Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Mini Railgun

Hi,

Is it possible for a starting SR character to dual wield mini rail guns? Maybe with an extra set of arms? Thank you

Sure, I'd allow it with extra arms. Be a heavy ammo expenditure though!

We had a cyborg using a plasma ejector and mini rail gun combo the other night.

VV

Comment

I think the only tricky bit would be acquiring the second gun. I think the only way to do it without relying on an HJ roll is with the MARS Merc. (At 50K, they're beyond even Filthy Rich starting funds)

Comment

Any critter Size 0 with four arms, or Size 1 with two arms, with Str d12+1 or more, should be able to dual wield vehicular mini-rail guns (Mod 1). Unless there's an unlisted change removing the ability to use vehicular weapons as personal weapons.
        I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Originally posted by Freemage View Post
          I think the only tricky bit would be acquiring the second gun. I think the only way to do it without relying on an HJ roll is with the MARS Merc. (At 50K, they're beyond even Filthy Rich starting funds)
          Can the Merc do it cause he gets to start with two personal weapons? Are they considered vehicle weapons though and not eligible?

Sorry just curious, playing my first SR game this weekend and trying to make a character.

Comment

• PEGRoberson
            PEGRoberson commented
            Editing a comment
            You are correct, Mini-Rail Guns are Vehicle Weapons, not Personal Weapons.

• Radecliffe
            Radecliffe commented
            Editing a comment
            There are still the infantry mini rail guns.

Originally posted by Freemage View Post

If you have a moment can you clarify how the Merc can get two? Thank you

Comment

• Freemage
            Freemage commented
            Editing a comment
            "Select any two weapons of choice
            from Close Combat and/or Ranged
            Weapons—Personal. If one of the
            choices is grenades, take an assortment
            of eight of any type"

D'oh! I was thinking of the TX-50 Light Railgun, not the Minigun from Vehicular Railguns.

As far as I know, the only way to get Multiple miniguns (at creation) is to take an RA Pilot, PA Pilot or Operator with an ATV, then strip the weapons off your ride. I can see a situation where the Operator might go there, if they had the Size and Strength to carry them. It would be very foolish for the RA or PA Pilots to do the same. So, the only route I see to be able to dual-wield the things at Creation is:

Grackletooth Operator (Starts with an ATV with 2 Miniguns and maybe a mini-missile launcher for the fifth Mod Slot)
            Since he starts at S1, he can take Strength twice as part of his four free Advances. That means he needs to drop two Attributes to d4, so he can have a starting Strength of d12 before Advances. Let's say he takes Smarts and Vigor (at least he still ends up with a Vigor d6).

The other option is a Brawny Human Operator (we'll ignore custom races for right now) with Filthy Rich, and some lucky rolls on the Cybernetics table (so he can get to Strength d12+2). He'll need at least two levels of Strength Augmentation to get there; additional levels mean some of his other Attributes won't have to be horrible.

Both characters, unfortunately, have no route to getting to actual Light Railguns in play--the Human can't make the jump to Size +2, and the Grackle is capped at Strength d12+2 and can't get cybernetics. Also, you'll want to dump every Skill Point you have into Shooting, because your Agility is going to be lousy and raising the Skill later on will be even more painful.

EDIT: Others have noted that even at d12+2, you're over your Load Limit, so the Grackletooth is going to be Encumbered, taking a -1 to all Agility-based rolls (including, of course, Shooting). The cybernetic human might get to Strength d12+3, with a Load Limit of 500, enough to carry around two 200-lb weapons. (The Mod 1 = 100 lbs and x2 for every +1 Mod slot after that is noted in the Vehicular Weapons section of the TLPG, too.)
            Last edited by Freemage; 05-21-2019, 05:50 AM.

Pretty sure they are also 200 lbs each so that would be 400 lbs in main weapons alone. You would not only need to be Size +1, but you would need d12+4 strength.

EDIT:Nope, weight is not listed. Funny, I thought I saw weight somewhere. I must have imagined it.
          Last edited by Ndreare; 05-21-2019, 03:52 AM.

Comment

• Radecliffe
            Radecliffe commented
            Editing a comment
            In SWD it's 100 for Mod 1 and double it for each +1 mod. pg. 91

• Ndreare
            Ndreare commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Radecliffe

Not quite up to the vehicular mini rail gun but they are quite a bit lighter. And they count as personal weapons.

WEAPON NAME RANGE MEGA DAMAGE ROF AP SHOTS MIN STR WEIGHT CREDITS
          NG-303 Infantry Mini-Rail Gun 30/60/120 2d8+2 3 4 20 d10 40 68,000
          TX-50 Light Rail Gun 50/100/200 2d8+3 3 5 20 d12 70 50,000

Comment

Working...
          X