Fast Regeneration and regrowing lost limbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fast Regeneration and regrowing lost limbs

If a character with Fast Regeneration loses a limb in combat, how quickly does it make sense for it to grow back? Does it grow back as all the Wounds heal, or would it take longer?

Most sections that talk about regenerating limbs seem to say when the wounds are gone.

Comment

Actually correction. You may want to check Pg 19 of Savage Worlds Swade, where it talks about regeneration as one of the racial build options.

Comment

Originally posted by Maelgwyn View Post
        Actually correction. You may want to check Pg 19 of Savage Worlds Swade, where it talks about regeneration as one of the racial build options.
        Which says that one all wounds are healed a species that invested one more point in creation of their regeneration would be able to attempt to heal a permanent wound.
        So if the healing roll failed, then you have to wait another week to try again.

Basically because it is racially specific.... If creating a race, this is something you really want to consider.

Werewolves and Trolls both have Regeneration but also this carries with it a sensativity. Theoretically a Werewolf could regrow an arm very easily based on what most movies make that out to be. Where a Troll might only recover wounds and not regrow limbs. But additionally if the Werewolf had its arm cut off by a silver weapon the wounds would heal more slowly and the arm might never grow back.

So really the answer has to be in the Species, and how much was invested into its re-generation powers. What happened to cause the injury in the first place?
        (If the character was born that way, then there was never a limb to regenerate to begin with) As well as the 'logical' likely hood that it is even 'probable' this injury is recoverable in that way.

However if you mean the regeneration of wounds from the "Fast Healer" Edge.... there is no indication it regenerates limbs at all. (I doubt you meant that but I thought it important to point out)

Comment

Originally posted by Jim1 View Post
          If a character with Fast Regeneration loses a limb in combat, how quickly does it make sense for it to grow back? Does it grow back as all the Wounds heal, or would it take longer?
          Depends.
          The Fast Regeneration ability doesn't specify at all.
          The only things in the core rules with Fast Regeneration are the Troll and Werewolf. Neither of which specify.
          So, the GM has to choose whatever makes the most sense for the creature, lore, and trapping of Fast Regeneration.

Personally, I usually have it take 1d6 hours to regrow a limb.
          Lop off a troll's sword arm and it's probably going to run away to heal before coming back in a half-day or so to get revenge with it's newly grown arm.
          For vampires and werewolves it might be a few days (see the 1998 vampire documentary with Wesley Snipes).
          I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

So a Dragon, with Regeneration and Faster Regeneration, and a healer nearby, could grow an arm back in minutes.

Comment

• Ndreare
              Ndreare commented
              Editing a comment
              Seconds really. For example if the Dragon takes 4 wounds and his arm is cut off.

He rolls vigor on round 1 and restores a wound (removes incapasitation) , on round two he rolls a raise and restores 2 (1 left). Then on round three he rolls and fails. Bummer really, he had a lot going on. But come round four he roll and boom is fully healed. Now it is round five and he is rolling for that limb.

This means you went from incapacitated and missing a limb to good as new in 30 second.

PS: I have a dragon PC with d12 vigor and Fast Regeneration, but this has never come up. I do have a super with d12+6 vigor, faster regeneration and Harder to Kill who is normally good as new in 12 seconds.

• DarkFlite
              DarkFlite commented
              Editing a comment
              Ndreare, the Dragon in question was in human form and took a "Called shot, arm" while he was pinned. So he never even really went to Incap in our case. It wasn't caused by excessive wounds - just an overly helpful Mind Melter who doesn't get to use his Psi-Blade very often.

• Ndreare
              Ndreare commented
              Editing a comment
              lol

This isn't an official rules-tight answer, but I would suggest that if the GM decides a monster with Fast Regeneration can regrow lost limbs—a troll losing limbs to fire damage might not—then use the rules on page 19 listed under the Fast Regeneration positive racial ability. There are some Bestiary abilities and Racial abilities that reference each other (like Natural Weapons), so that is my reasoning for doing so.
            Sean Owen Roberson
            Line Editor, Rifts for Savage Worlds

Comment

Working...
            X