Savaging the Psi-Slayer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Savaging the Psi-Slayer

We get a lot of players asking about the Psi-Slayer, here's out attempt to savage it.
    https://savagerifts.com/blog/savagin...he-psi-slayer/

Absolutely love it! Great conversion.

I want to add this to the list of races in our own games. Would it be okay if I mirrored the racial description on my personal wiki (so the players didn't have to jump around) if I also include a very prominent link to this blog post?

Comment

• Venatus Vinco
      Venatus Vinco commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, go ahead. A link back would be great. Also, let us know how they work in play if anyone uses one!

VV

I liked the way the logic of how the race was put together was explained.
    If anyone had a disagreement over costs or abilities it's easy to adjust to taste (not that I actually do as I have no experience of the race in question but I appreciate it being easy for anyone wishing to do so)

Comment

A few thoughts. Obviously take them or leave them!

I wonder if the Assassin edge might make more sense than No Mercy. Also, No Mercy is a seasoned edge, so it should cost 3 racial points, right? That said, I think that PEG eyeballed the PPE Vampire drawback at -3 points instead of -2. Mind you, I think having both would be better . . . and part of me wants to suggest adding even more Hindrances because lord knows the Psi-Slayer can justify them . . . but at the same time, obviously you don't want to make them unplayable.

One way to fit that in is to scale back Survival to a limited bonus, since the Psi-Slayer wasn't an outdoorsman, just a tracker. And B&B allows "Habit (Minor; Hunt or fight)" for the werecat, which isn't too punishing while still driving home how they're almost addicted to killing.

That would give:

+2 to Tracking (+1, as a limited bonus)
      AB Psionics (+2, Novice)
      Assassin (+2, Novice)
      No Mercy (+3, Seasoned)
      Psi-Dagger (+3, Seasoned)
      Total Positive: +11

Mutant (Minor) (-1)
      PPE Vampire (-3)
      Restricted Path: PPE (-1)
      Bad Reputation (-1)
      Bloodthirsty (-2)
      Habit (Minor; Hunt or fight) (-1)
      Total Negative: -9

Comment

Originally posted by pkitty View Post
        A few thoughts. Obviously take them or leave them!
        Feel free to mess with it as much or as little as you like for your table. Showing our breakdown and reasoning was to help others adjust it to their play style.

I wonder if the Assassin edge might make more sense than No Mercy. Also, No Mercy is a seasoned edge, so it should cost 3 racial points, right? That said, I think that PEG eyeballed the PPE Vampire drawback at -3 points instead of -2. Mind you, I think having both would be better . . . and part of me wants to suggest adding even more Hindrances because lord knows the Psi-Slayer can justify them . . . but at the same time, obviously you don't want to make them unplayable.
        You're right. Missed that No Mercy is a Seasoned edge. As you suggest PPE vampire maybe undervalued so it is probably still ok (and make the Psi-Stalker balance to +2 also). Assassin is also a fine option and would balance the point costs. Personally I find assassin somewhat underwhelming, although it is nice that it include Vulnerable foes and not just the drop.

One way to fit that in is to scale back Survival to a limited bonus, since the Psi-Slayer wasn't an outdoorsman, just a tracker.
        I agree with this, and we discussed it. I went with the d6 Survival to keep a close parallel to the Psi-Stalker. In fact, it is probably wise for Rifts races to only use skill bonuses and avoid skill dice. This would avoid overlap with FG/HJ/IF die type bonuses.

And B&B allows "Habit (Minor; Hunt or fight)" for the werecat, which isn't too punishing while still driving home how they're almost addicted to killing.
        That works as well, although I was trying to keep it as close to SWADE race creation as possible for people new to the setting.

That would give:

+2 to Tracking (+1, as a limited bonus)
        AB Psionics (+2, Novice)
        Assassin (+2, Novice)
        No Mercy (+3, Seasoned)
        Psi-Dagger (+3, Seasoned)
        Total Positive: +11

Mutant (Minor) (-1)
        PPE Vampire (-3)
        Restricted Path: PPE (-1)
        Bad Reputation (-1)
        Bloodthirsty (-2)
        Habit (Minor; Hunt or fight) (-1)
        Total Negative: -9
        Also looks good! Fun thing about Savage Worlds is there are many ways to accomplish things based on style, preferences, etc.

VV

Comment

Working...
        X