Becoming a werewolf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Becoming a werewolf

As i sit here converting Kobold King into roll20, i got to thinking about the possibility of kung fu werewolves, because of course I did. I was curious if anyone had worked out an edge/race/ancestry/whatever you want to call it for lycanthropy, and how a player might 'buy' it (either at creation, or after a zigging when he should have zagged)

(and yes, i am aware that it is only transmitted from bites from natural weres, this is just inspired by the kobold king adventure.)

Berserk + Claws/Bite is probably the quick and easy way to do it. You can add in Alertness, Regeneration, and Weakness (to silver) if that better suits your game. Maybe a penalty to Smarts, Can't Speak (while transformed)?

Comment

Well, I was thinking more the cost, actually. the rules/stats are already pretty clearly defined, but not in a PC friendly way. what i mean is, does it count as an ancestry? is it considered a wash due to the 'curse?' etc.

Comment

It really depends on how you want to portray it: is it something you want to offer to your players as an ancestry, or is it a curse inflicted upon them? If you want to build it as an ancestry where it is largely an advantage for them (they can change when they choose, they can tell friend from foe, they keep their intelligence, etc), it would be a fairly involved ancestry with a lot of +/- elements.

If it's something that happens to them during the course of the game and has significant unwanted side effects, I wouldn't apply a cost to it. No one wants to spend an Advance to turn into a mindless homicidal beast. Well, most PCs don't.

Comment

This is covered in the bestiary, they’ve got a part of the Lycanthrope pages devoted to it. I actually have a player’s Monk who has suffered two Wounds from a bite. Unless the heal capable characters get a raise on their occult roll, they won’t know how to cure it (I’m ruling this due to conflicting information (in game) on whether lycanthropy is a curse or disease).

Comment

Originally posted by Sarigar View Post
            It really depends on how you want to portray it: is it something you want to offer to your players as an ancestry, or is it a curse inflicted upon them? If you want to build it as an ancestry where it is largely an advantage for them (they can change when they choose, they can tell friend from foe, they keep their intelligence, etc), it would be a fairly involved ancestry with a lot of +/- elements.

If it's something that happens to them during the course of the game and has significant unwanted side effects, I wouldn't apply a cost to it. No one wants to spend an Advance to turn into a mindless homicidal beast. Well, most PCs don't.
            I could easily see a player wanting to play a were, even with the downsides. plenty of opportunity for drama, plus fun character options. I absolutely agree on if is an inflicted curse it should be free, as long as i am reasonably sure the pc wasn't dangling themselves in front of weres like a scooby snack in hopes of getting bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Jiggadias View Post
              This is covered in the bestiary, they’ve got a part of the Lycanthrope pages devoted to it. I actually have a player’s Monk who has suffered two Wounds from a bite. Unless the heal capable characters get a raise on their occult roll, they won’t know how to cure it (I’m ruling this due to conflicting information (in game) on whether lycanthropy is a curse or disease).
              the rules for contracting it, and what abilities are granted, yes. that's not what i am asking. i was asking if anyone had worked out a package players could use to purchase lycanthropy as an ancestry or edge at character creation. i do agree with your ruling though.

Comment

Working...
              X