New Framework: Ubermensch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Framework: Ubermensch

So, there's been a lot of discussion on what a superhero in Savage Rifts would look like. Some say they should just allows Super Powers from the companion, but in quite a few playtests I've seen, this can cause real issues with balance, even considering the gonzo nature of Savage Rifts. So, I've come up with something else. Bare in mind, this is VEEEERRRRRYYYYY First Draft Quality (tm) and I expect it to be ripped to pieces and people saying they hate it, etc etc. It's just something I threw together in an hour, so yeah I don't expect too much.

Ubermensch
    When the rifts opened and tore Earth asunder, it released great abilities into the world, the likes only seen in fairy tales and the big screen. One side effect that could not be counted for, however, was the innate human (or DeeBee) potential. A few rare people unlocked godlike abilities that came not from magic or pisonics, but their own inner strength given form. Given the colloq name Ubermensch (German for Super Men), these powerful men and women often spring into their power at moments of personal crisis, or, rarely, are born with their own innate potential unlocked.
    Ubermensch powers vary wildly among users. One superhuman could wield innate powers to control ice and cold, while another may have mutated into a ferocious beast with horrible claws and rapid regeneration. Their powers are hard to detect, as while Ubermensch draw upon ISP like psionicists, their powers are something else entirely, and have nearly unlimited potential. Incredible but unpredictable power, often coupled with a mental psychosis brought out by unleashing such power so quickly, leads 'normal' people to distrust and fear Ubermensch. Even in places where strange powers are commonplace, such as the Federation of Magic, often persecute superhumans simply for existing. While the Coalition does employ superhumans as vanguards, they are distrusted and often segregated from "normal" CS personnel. Thus, most Ubermensch either are loners seeking to better the world (or at least live in it), or band together in 'teams' of other superhumans, where they can find true camaraderie.

Hero's Journey (Two Rolls)
    Ubermensch gain one roll on any of the following tables: Education, Experience & Wisdom, Psionics, or Training. An ubermensch may choose from the Psionics rolls, even though they do not have psionics themselves, as the two power sources are fairly similar. Change the result of 13-15 to Extra Effort instead, however.
    They may also make a roll on any table of their choosing other than Cybernetics, Enchanted Items & Mystic Gadgets or Magic & Mysticism.

Ubermensch Abilities and Bonuses
    Ubermensch stand shoulders over most other beings in the Rift-torn Earth, their godlike powers making them far more powerful than the average man. An ubermensch's powers vary wildly between them, and seldom do two ubermensch share the same abilities.
    Arcane Background (Gifted): An Ubermensch begins with the Arcane Background (Gifted), choosing two powers of their choice, the Power Points Edge, as well as a d6 Focus skill. Ubermensch begin with 20 ISP (15 ISP base, plus 5 ISP from the Power Points Edge).
    Inherent Power: The Ubermensch considers any power chosen with the Range (self) limitation chosen as an Innate Ability. In addition, the Ubermensch may activate any number of Innate abilities with a single action, spending ISP as normal but only requiring one Focus roll to activate all their abilities. The Ubermensch must maintain all powers activated as normal, spending ISP on each ability to continue to hold onto that power individually.
    Dig In Deep: All Ubermensch begin with the Soul Burn Edge for free. Furthermore, an Ubermensch may perform Meditations, like psionics, by pulling deep from their internal reserves. This causes great stress, however; at the end of any scene the Ubermensch performs a Meditation, they immediately gain a level of Fatigue that cannot be recovered until the Ubermensch waits 24 hours and rests; powers such as relief have no effect. Fatigue caused from Soul Burn or Meditation can cause Incapacitation or even death if the ubermensch pushes himself too hard.
    Living Weapons: Ubermensch begin with Athletics and Fighting at d6, as well as the Martial Arts Edge.

Ubermensch
    Once a person's inner power is unlocked, it changes them forever, for better or worse.
    Cybernetics: Even though their powers comes from neither magic nor psionics, an Ubermensch's ability to tap into their internal potential becomes limited when cybernetics are implanted.
    Super Karma: Unlocking such great power comes at a great power. The Ubermensch begins the game with either two Minor Hindrances or one Major Hindrance at no added benefit to the character. Often this disability comes as a mental hindrance (such as Arrogant or Heroic), but can even be physical (such as Slow, or Weakness from the Super Powers Companion).
    Feared: An Ubermensches powers are often undefinable, and can terrify even people used to world-shattering mages and godlike psions. Most are persecuted just for simply living. All Ubermensch suffer a -2 Persuasion when dealing with those who fear them.

