Using Magic spells and items from the companion in Rifts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Magic spells and items from the companion in Rifts

I'm curious about whether GMs have been using any magic items or spells from the Companion in their Rifts games?

If you are using items, how have you integrated them? As far as I can see the companion items seem to work differently to TW items, not requiring power points to activate, and not requiring an arcane background to activate either? I'm thinking here of things like a magic sword, a scroll or potion, or maybe a magic ring. Do you just use them as is along side the TW devices, or do you convert them over somehow?

Maelgwyn

I assume you're referring to the Fantasy Companion. If that's not the case, please correct me.
    I've used magic items rarely, but they work fine along side TW devices. They do work differently, and they're generally of a significantly lower power level, but they work fine.

If you give items access to Mega Powers and the ability to deal Mega Damage then they can solidly compete with TW equivalents.

I haven't bothered with the FC powers. I've never found them particularly interesting and saw no reason to try and import them. But that's personal preference, not design logic.
    I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

You don't find the Fantasy Companion items overpowered compared to the TW devices without the requirement for an Arcane Background to activate? I know some of my non arcane players would certainly love some of the buffs, and they have given me the sulky look about not being able to use some of the TW devices. I think it is the many years of D&D background that spoils our expectations for even the brawny meat shield to be able to pick up the occasional magical item.

Comment

Nope. No more overpowered than any static bonus in Savage Worlds. Which is still absurdly powerful.

The FC items come in three grades: Artificer, Minor Artifacts, Major Artifacts.
        Artificer items grant a static bonus and don't require a roll. They're generally as powerful as an additional Advance.
        Minor Artifacts require an arcane roll using the item's arcane skill (d8 Wild Card unless noted otherwise). They have their own PP pool, 10 points, that recharges at its own rate.
        Major Artifacts are the most powerful, combining both Artificer and Minor Artifact abilities into one item. Further, they generally don't require rolls to activate. They are generally unique relics with their own stories, backgrounds, and plot lines. Using one of these needs to be thought out ahead of time.

Artificer items and Minor Artifacts can be used easily. Don't make them common - there are reasons most folks on Rifts earth think all magic items are TW items - but you can use them without serious concerns.
        Major Artifacts are a lot more powerful, and should have their own plots. Be careful if you choose to use these - if you're going to use them then you should use them well.
        I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Working...
        X