Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering a CS Campaign...

Greetings all.

I am in the planning stages of a new campaign set in El Dorado area featuring a new CS unit, the Field Expeditionary Brigade (FEB), the Coalition's "answer" to the Tomorrow Legion' s SETs. These soldiers are highly trained and specialized, able to operate remotely and without oversight, with the aim of enhancing Coalition relations in the Fort El Dorado proxy. They are troubleshooters, problem solvers, and civil affairs experts.

WHO: Players are gamers experienced with Palladium Rifts but not Savage Worlds. They are taking on the role of FEB operatives, sort of the "Friendly Face" of the CS for frontier areas. Character builds will be from the Iconic Frameworks with a few limitations, and a different gear loadout for each. I am working on a new narrative hook table.

WHAT: PCs will be tasked with Civil Affairs type assignments, operating remotely in the El Dorado region. I am planning to use a couple of the Savage Rifts one sheets to start them off with, reskin them a little of course, and gradually build to the Fine Solution campaign arc. Once that campaign is resolved it will lead them to the overriding campaign objective... The Vanguard has a much greater breadth and depth of operation than anyone had thought. Thanks to their resources, and the desperation heaped on the organization by PCs interference, they are now sowing the seeds of an infernal invasion, transforming random Rifts into stable portals from a singular hellish dimension. (Not sold on Vanguard, but that is first that came to mind.) Players will need to gather allies from all Flags (linking with Tomorrow Legion especially) to oppose this new and terrible threat. Think Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion but set in Rifts Earth. I'll be using the Codex Infernus supplement quite liberally.

WHEN: PA 109.

WHERE: Arkansas/ Missouri, Infernal Realm

WHY: I have run a couple of games using the Tomorrow Legion. I love the Legion. But I want to explore more of the Coalition, especially what happens when the best of Humanity encounters some of the worst. I have always been a fan of the CS as a gray and complex villain. I believe the way I have this campaign sketched is a great way to introduce old Rifters to the fantastic new material.

I am posting because I would love feedback and ideas from savages, particularly on running CS games. It's been a LONG time (10+ years) since I have run a CS game. Plot ideas, game considerations, experiences, etc are all welcome. Only thing is that I am 100% set on having an Infernal Invasion be the catalyst for a multi-faction alliance, with CS PCs being at the center of it.

Thanks!

Over at http://savagerifts.com/sr/index.php , one of our people is running a CS Game, set in Chicago. I think you can look over the rules material in the forum here without an account: http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewforum.php?f=35 The GM is a long-time Rifter, and folks seem to be having fun with the game (I don't currently have a character in it, so can't address it directly, but HC's good at his job). He came up with several MARS variants, along with a requisitions system, and other house rules for the CS as well.

Comment

Sounds like an interesting game idea.

salcor

Comment

My advice, keep the mood in a very dark shade of grey. Tomorrow Legion is all about big damn heroes. A Coalition game shouldn't.

For example, the characters finds refugees (humans and. d-bees), but they know at least one of them is a dangerous terrorist with magical abilities. CS protocol would be to kill all D-Bees, round up the humans and give them to the Dog-Boy for a quick sniff and capture/kill anyone that triggers his supernatural sense. But they know that this isn't enough. A mage without any active powers or items will not register as magical.

If they are in the middle of nowhere, without back-up, they cannot reasonably take them all into custody. Will the players decide to kill them all, humans and D-Bees? Maybe some of them have information, but several refugees are dangerous, and killing or capturing even one of them will probably dry that source of information. Is leaving the group of Grackle Tooth alive and free worth the info they want to share? Will the CS gang keep their word? Will they be able to control the refugees or will a fight break out as soon as they start to threaten people?

Comment

Neat idea.

Originally posted by Akerbakk View Post
          I am posting because I would love feedback and ideas from savages, particularly on running CS games. It's been a LONG time (10+ years) since I have run a CS game. Plot ideas, game considerations, experiences, etc are all welcome. Only thing is that I am 100% set on having an Infernal Invasion be the catalyst for a multi-faction alliance, with CS PCs being at the center of it.
          You'll probably want to use a requisitions system of some kind, since paying for your kit feels wrong for a national military. I recall the one in Agents of Oblivion being really good, but one can be easily cobbled together. Something maybe a Persuasion or Streetwise check, or even Knowledge (Politics) for filling out the requisition forms, modified by character rank (-2 for Private, +0 for Corporal or Sergeant, +1 for company grade officer, +2 for field grade officer, +4 for general grade officer), character billet (team leader +2, second command +1, other +0), relevance to mission (SAMAS armor for sealth-recon -4, C-29 plasma cannon for seek & destroy +1), general availability (lots of C-27 in the armory, only a handful of C-29, so C-27 is much easier to get), and other miscellaneous factors (medals and citations, consistently returned gear, character Rank, schools and certifications, etc.).

Make sure to give them solid Rules of Engagement. When in doubt, they can follow the RoE. It's thematic, gives information about the command, and lays a foundation for cool conflicts and tough choices over the course of the game.
          Rescued a bunch of refugees, including some D-bees? Violation of RoE #7, and trouble if that gets included in the various reports.

Give them some developed supporting NPCs back at the base. Relationships are important for any game, and for a SpecOps team good support staff are important. Intel is the best, but supply is a close second. Lots of neat opportunities there. You might want to let each player make up an important Coalition NPC to include in the campaign, just to make the players even more invested in that aspect of the campaign (or not, depends upon the level of shared control you're comfortable with).

I've found the Megaverse in Flames and Heroes of Humanity books to be really useful for an infernal invasion "minion wars" campaign.
          I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

I think you already have a great premise! I played in a CS campaign back in college, and we eventually found out that things weren't as great as we were told and defected.... now my game is using those characters, at least 2 of them, as Legion commanders who send the SET team out on missions.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Biggest takeaway here is the requisition system... I hadn't used a SW game with that mechanic yet, however I did just purchase Weird Wars One. I think the game has a system for that. Woot!

Comment

Working...
              X