Favorite Superhero RPG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Superhero RPG

While I have not played a Savage Worlds Superhero RPG yet, superhero RPGs are my jams. My favorite of all time is the now out of print DC Heroes RPG by Mayfair, and then Blood of Heroes when DCH was sold to Pulsar Games. I don't think there will ever be a system I loved as much as that one. So tell me, what are your favorite Superhero RPGs?

Gurps Supers, Fate Accelerated, Mutants and Masterminds, Champions, Abberant, i like the system for paragons and prowlers, though i haven't had a chance to actually play it. not necessarily in that order, though. i am looking forward to the new version of supers in SW.

Comment

• ack
      ack commented
      Editing a comment
      While a superhero campaign isn't on the horizon for either of my groups, I also can't wait to roll up some superhero characters.

For a gritty realism and exploration of the superheroic reality, Aberrant and Amp (Both are surprisingly similar in theme)

For the originality of the game system, Marvel Saga. You know, the one with the cards instead of dice.

Comment

• ack
      ack commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm going to have to check those games out!

• dentris
      dentris commented
      Editing a comment
      ack Marvel Saga is decades old and out of print. I think you can find print and play documents somewhere.

There is a new edition of Aberrant by Onyx Path Publishing.Not sure if it's out yet.
      Amp: Year One is available in PDF and in print on drivethru

• The Stray
      The Stray commented
      Editing a comment
      dentris The new Aberrant edition is, in fact, out now.

Classic Marvel FASERIP is my go-to system.
    Second would be the Mayfair DC (all three editions). Followed by M&M.

Comment

GODLIKE - gritty supers in WWII. The book is sitting on my shelf, never played nor run. It begs to be savaged one day...
      GODLIKE: Superhero Roleplaying in a World on Fire, 1936-1946 - “Godlike in their abilities, let us hope this new breed of man will carry the burden of a suffering world to our ultim

Comment

Champions is my fave Superhero system by a large margin. I will say the SPC rules do come in second place in my book. Gurps supers is ok though the version I played was too easily broken. That was decades ago though.

Comment

• JmOz01
          JmOz01 commented
          Editing a comment
          Champions was my favorite for a long time. However, after some drama on their boards I cannot support them anymore

Interesting. Rad you use SPC rules to run Superhero games?

And JmOz I'm sorry to hear that.

Comment

Savage Worlds is my current favorite. It runs fast, it's easy to tinker with, and I don't have to teach a new system.

Before that, DC Heroes (later to become Blood of Heroes) was my go-to system. It's definitely showing its age--the resolution charts; lengthy character creation--but the depth of published material and fan support is incredible.

I remember having a good time with Marvel Superheroes a long time ago, too.
          Last edited by smcc360; 10-15-2021, 02:19 PM.

Comment

• JmOz01
            JmOz01 commented
            Editing a comment
            Marvel FACERIP?

Yep, the one from the mid-80s.

Comment

Savage Worlds is my favorite. My second favorite, even though it is limited in scope, is Masks. It really captures teen superhero drama so well.

Comment

Working...
            X