Ubermensch Starting Gear
    Begin with standard Starting Gear.

This build is a pretty big snowflake that breaks a number of rules. Gifted explicitly don't have access to Meditation or Rituals and no one gets to activate multiple powers as a free action in the same round. In fact the Cyber Knight LOST this ability from the previous edition. Not a fan of turning around and giving it to a different framework. It that half a new power edge there? Gifted start with one power so it should be one or three I would think. Personally I'd just let a player play a 4 color super (no super karma) on top of a "human" template (e.g. free novice edge) and be done. Throw in a couple HJ rolls on non-magic/non-psionic tables and it should be good.

Comment

I dunno, most Frameworks are big snowflakes that breaks a number of rules already. Crazies can go Berserk without needing to make a roll (and with the right Edge, can shoot guns too), Ley Line Walkers can choose more powers than anyone else with New Powers AND ignore Rank restrictions (to a degree) or choose powers that are not normal for magic users when gaining new powers, Mystics can use ISP to power their Miracles (and visa versa), and Technowizards can use their PPE to fuel TW gadgets (which Weird Scientists aren't suppose to do).
      I gave access to Meditation despite not normally qualifying due to the concept in comics of the superhero pushing himself to extreme efforts and making their powers go overload. Its similar breaking a rule that allows TW's to use TW gear, despite being a Weird Scientist.
      The ability to activate multiple powers at once is a concession to superheroes not needing to spend fifteen rounds activating all their powers. Colossus doesn't need to spend 2 actions to activate his Boost Strength and Protection, does he? And it gets worse when you get to DC's snowflakes' level of power. I was thinking of adding an additional hindrance, though, if you activate multiple powers at once. Remember, I came up with this pretty much late night jazzed up on too much caffeine.
      The powers thing I was iffy on. However, a couple of the existing IF's already break the New Powers rules anyway (Ley Line Walker, I'm looking at your broken gooeyness). I wasn't a fan of Gifted getting 2 powers per Edge anyway, Felt it was too fast an ascension, especially since they can choose any power in the book.

Like I said, this was just a thought experiment. And, I did mention that I did consider just using Super Powers, but, man, every game I ran that had a 4-Color hero in it, he WAY outshined everyone else. Faster and better than the Crazy/Juicer, tougher than the 'Borg, and a better blaster than the Burster. Only thing that was close to his power was the dragon in the group.

Comment

If it's a fear of raw power, why not making Ubermensch more Street Level Supers, but with a few added benefits to increase their overall utility. Something like:
        Ubermensch

The Best There Is: Ubermensch have 20 PP to buy powers from the SPC and do not use the Super Karma rule. One power may have up to 10 PP invested, no other may have more than 6 PP

No, Really, The Best: Ubermensch have a d8 Wild Die on every Trait Roll (which increases to d12 with the Master Edge), as well as the Élan and Killer Instinct Edges.

Almost Impossible to Kill: Ubermensch have to Hard to Kill and Harder to Kill Edges, and draw two cards on the Death and Defeat Table.

Cybernetics: Ubermensch may take Cybernetics, but doing so interferes with their power. Each point of Strain reduces their PP total by 1.

Hero's Journey: Make two rolls on any Table, except AB-related ones.

Supernatural: When his powers are activated, he automatically registers as a supernatural being, even if the powers themselves are covert (making them hard to use in the presence of Dog-Boys or Psi-Stalkers. When not actively using a power, he can still be detected, but with a penalty of -2.

Comment

Originally posted by magusrogue View Post
          Some say they should just allows Super Powers from the companion, but in quite a few playtests I've seen, this can cause real issues with balance, even considering the gonzo nature of Savage Rifts.
          I'm curious what you've encountered that's been so problematic. But that's just curiosity, not useful for analyzing your proposal.

Ubermensch
          Poor name choice. Too many eugenics and racist associations with the German for superman. Maybe some croatian (Nadčovjek) or polish (Nadczłowiek) or romanian (supraom) ? Something other than german.

