Houserule for Cyberlimbs in Combat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Houserule for Cyberlimbs in Combat

I was just considering a potential houserule based on a lot of pop culture involving cyberlimbs and fighting.

Cyberlimbs can be used as small shields. To do so,
    • The character must have a cybernetic system that can be trapped as a cyberarm (since defined limbs aren't part of the system).
    • The character cannot double-up; using an actual shield overrides this shield bonus, for example.
    • The character must have the cyberarm free. Fighting with a retractable vibro-blade mounted in the cyberarm would negate this option for that arm.
    Thoughts? Too crunchy or just right for FFF? Should this just negate the Unarmed Defender rule rather than giving a +1 Parry, too?

Aren't defined...yet.

Comment

I like the general idea but it does bring up some other questions.
      What's the Toughness of the limb because someone might want to target it or try to cut through (not unlikely with some Rift weapons)

Comment

I think no house rule is needed. Cyber limbs are used by characters from all walks of life, and while some of those characters are combat bad asses, plenty of them are normal people that get smashed in a fight.

When characters have metal / indestructible limbs, that's a great source of descriptions for successful Soak, Parry and Toughness. I know I've used them many, many times in the past, to positive reception.
        Originally posted by paladin2019 View Post
        I was just considering a potential houserule based on a lot of pop culture involving cyberlimbs and fighting.
        ... Should this just negate the Unarmed Defender rule rather than giving a +1 Parry, too?
        If I was going to house rule cyber limbs as super powers then I'd go with this last part. Cyber Limbs count as being armed. The +2 to hit unarmed defenders and not being an unarmed defender would cover it well, without breaking the combat rules.
        I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Originally posted by ValhallaGH View Post
          If I was going to house rule cyber limbs as super powers then I'd go with this last part. Cyber Limbs count as being armed. The +2 to hit unarmed defenders and not being an unarmed defender would cover it well, without breaking the combat rules.
          Thanks. Counts as an armed defender but no special bonuses.

Comment

If you want to port the Block Sacrifice rules from classic RIFTS, I suppose you could have the cybernetic systems take damage instead of the PC? You'd need to decide what the Toughness of cyberlimbs is, though...

Comment

• Deskepticon
              Deskepticon commented
              Editing a comment
              The Hardness of most metal objects in SWADE is between 10 - 12... but given the setting's crazy damage potential, I'd probably double that and Trap it as super-alloys.

• steelbrok
              steelbrok commented
              Editing a comment
              IIRC there's a similar edge and/or rule in the Buccaneer: through Hell or high water setting
          Working...
          X