TLPG New Dog Boy Edge suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TLPG New Dog Boy Edge suggestion

After converting the archetype characters up to the new edition of SR. There is an issue with Noble the Glitter Dog Boy. The Oddly Built complication for DBs specifically states the Glitter Boy framework was not allowed due to their non-human legs. Of course in other books Like Arcane and Mysticism, Noble the Glitter Dog Boy is one of the PoV characters in the gazateer. So to keep Noble available as a archetype glitter boy I propose the following new edge.

Sean Tait Bircher hmm I propose a new background edge,

The SD Gene
    Requirements: dog boy, novice rank.
    Some dog boy Gene families are bred with a more human body shape to blend into human societies. This edge eliminates the Odd build racial complication from the Dog Boy race. However the character cannot take the Fast, tough, tracking, or water breed advantage edges due to the required genes being removed from the generic code.

Thoughts?

Salcor
    ​​

I like it, but I'd add the explicit note that it must be taken at character creation, because it doesn't make sense for your legs to suddenly "straighten out."

Also, IMO it shouldn't be a Background Edge, it should be a Breed Edge. That way it can be folded right into their racial package. Just call it "Human Breed" or something similar (I'm not sure what "SD gene" means but maybe explain and adapt that).

EDIT: Actually, "Anthro Breed" would probably be the best name for it.
    Last edited by pkitty; 11-28-2019, 03:16 PM.

Comment

SD Gene.....Scooby Doo Gene since he spends more time acting human...

Comment

• Jim1
        Jim1 commented
        Editing a comment
        In that case the Edge should include the ability to run into a dusty closet and emerge seconds later impeccably dressed as a French waiter holding a covered serving tray.

The preceding sentence says that customized armor is available at double cost. The Glitter Boy and Power Armor Jock frameworks don't specify a maximum cost for your power armor of choice, so you can just... start with a customized one?

Comment

However the last sentence says "Glitter Boy Armor (and the Iconic Framework) and most human powered armor is not an option.".

Comment

I would allow it as the free edge at creation.

Like pkitty I agree it does not make sense to happen after creation.

Comment

Concur, at character creation only. Making it a breed advantage edge makes sense as well.

Comment

Originally posted by pkitty View Post
              I like it, but I'd add the explicit note that it must be taken at character creation, because it doesn't make sense for your legs to suddenly "straighten out."
              Not to disagree with the point you're making, but all of the original art has Dog Boys with human proportioned legs and feet. I point this out because even in 1990 when I first got my copy, I was disappointed in that fact. It's not like the company didn't have corporate expertise in mutant animal art and an extensive back catalog of reference material....

Comment

• pkitty
                pkitty commented
                Editing a comment
                Fair enough, but if you're saying "the Dog Boy shouldn't have a nonstandard build to begin with," that's a different suggestion/fix completely.

IMO it's probably an even easier fix -- drop Bite damage to the more believable Str+d4 and remove "Oddly Built". Done.

(EDIT: And hilariously helping your point, the Dog Boy in the racial picture has a perfectly human-shaped build.)
                Last edited by pkitty; 11-28-2019, 03:10 PM.

• paladin2019
                paladin2019 commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, the original Kevin Long Dog Boy art was like the exemplar art in TLPG. Except for the tail, I'm not sure what really constitutes "oddly built."

I was disappointed because Kevin S. had done and had commissioned a lot of wolfen artwork for PFRPG and other works. The only reasoning I can see is to keep Dog Boys inline with TMNT's definitions for "bits" on mutant animals and the exemplar Eastman/Laird technical art; digitigrade legs denote partial bipedalism, human feets denote full biped. Rifts defines Dog Boys as usually full biped, though some are partial. However, this is purely an aesthetic choice as no Bio-E is involved.

I guess for my demos I will just use this house rule edge. I will be interested to see what PEGRoberson comes up with for the updated Archetypes.

Salcor

Comment

TBH, I like the idea of just fixing the mutants. Of the various Lone Star races in Savage Rifts, most should still have Oddly Built (due to wings, size, or other inhuman aspects), but the battle cats and dog boys should not. So here's my suggested fixes.
                • Battle Cats: Remove Oddly Built. Change Bite/Claws to just Claws*.
                • Dog Boys: Remove Oddly Built. Reduce Bite damage to the more realistic Str+d4.
                * Remember that battle cats were derived from house cats, who use their claws almost exclusively for self-defense. (Yes, your cat bites you and it hurts, but that's a "warning attack"; when it's truly scared for its life, it brings out the claws.)

Thoughts?

Comment

Couldn't a Dog Boy get standard human style bionic/cybernetic legs and call it good with respect to the lower body? Now this wouldn't fix the issues with the snout. Might have to limit your breeds to Pugs and Bulldogs type breeds.

Better route IMHO is to make them a MARS Robot Vehicle ACE. Though it sucks that Noble in the original Template Characters can no longer be GB.
                  Behold, mankind's 3rd greatest invention: Chocolate Milk!

Comment

Originally posted by paladin2019 View Post
                    Not to disagree with the point you're making, but all of the original art has Dog Boys with human proportioned legs and feet. I point this out because even in 1990 when I first got my copy, I was disappointed in that fact. It's not like the company didn't have corporate expertise in mutant animal art and an extensive back catalog of reference material....
                    Lol, right?

To the point, though, dog boy art in Lone Star clearly depicts it, as does the text. I love Kevin Long's art but I consider it all part of canon, especially the art of Wayne Breaux, Ramon Perez, etc.

Also, side note Oddly Built is also about inhumanly long snouts, weird torso and neck morphology, etc. as seen in the original Long art, not just digitigrade legs or weird limbs.
                    Sean Owen Roberson
                    Line Manager, Rifts for Savage Worlds

Comment

Also, an odd note regarding Noble being a Dog Boy...I don't know if that was always the concept. In the original Savage Rifts art files the GB art was listed as "Jean-Paul," which sounds pretty Quebecois to me. That's the direction I am going with the SWADE Archetype.
                      Sean Owen Roberson
                      Line Manager, Rifts for Savage Worlds

Comment

Working...
                      X