No announcement yet.

No Power Points in Savage Rifts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think I've ever had a battle run long enough for maintenance costs to matter...

Comment

I did it, played for about 9 months and had 0 issues or problems.
      No other house rules or patches needed. Just said "We are using the no Power points rules for this game".

Comment

Originally posted by Ndreare View Post
        No other house rules or patches needed. Just said "We are using the no Power points rules for this game".
        So what did you do with TW gear?
        Were you using Akerbakk's system or the option in the Core Rules?

More data that "Did that, went fine," would be appreciated.
        I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

We just used the Rules As Written in the Savage Worlds Deluxe.

Activating a power inflicted a casting penalty equal to half the power point cost.

Same for TW gear.

​​​​​​However come to think of it, I did Fiat that Ley Lines removed -1 in casting penalty and Nexus removed -2. So that was an extra rule.

Comment

We just used the Rules As Written in the Savage Worlds Deluxe.

Activating a power inflicted a casting penalty equal to half the power point cost.

Same for TW gear.

​​​​​​However come to think of it, I did Fiat that Ley Lines removed -1 in casting penalty and Nexus removed -2. So that was an extra rule.
            How did you handle Major Psionics near ley lines? And did you swap out the included Rapid Recharge Edge from the Iconic Frameworks that started with it?

Comment

• Ndreare
              Ndreare commented
              Editing a comment
              No, I did not swap out Read recharge or the assumed extra Power points provided.

The character with Psionics still could take advantage of the Range buff almost every time he used his power. (The hide behind cover type). But the skill buff never came up, I guess the player and I just assumed it was not practical in the NPP system.

How did you find using the rule with mega powers with the greater negative DMs?

Comment

It made the players use them much less often.

A character would only try the mega version of spells if their normal versions failed.

Comment

Hardly seems in the spirit of the setting...

Comment

Originally posted by Café Truck View Post
                  As a player, one thing that would intrigue me about your system is the ability to maintain a power indefinitely in exchange for taking a penalty to arcane skill. That would make it easier for a druid-style character to maintain an animal form via shape change, for example, or an invisible thief to stay invisible the whole time she is sneaking around a building or enemy camp.
                  The flipside of this is that it's very easy to lose spells. Constantly rolling Smarts every time you get Shaken to keep your spells up is going to erode your benny pool quickly, especially if you're not a Smarts-based caster (AB: Miracles gets screwed on this front, for instance).

Comment

What about all the bonuses that LLW's and other casters get on a ley line. This seems a pretty big hit to both their power and their coolness factor. OTOH it does seem to drag other power users down to the Mind Melter's level a bit. It also seems to make Major Psionic a complete waste of an edge.

Comment

UPDATE: I finished my campaign recently. I used No Power Points for 2 sessions before switching to PP as written. The increased chance for failure on spellcasting works for some setting (Hellfrost in particular) where you have a dark and desperate feel. It doesn't work for the over-the-top awesome-sauce that is Rifts. I ended up purchasing a set of d10s and had players use two as counters for PP. Worked very well.

Thanks to all for comments. Maybe someone else might have luck with the No PP rule.

Comment

What about using a variation of the Ammo Rules for Allies? Instead of tracking power points why not draw a card after combat. They start out at Full, High, Low, or Out. One a 5 or lower their level drops by one. On a Club, the spellcasters are lose two levels of PPE/ISP (unless they didn't use powers at all during the battle). This way replensihing their energy is a matter of story instead of bean counting.

Comment

Regarding tracking maintained powers and when they start costing, what about having the character add boxes to their sheet per power to tick off (or cover with counters of some sort) to quickly track current state?

Comment

I am thinking about using No Power Points for non-TW enchanted items, like rune weapons and so forth. Since those are solely GM rewards, they'll remain fairly rare, but useful for the character who has no ability to tap TW items.

Comment

Originally posted by Freemage View Post
                              I am thinking about using No Power Points for non-TW enchanted items, like rune weapons and so forth. Since those are solely GM rewards, they'll remain fairly rare, but useful for the character who has no ability to tap TW items.
                              I've had a few such items show up in my campaign. They've all followed their own, unique, rules, but my general guideline has been to run them like magic items from the Fantasy Companion if they're supposed to be usable by everyone. That's been really successful.
                              I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Working...
                              X