Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ndreare
    commented on 's reply
    It is only d6 (The dragon in Rifts is like this). If you want a greater die type you need an edge, and for flight in particular you need GM permission to fiat an edge applying.

An example of this is in a game being run by Freemage I was allowed to take Fleetwinged and apply the Fleet footed trapping to my character flight when she was in a winged form.

• SteelDraco
    replied
    Huh. SWADE doesn't normally record a creature's running die. If a creature has a high Fly speed (say 20") do they only get a d6 extra from running or are we supposed to bump the "running die" for Fly speeds like we bump the running die for normal Pace?

Leave a comment:

• Dogfisc
    replied
    This was just given an official answer: it’s walk or fly, and you can “run” when flying. As GM, assuming the character had the same pace for each, I’d allow them to mix and match but not add (so they could run 4” to the edge of cliff, jump off, and fly 2” out).
    https://www.pegforum.com/forum/savag...53922-fly-pace

Leave a comment:

• Deskepticon
    commented on 's reply
    redcap57 Well, that's true of anytime you increase Pace with a Run die. But just like "legging it" on the ground, if the only thing you are doing is flying, that -2 doesn't become an issue.

• redcap57
    commented on 's reply
    Ya, it gets weird with different Paces. It does allow for Flying characters to "Hustle" to increase their Flying Pace, but at a cost of -2 to their Skill rolls.

• Deskepticon
    commented on 's reply
    redcap57 Walking and running do not "stack." Running is simply a means to increase Pace. Any character can describe their movement as a "run", but as long as it's under 6" it does not count as a run. Honestly, PEG should have just renamed it Hustle to avoid all this confusion, since "running" can be used with swimming, climbing, crawling, flying, and any other form of movement.

• Deskepticon
    commented on 's reply
    redcap57 Yup!
    Flight is mainly a narrative mechanic. It can replace jumping, climbing, or swimming simply by virtue of "flying" past the obstacle. As long as you don't exceed your basic Pace, you can certainly break-up movement in the way you described.

Note that a higher Flight Pace allows you to move further, but only in that medium, and only by the difference in Pace. So Flight 12" would allow someone to walk 3", fly 6", then walk another 3". They also cannot fly more than 9" if they walked 3" first.

• redcap57
    commented on 's reply
    Walking and Running stacks. Why can't Walking and Flying? I would accept taking a -2 to Skill Rolls might be taken if a character exceeds their normal Pace (just like Running normally does).

• Deskepticon
    replied
    Originally posted by redcap57 View Post
    PFSW says Bloodline of Elemental (Air) Sorcerors have a Flying Pace of 6. Is that an addition to their regular Pace? As in, could she walk 6 and then Fly at ground level an additional 6?
    Nope.

Think of Pace as a singular mechanic. It is an abstract representation of how far you can move in a round (i.e., distance-over-time). Regardless of how you move, you can only move a certain distance each round (normally 6" plus a Run die). Flying is just an alternate form of movement---just like crawling, climbing, or swimming. If you fly a distance of 6", then that takes away from your overall Pace. You cannot land and move ANOTHER 6" as that exceeds your movement cap.

A character with a basic Pace of 6" and Flight 6" can walk 3" and fly another 3" ... or walk 1" and fly 5" ... or any combination that totals their basic Pace. Just like if the character walked 2" into a lake and began swimming, they'd only be able to move another 2" (instead of 4) because of the conversion rate while swimming. Having a Swim (or Flight) Pace merely changes the conversion rate.

Since moving and attacking can be broken up this way, is the same true for moving on the ground and Flying?
    That's apples and oranges.
    As mentioned above, ANY form of movement is covered by the singular mechanic of Pace. There are individual rules for certain types of movement (like using up 2" for each 1" moved), but everything still draws from the same pool. Flight is no different. If a character has a Flight Pace of 6", that just means they are not penalized for flying, like they would be while crawling or climbing.

A character can certainly "break up" their form of movement (as I mentioned above), but they cannot increase their Pace by doing so. Since Pace represents distance-over-time, a character cannot add "more time" to their turn by increasing the distance they move.

What about Running? Could she Walk, then Fly (at ground level) and then Run? Obviously, if in the air at the start of a turn Flying would have to be done (unless she wants to fall) but upon reaching the ground, does she still have 6 movement left, or more if she wants to Run?
    Running adds to basic Pace, and that applies to ALL movement types. A character can "run" while swimming, climbing, or crawling... and yes, even flying!

Running needs to be declared at the beginning of your turn. Where that extra Pace is used is narratively decided, just as long as all the characters Actions that turn receive the -2 running penalty. Let's put this into an example...
    Arok the avian has a Pace of 6", Flight 12", and a d6 running die. He declares he is running, so at the start of his turn he rolls the d6, getting a result of 4. He can add up to 4" to any of his movement types. Arok begins his turn indoors, so he spends 2" of Pace getting outside, then soars into the air. He can now move up to 14".
    ... His normal 12" Flight Pace is reduced by 2 because of the initial movement, but Arok still has the +4" from the run. Another way to think about this is: the initial 2" are subtracted from the run die, so Arok's Flight Pace is 12" plus the remaining 2".

If Arok spends less than 8" flying, he can land and continuing moving on the ground, but the total distanced moved cannot exceed 10" (his basic Pace, plus 4" from running). This is because Arok is much faster in the air than on the ground.
    ... If Arok spends 8" or more flying before landing, he cannot move anymore since he has exhausted his basic Pace for the round.

Hope this helps!

Leave a comment:

• redcap57
    commented on 's reply
    So it's flexibility in motion that counts? Is it flexible enough to walk 2" (edge of a crevasse), then Fly 2" (crossing the crevasse), and then land on the other side and walk 2" for a total movement (Pace) of 6"?

• Mithdraug
    replied
    I think logically it would not make sense. If a monster can fly and move it seems illogical that it could move on the ground X inches and then fly Y inches where if it was high off the ground it could only go Y inches. Pace is the distance you can move (excluding running) in 1 turn, and since you can only do 1 move (unlike actions) it would be capped at that pace for the turn. I could not find any rule that specifically states this, either way (quick look). I have never seen it played where they stack.

Leave a comment:

• Ndreare
    replied
    Originally posted by redcap57 View Post
    Why not both? Why does it not add?
    Imagine it like a race, being able to fly 30 MPH and Run 30 MPH does not mean you can do both at 60 MPH, instead you have options of how you chose to travel while going 30 MPH.

PS: As a note this is also pretty much how it works in every major game I know of.

Leave a comment:

• redcap57
    replied
    Why not both? Why does it not add?

Leave a comment:

• aleguarita
    replied
    It’s not in addition, but work as a replacement. If the player walk and fly on the same turn you can use the better of both. For running I just don’t know for just the flight (I imagine that you don’t have a flight run die)

Leave a comment:

• redcap57
    started a topic Pace and Flying Pace

Pace and Flying Pace

PFSW says Bloodline of Elemental (Air) Sorcerors have a Flying Pace of 6. Is that an addition to their regular Pace? As in, could she walk 6 and then Fly at ground level an additional 6? Since moving and attacking can be broken up this way, is the same true for moving on the ground and Flying? What about Running? Could she Walk, then Fly (at ground level) and then Run? Obviously, if in the air at the start of a turn Flying would have to be done (unless she wants to fall) but upon reaching the ground, does she still have 6 movement left, or more if she wants to Run?
Working...
X