No announcement yet.

Simple Robot Vehicle Ace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: giant robot. Do you have appropriate minis for everything? Will having the biggest dude on the table by a full height be enough to satisfy the definition of giant?

(And if you do have an appropriate Samson mini, where'd you get it, you selfish bastiche? )

Comment

Originally posted by paladin2019 View Post
      RE: giant robot. Do you have appropriate minis for everything? Will having the biggest dude on the table by a full height be enough to satisfy the definition of giant?

(And if you do have an appropriate Samson mini, where'd you get it, you selfish bastiche? )
      I don't have any minis beyond what the players bring, sadly. Moved around over the years, so don't have a whole lot to my name. Just use tokens and geegaws when the need for minis arises.

Comment

Originally posted by Radecliffe View Post
        i have to agree with Scottbert that I'm not sure how simplified you can make a robot vehicle. Even with a simplified weapon loadout there's a lot to keep track of. Size modifiers, MAP mods (you're always going to be doing at least two actions every round), special vehicle rules. It's too bad you can't talk him into power armor. It is a whole lot simpler, especially with a suit like the Sampson. One main gun with backup mini-missiles and just remember to substitute Piloting for Athletics and your golden. You still Normal sized so no worries about scale and for the most part you're moving just like any other character does. And you're still 11 feet tall too boot which may not quite be giant but still quite large.
        Wait... Do you mean to say you're required to make a Piloting roll every round? Even for just making the dang thing walk? o.O

Sorry, that didn't click before. If I'm understanding you correctly, that friggen' sucks. :/

Comment

• Radecliffe
          Radecliffe commented
          Editing a comment
          Not every round but anytime you do a maneuver, take a wound, while in a chase scene or other similar situations. It's really not too clear just how often a piloting skill is needed so probably up to the GM.

• Scottbert
          Scottbert commented
          Editing a comment
          Just making the dang thing walk doesn't even require the Robot Jock edge, anyone can do it. Though a GM might call for a roll anyway for controlling such an unfamiliar vehicle in that case...

Originally posted by Wikrin View Post

Wait... Do you mean to say you're required to make a Piloting roll every round? Even for just making the dang thing walk? o.O

Sorry, that didn't click before. If I'm understanding you correctly, that friggen' sucks. :/
        Given that Combat Ace is a thing, I would say that yes, Piloting rolls (or at least an action dedicated to movement) are required every round the vehicle moves. Otherwise, why take the Edge?

BIG DAMN NOTE FOR ERRATA!!!! The text of the Movement paragraph and the A Matter of Coordination sidebar on the same page are in direct conflict. The main text says all aboard suffer the Running penalty, the sidebar explicitly limits it to the pilot.

Comment

• Psychonus
          Psychonus commented
          Editing a comment
          I do not think an action dedicated to movement and their by forcing a multi action to do anything are the intent of piloting giant robots. A Matter of Coordination sidebar has the pilot performing two different ranged weapon attacks, a melee attack all while running.

• mikelamroni
          mikelamroni commented
          Editing a comment
          Simple rule for Piloting is - "Would you require an Athletics roll." Would you require an Athletics roll for running, then no Piloting roll either. There are situations where you'd require an Athletics roll - running in foot sucking mud or soft sand, or through an obstacle course (think tire run). But not over flat ground. Is the ground littered by debris and people they don't want to step on? Piloting roll. Is it just a long way over there, that's no action needed unless they run (using the vehicles on the Table Top rules). Piloting is for maneuvering, not moving.

• paladin2019
          paladin2019 commented
          Editing a comment
          The example also fails to note that, per SWADE's Vehicles on the Tabletop sidebar, Jaxa didn't make a maneuvering roll to move a vehicle more than 12" (as we can assume happened because she ran and the Gunwolf's Pace is 14+d8). However, the same SWADE sidebar doesn't discuss Free Actions vs Actions like the Chase maneuvers. And maneuvers aren't directly transferable to the tabletop. SWD's simple Free Action unless you maneuver doesn't apply here (as many maneuvers can be Free Actions).

Because I'm not likely to build setpiece fights on a 4x8 for every combat, I'm almost to the point that I need to modify the Chase rules to a square format* when vehicles (or even airborne PA and jet packs) are involved. At least I'll have an idea what the intent is for Free Action vs Action....

*EDIT: Come to think of it, a Cataan deal might work, too. Watch Homebrew for more details.
          Last edited by paladin2019; 11-08-2019, 10:19 PM.

Originally posted by paladin2019 View Post
        Given that Combat Ace is a thing, I would say that yes, Piloting rolls (or at least an action dedicated to movement) are required every round the vehicle moves. Otherwise, why take the Edge?
        So that you can kick butt in combat while doing difficult maneuvers in your vehicle. This is for stuff like the fighter pilot who chases an enemy ace into a canyon and keeps shooting while narrowly avoiding the walls.

Comment

Also, note that Piloting is the skill you use to kick, punch, trample, slice, etc. In our game it gets roll against a lot in combat, and never for regular movement.

(EDIT: Okay, now it's lower of Fighting or Piloting, but IMO that still count as "a Piloting roll" for the purpose of Combat Ace.)

Comment

Reporting in. Ran No Zealot Like A Convert, mostly. Fudged some stuff for time constraints. Went fine. Robot trivialize some encounters, but that was to be expected.

He went with a Forager. He took Free Runner, because it's a Combat Edge and therefore works with Killing Machine. (I think it is super strange that that works but Brute doesn't, as an aside.) Missiles are really strong. He nabbed a Personnel Laser at the end of the session, so he could target individuals at range easier. I helped him pick skills, so he wound up with ne of the more well-rounded characters.

His dad is playing a headhunter, rolled Fame on the Fortune & Glory table. He's braggadocious (forget which Hindrance) and took Internal Life Support; I decided that meant he did not have to stop talking to breathe. Because I like the idea that he is more concerned with telling his tales uninterrupted than he was with drowning.

My niece fumbled an HE grenade while flying on a leatherwing. (She wanted a pterodactyl, but they're a lot weaker.) She was wearing Maverick Armor, so like a +3? Was sure she's fall and die. Rolled 4 damage. On 3d10. x.x

Comment

• mikelamroni
              mikelamroni commented
              Editing a comment
              hah! Can't plan for the dice! Swing big or swing small. Sounds like an awesome first session!

Worth noting: all robot vehicles (and power armour, for that matter) are equipped with the Sensor Targeting Suite (STS), that automatically negates 2 points of Range, Multi-Action, or other Shooting penalties for the crew. So even if you Maneuver and fire two weapon systems, you'll only be taking a -2 to hit on each shot. If you Maneuver once and Shoot once, or Shoot twice, no penalty (from Multi-Action at least).

Comment

Working...
            X