-wizard item and a magic item is supposed to be. Things like the spirit bow are supposed to be fully usable by characters that do not have an arcane background I believe. But perhaps I have missed some small but critical piece of information.
          Correct. One does not need an AB to use a magic/enchanted item. (The sole exception is if said magic item has a built-in power; those still require PP to activate.) That is the one huge difference between magic items and TW devices.

Originally posted by Maelgwyn View Post
          In a related thought, if those two blades are not considered TW items and are just magic items that will run off generic PP, does that mean that they are usable by characters with Gifted and Weird Science backgrounds?
          You mean, can characters with Gifted or Weird Science spend their unique PP to activate the bonus effects for them? That's a good question, and one that doesn't have a 100% clear canonical answer. We're told that Gifted and WS cannot use those PP to activate TW devices, but not a word about magic items.

Personally, I'd say yes they can, and here's my reasoning: Every other upgrade is doubled in cost and takes forever to craft, and this drawback is justified by the fact that no AB or PP is needed to use the bonus being added. The "add a power" major upgrade has the same doubled cost and increased time as the others, so that implies that its PP requirement is the only "catch" with that upgrade (necessary for balance); everything else about it should be as permissive as possible. In fact, I'd even let a d'norr or similar race with inherent PPE or ISP use those to activate a magic item's power as well.

EDIT: I'm redacting my words in red, above, as Psychonus' post below is correct.
          Last edited by pkitty; 01-22-2020, 06:34 PM.

Comment

I think they can be used by anyone, but the PP to activate it must come from PPE or ISP. I am basing this off the Major Item Creation edge. It says that the powers and edges need PP, but that it must have built in PPE for anyone that does not have PPE or ISP available to them.

Comment

• pkitty
              pkitty commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh dang, I can't believe I overlooked that sentence. You're absolutely right; officially, only PPE and ISP can be used. Sorry Gifted Weird Scientist folks!
          Working...
          X