Question on the Flame Wind Dragon Hatchling Claws/Bite attack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on the Flame Wind Dragon Hatchling Claws/Bite attack

Does this count at one attack for Str+3d6 AP 4, Mega Damage total? or does the Dragon get to attack an enemy for claw (Str+3d6 AP 4, Mega Damage), claw (Str+3d6 AP 4, Mega Damage), Bite (Str+3d6 AP 4, Mega Damage)? IF so does each attack get the multiattack rule applied to it (Off-hand attack, etc).

Thanks for your help!

The damage listed is for each attack. A dragon normally has two front paws and can attack with both of them, as well as with its jaws.

The answer varies slightly depending on which edition of the rules you are using.

In Deluxe Edition, you can make one primary claw attack, one off-hand claw attack and a bite. Each attack is resolved separately---with a -4 multiple Action penalty---and uses the listed damage. The off-hand also receives its normal -2 penalty. The base penalties for making a prime claw/offhand claw/bite is -4/-6/-4 respectively. Note that other modifiers may alter these values positively or negatively, and additional actions (such as Intimidating with a roar) continue to apply a MAP.

In Adventure Edition you are capped at just three Actions per turn, but you can repeat Actions as well. That means that while the above sequence is entirely possible, you can also choose to make three primary claw attacks instead (at a -4 MAP to each attack).

Comment

• Freemage
      Freemage commented
      Editing a comment
      Building on this a little, in SWADE, there's no advantage to switching your attack sources, UNLESS you have Two-Fisted, which can negate two points of penalties across the board.

Now, one thing I'm not sure of if Deskepticon has the right of it (I'm going to ask) is if the Bite attack does or doesn't count as an 'off-hand' attack, as well (making the baseline penalty -4/-6/-6).

Almost does not seem worth it taking all of those minus and I wonder if most people realize that they need to make sure that their dragons are adjusting.

Comment

Freemage I think you may be right. I do seem to recall an old Archive thread where Clint said bites were "offhand" if the primary hand is also acting. A bite could be declared the 'primary' but without Ambidextrous any other attack would be "offhand". At least that's how I *think* it went. Either way, the baseline would be -4/-6/-6.
      Good Catch!

Originally posted by Rastildious View Post
      Almost does not seem worth it taking all of those minus and I wonder if most people realize that they need to make sure that their dragons are adjusting.
      That's just the nature of the system though: if you want to do multiple things, you accrue the MAP. That's why the system offers several Edges designed to mitigate the penalties. Ambidextrous + Two-Fisted (SWD) would drop the above baseline to -2/-2/-4 ... unless the GM is generous and allows Ambidex to apply to the bite as well, in which case: -2/-2/-2.

Comment

• Deskepticon
        Deskepticon commented
        Editing a comment

• PEGRoberson
        PEGRoberson commented
        Editing a comment
        Pretty sure that doesn't apply to the action economy of SWADE, but that is more of a SWADE question and not a Savage Rifts question so I am not the final arbiter. I would treat Clint's response as specific to Deluxe edition.

• Deskepticon
        Deskepticon commented
        Editing a comment
        PEGRoberson Yep! Thanks! My original response (#2 above) addressed both versions since it's unclear which the OP was referencing. This whole "offhand bite" thing is tangential.
    Working...
    X