Hero's Journey (Two Rolls)
          Odd you went to the trouble of replacing one of the entries instead of using the standard "re-roll this".

Arcane Background (Gifted): An Ubermensch begins with the Arcane Background (Gifted), choosing two powers of their choice, the Power Points Edge, as well as a d6 Focus skill. Ubermensch begin with 20 ISP (15 ISP base, plus 5 ISP from the Power Points Edge).
          So they get AB, +1 power, d6 skill, and Power Points for free. Seems okay for a framework about being gifted with super powers. Why do they only get half of a New Power edge?

Inherent Power: The Ubermensch considers any power chosen with the Range (self) limitation chosen as an Innate Ability. In addition, the Ubermensch may activate any number of Innate abilities with a single action, spending ISP as normal but only requiring one Focus roll to activate all their abilities. The Ubermensch must maintain all powers activated as normal, spending ISP on each ability to continue to hold onto that power individually.
          This is absurdly good. Absurd.
          Unlimited power activation, as a free action, with a single roll!
          Especially since Gifted automatically get all their Mega Powers.
          [QUOTE=magusrogue;n24514]Dig In Deep: All Ubermensch begin with the Soul Burn Edge for free. Furthermore, an Ubermensch may perform Meditations, like psionics, by pulling deep from their internal reserves. This causes great stress, however; at the end of any scene the Ubermensch performs a Meditation, they immediately gain a level of Fatigue that cannot be recovered until the Ubermensch waits 24 hours and rests; powers such as relief have no effect. Fatigue caused from Soul Burn or Meditation can cause Incapacitation or even death if the ubermensch pushes himself too hard.[quote]
          How long a rest to recover the Fatigue? It's clear I have to waste 24 hours before I can take that rest, but how long is the rest?
          With those restrictions, I don't expect to see either of these used outside of a Blaze of Glory. Or possibly a strategic Meditation that wipes out a base at least two days away. So, "interesting" but not actually useful.
          Living Weapons: Ubermensch begin with Athletics and Fighting at d6, as well as the Martial Arts Edge.
          Three free die types and an edge. Not bad, not great.

Cybernetics: Even though their powers comes from neither magic nor psionics, an Ubermensch's ability to tap into their internal potential becomes limited when cybernetics are implanted.
          This implies that there is a third kind of mystical power. Not magic (which includes divine), not psionics, but whatever it is that makes these supers superior. That's a heck of a narrative change to the setting for one framework to impose.
          Super Karma: Unlocking such great power comes at a great power. The Ubermensch begins the game with either two Minor Hindrances or one Major Hindrance at no added benefit to the character. Often this disability comes as a mental hindrance (such as Arrogant or Heroic), but can even be physical (such as Slow, or Weakness from the Super Powers Companion).
          By referencing the SPC you've violated one of your premises. Cut that part.
          Feared: An Ubermensches powers are often undefinable, and can terrify even people used to world-shattering mages and godlike psions. Most are persecuted just for simply living. All Ubermensch suffer a -2 Persuasion when dealing with those who fear them.
          Sounds like pretty much everyone is afraid.
          It's not even that these guys have tons of power. It's that they're able to do lots of weird stuff that changes encounters.
          Which is pretty much what I expect to have been the problem with SPC supers. So I'm not sure how this framework addresses your concerns about SPC material.
          I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

• Scottbert
            Scottbert commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by ValhallaGH View Post
            I'm curious what you've encountered that's been so problematic. But that's just curiosity, not useful for analyzing your proposal.

Poor name choice. Too many eugenics and racist associations with the German for superman. Maybe some croatian (Nadčovjek) or polish (Nadczłowiek) or romanian (supraom) ? Something other than german.
            What's wrong with "Superhero"? It doesn't conflict with anything in RIFTS.
            Alternatively, perhaps you could call it... the Unlimited

• ValhallaGH
            ValhallaGH commented
            Editing a comment
            Scottbert I'm guessing magusrogue is wanting to avoid some expectation baggage that comes with using Superhero, Supervillain, or just Super.

• magusrogue
            magusrogue commented
            Editing a comment
            Vallhalla hit it on the nail. Sides, superhero is just.... blah.... wanted something more evocative.
        Working...
        X