• Show
Clear All

• Donald Schepis
    replied
    Greater Darkvision > True Darkness > Darkvision > Darkness

Leave a comment:

• redcap57
    replied
    Sorry, I am not sure what you mean. I did not say Darkness using the True Darkness Power Modifier. As the spell of Light/Darkness reads, Darkvision should see through it (magical Darkness WITHOUT the True Darkness Power Modifier) even with a Raise. I just don't understand how Greater Darkvision is better than just plain Darkvision.
    Last edited by redcap57; 09-19-2021, 08:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ndreare
    commented on 's reply
    Look at the 2nd to the last paragraph on page 189 on the left hand column.
    The modifier for magical darkness that makes it a fact darkvision.

It is the modifier he referenced above. It specifically says it affects dark vision. But greater dark vision has a trump on that saying it specifically can see through magical darkness.

• redcap57
    replied
    Originally posted by Ndreare View Post

Yes, his original answer was correct in that it specifically states it sees through Magical Darkness. This is distinctly different that Darkvision (such as on the Half Orc) that does not see through magical darkness.

It does not seem like much, but it has come up in a game where my character has the ability and I think the effect is worth its weight in gold.
    Uh what? Magical Darkness does not affect anything with Darkvision unless the spellcaster got a Raise. Creatures with Darkvision can see just fine for 20 yards without illumination. I have not found it noted anywhere that Darkvision cannot see through magical Darkness, please let me know where you found the info, thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Ndreare
    replied
    Originally posted by redcap57 View Post
    The Prestige Edge of Shadowdancer (PFSW p80) grants an ability called "Greater Darkvision" which seems to mirror the monster ability called "Darkvision" PFSW Bestiary p6. Is this actually the same ability with the "Greater" just added as flavor text, or is there actually some advantage to it that normal "Darkvision" does not have?
    Yes, his original answer was correct in that it specifically states it sees through Magical Darkness. This is distinctly different that Darkvision (such as on the Half Orc) that does not see through magical darkness.

It does not seem like much, but it has come up in a game where my character has the ability and I think the effect is worth its weight in gold.

Leave a comment:

• redcap57
    replied
    No opposition on this, but it doesn't answer the original question...

Leave a comment:

• WolfBorg05
    replied
    Now I'm just guessing, I also would like an official ruling for this.
    I am guessing that with Greater Darkvision, the creature would be able to ignore penalties for Illumination when the Epic Power Modifier to Light/Darkness is used *TRUE DARKNESS (+2): The darkness blocks Infravison, Low Light Vision, and Darkvision. It has no effect on magical sight such as detect arcana.

Leave a comment:

• redcap57
    replied
    So how is "magical" darkness different for Darkvision than "normal" darkness? Darkvision does not rely on ANY illumination, therefore should be able to see through ANY Darkness spell. A Darkness spell is literally described as making an area Dark (-4 to visibility), or with a Raise, Pitch Dark (-6 to visibility). Neither of those should have an effect on anyone with Darkvision.

Leave a comment:

• WolfBorg05
    replied
    In the summary section it states:
    Greater Darkvision: See in pitch or magical darkness.
    The Greater version allows you to see in both natural darkness and magical darkness.

Leave a comment:

• redcap57
    started a topic Darkvision vs. Greater Darkvision

Darkvision vs. Greater Darkvision

The Prestige Edge of Shadowdancer (PFSW p80) grants an ability called "Greater Darkvision" which seems to mirror the monster ability called "Darkvision" PFSW Bestiary p6. Is this actually the same ability with the "Greater" just added as flavor text, or is there actually some advantage to it that normal "Darkvision" does not have?
Working...
X