Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting the heathens

Savage Worlds related, I promise.

Monday night I was playing at D&D Adventure League when the organizer voiced some serious misgivings about the season 9 rules changes. He proposed opening the group to different games and was looking for gms.

I looked around at my table and offered to run Savage Worlds for them. I got some non-commital shrugs. None of them had heard of the system.

”We could do any intro adventure with pregens so you can learn the system. Maybe Rocket Nazis on the Orient Express.”

”What?!”

”Rocket...Nazis...”

”WE WILL DO THIS!”

An adventure title can really do wonders.

You had me checked the rule changes out of curiosity...

Back to the topic at hand, congrats for the potential new converts.

Comment

Now, that's an elevator pitch!
      History teaches us that men behave wisely, once they've exhausted all other alternatives.
      - Hughie, "Still Crazy"

Comment

So here's how the adventure went... [Don't read if you want to avoid spoilers for Rocket Nazis on the Orient Express]
        So I had three players that had only ever played D&D at my table. The table next to us was the rest of the D&D Adventurer's League group playing a homebrew.
        It was easy to get the players into the swing. They got a quick grasp of Wild Dice and spent their bennies often. They really got into the chase scene which only lasted one round. One of my players decided to anger the monkeys in a zoo to try and get them to throw poo at the nazi car (which he succeeded in doing) while another player shot the Nazi driver. Dice exploded, Savage Worlds happened.

Next, on the train they split up to search for Davenport. Amelia stayed in the dining car. When the Nazis attacked, she was taken hostage. The player actually surrendered when looking at the odds against her. Benny!

The other three heroes were in the luggage car trying to find Davenport's equipment when two rocket Nazis came in through the rear of the train. The first player decided to pull down as much luggage as he could to create cover. The players were thinking outside of D&D! It was great!

Amelia stands up and identifies herself as Davenport, succeeding in her bluff with exploding dice. The Nazis figured their intelligence must have a typo and they try to take her, but the other heroes (after finding Davenport) storm the restaurant car to save Amelia (one of the heroes decided to travel across the roof of the train). The first shot strikes Von Stosser, dealing a wound. He shouts for his men to grab the girl as he bugs out on his rocket pack with two other nazi soldiers.

Brent, on top of the train, goes next and decides to jump on Von Stosser. Dice explode, he gets von Stosser in a choke hold, then noticed the big red button that either says "cream pastry" or "release" in german. He hits the button releasing Von Strosser to the cold depths of the Alps, makes an Agility roll -4 to hold on to the jetpack, and makes a piloting roll -4 to land back into the restaurant car. Benny!

Amelia fights back against her attackers with help from Jimmy.The three manage to kill the remaining Nazis. As they loo out, they see other rocket Nazis leaving from the bridge below them. The heroes realize there is a bomb. Unfortunately, only Brent flies down to search for the bombs. Amelia and Jimmy head to the locomotive engine to try and get the train off of the bridge (and succeed). Brent barely makes his rolls in time to yank the bomb off the bridge and throw it away (he failed to determine if the bomb was booby trapped and spent all of his bennies trying). He figured he was dead at that point, but no booby traps.

They enter the castle, survive the traps, and find Von Stosser's office. Jimmy falls to the gas and the other heroes have Davenport fly Jimmy out of the room before the Nazis attack. Another surrender! Bennies all around!

The heroes escape the death trap ad head for the jet BUT CUT THE WRONG WIRE. Now everyone has a wound (Jimmy has 2). They steal more rocket packs and head back for the Orient Express.

Amelia Lands on the train at the locomotive and disarms the booby trapped engine. Brent tries to drop Jimmy next to her but Jimmy spends all of his bennies and fails to stick the landing or the last chance garb for the railing. The train runs Jimmy over. He's dead.

Amelia disconnects the locomotive from the rest of the train and jumps to the kitchen car, making her way to the restaurant car to help Brent. Brent attacks the Nazis with Amelia's help. Jimmy's player is now playing Davenport. The remaining train cars are slowing as the final Nazi drops.

Then Brent hears the rocket engines sputter to life in the baggage car. The remaining train is now rocketing toward the locomotive with a whole lot of explosives on board. The heroes make their Agility rolls to leap to safety, taking a wound here and there as the train collides with itself and explodes. Our heroes win, with only Jimmy as the casualty.

Afterword, all of the D&D players came by to figure out what the heck we were playing. It was a blast. All of my players want more, and those who couldn't be at my table want to sign up for the next time I run Rocket Nazis.

Oorah!

Comment

Awesome! I mean, how can you NOT get excited about beating up Rocket Nazis?!?!
          Jeffrey...
          Left is Death!

Comment

Working...
          X